The LPA Anime Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by SuperDude526, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I don't really understand why they wouldn't use the established characters. I mean, they got you so attached in the first season, to just not use them us downright stupid.

2. Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

Unfortunately, the answer is probably very simple.

[video=youtube;oNZove4OTtI#t=24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZove4OTtI#t=24[/video] :lol:

The anime industry makes some of their profit by selling merchandise, fuckin' tons of it. From Blu-ray sets to statues, from T-shirts to adorable little Nendoroids. It's possible that one of the more shallow reasons for SAO introducing characters like Sinon and placing other characters on the backburner is simply to drive sales for her (and other characters, possibly) figures and other merchandise. They've already sold thousands of Asuna and Leafa figures, after all, why would anyone buy yet another? Well, actually, I'm sure there are fans that would...Who knows?

Not that I'm complaining about new characters, of course, because Sinon seems quite interesting so far. But again, a balance could perhaps be struck here. Shrug.

3. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I just got through season 1of Ouran High School Host Club and as much of a guilty pleasure as it is, I'm pretty upset it's over. Is there someplace besides Netflix to watch these?

4. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

http://www.funimation.com/shows/ouran-high-school-host-club/videos

The official Funimation website via hulu.

I think SD is free to watch and HD you have to have a paid subscription. The free version is the English dub.

Youtube also surprisingly has a shit load of user uploaded episodes that you can watch for free.

Other than that there are sites that specialize in providing fansubs that you can watch but I'll not post them here.

5. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Oh, I guess there's only one season of that one anyways. How sad :cry:

I'll have to... read it.

DW_4x18_The_End_of_Time_(Pt_2)_0990.jpg

6. Serenity

I actually found the first volume of Ouran in an old bookstore a couple months ago, but I wasn't carrying any cash on me to buy it at the time. I, too, am upset they didn't go past just the one season.

I suppose you could always watch the drama series. I have no idea if it's good or not.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  7. Jesse

Anyone watching Tokyo Ghoul or Terror in Ressonance?

8. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I just finished Terror in Resonance. It was a real trip.

Hey guys, I need to ask a quick favor: can anyone list for me the most popular and "best" anime of the last couple seasons? I'm writing a blog post and need to do some research, but MAL and other rating sites aggregate "all time" best anime, and I can't find any that just limit it to recent seasons or whatever.

9. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'm watching Yu Yu Hakusho right now. This thing brings back major memories of when I was in my early teens. Unfortunately I only saw random episodes on Toonami and didn't get into the show much. I'm on episode 52 right now after two days and it's one of the best animes I've seen. It's the uncut dubbed version and it's glorious. Blood, swearing, and easily the best english dub I've heard. Yusuke is hilarious with his bad language and attitude. The character development is pretty spectacular so far as well. I know how the dark tournament arc ends, but everything after that I've never seen. The pacing is some of the tightest I've experienced with animes. DBZ and Bleach can be a chore a lot of the times. It's pretty sweet seeing these uncut episodes though. Got damn.

I watched Bleach throughout the last year. I watched quite a few episodes back in the day when it was first airing in English and thought it was great, but only got as far as the end of the Rukia execution arc. This time I got all 300+ episodes of the subbed but decided to skip all the filler arcs because the storylines sounded horrible and the overall consensus from the fans was that they all suck. Like I said above, the pacing is abysmal. The main story arc is pretty fucking awesome, though. If only they could have trimmed everything in half it would have been the most addicting thing ever. There's still a lot of mystery behind so many characters that I hope they make some more episodes in the future. I'm too lazy to read the manga.

Overall, I hated the way it ended. Aizen didn't live up to the hype and Ichigo pissed me off. Gin was a huge badass. I did really like his brief storyline. I really want to know more about Yamamoto. And I hear Unohana is way, way, way more interesting than we're led to believe in the show.

The only other anime I've watched within the last year was Trigun. That brought back memories, too. I only remembered one random episode from my childhood, but when I saw it again this playthrough I got the chills. It's a really sentimental show and I came away almost enlightened. Such a good anime. This was also dubbed, but it was pretty much perfect. Vash was so fucking cool. It was hard to relate to him though because he was way too lenient on the bad guys, and it got pretty annoying, but it turned out great in the end regardless. Being really dark at times and really heartwarming other times made for a pretty unique experience. But fuck, those dark moments were pretty messed up. Reminded me of certain parts of Akira that I'm pretty sure I'm traumatized from.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  10. Serenity

Alas, I wish I was hip enough to know what the popular stuff is. Though what comes to mind immediately is Attack on Titan and Kill La Kill, those two popped up EVERYWHERE on the internet in the past year or so.

I agree, Trigun's a pretty great anime, though I haven't gotten around to finishing it quite yet. Juggling a bunch of different anime titles can be a bit overwhelming at times!

11. Jesse

Trigun is like one of my most favourite anime of all time, right up there with Cowboy Bebop

12. Serenity

I really should watch Cowboy Bebop sometime...

13. Shourn

Shourn Member

I like reading manga more than watching anime.. But my favourite of both: Naruto, Once Piece, Fairy Tail.. The mainstream ones xD Although I started reading a new one a few weeks ago. Dengeki Daisy. It's awesome! And hrm... I love yaoi... xD

14. SuperDude526

You really should. Solidly in my personal top 10 ever, and many others will tell you the same, for good reason.

15. SuperDude526

Tamako Market. I usually roll my eyes at shows like this, but it kept my attention long enough that I actually finished it. And the movie is pretty well-done as well.

16. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Just started Kill la Kill. Falling for it pretty quickly. Love the art direction of it. Not sure if the hyper sexualization helps or hurts :lol:

17. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend me some anime similar to Death Note, Danganronpa the Animation, and Persona 4 the Animation? Basically crime solving stuff, it's the only type of anime I can get into anymore. Pretty interesting stuff, would love to see more like them if anyone knows any.

18. Jesse

High five! I loved Tomako Market and JUST recently discovered that there was a movie. I'll have to watch it sometime. :)

I think that the hyper sexualized costumes and fan-service were to the detriment of the show. I stopped watching after a while.

Zankyou no Terror. - Crime Solving and Terrorists in Japan.

Tokyo Ghoul. - There are Ghouls that are tracked down by a special force. The Ghouls are the protagonists though. :lol:

Steins;Gate... - Just watch it. It does involve time-travel though. One of the best anime ever.

Cowboy Bebop - Jazz Scifi Space Bounty Hunters. SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY.

GHOST IN THE SHELL - Hunt of Security Agency Section #9

Hyouka - A School Mystery

Trigun - Vash the Stampede is a menis! Or is he? ;) He's sought after by countless bounty hunters but is always somehow saving the day.

The fee for this post and these suggestions is sixty billion double dollars. Pay up!

19. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

^I could see how it might get old to some and how some might be interested in it for solely that purpose. Idk, I'm in a weird gray area with it. It doesn't make me less interested in the story, it's just kind of there lol.

20. Mr. Awesome

Mr. Awesome Well-Known Member

Currently watching Magi. Who ever created the series did a pretty cool take on the Arabian Folklores and also watching Bleach again.