The LPunderground issue

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by ana, Sep 20, 2010.

ana

ana anaPHX LPA VIP

Hey guys!

I'm sure that you've all already heard that the LPU is going to move from the sparkart to the NING platform.

linkinpark.com, lpstreetteam.com and musicforrelief.org were already moved to NING and they are going to do the same with the LPUnderground.
    That means:

- We will loose the LPUMB, our beloved joining dates and (minor) post count.
    - The Design is going to be more basic
    - possible hacking (?)

+ we would know more about LPUX

Anyway we LPUers want to show Linkin Park (especially Mike) that we don't want the LPUMB to be moved to NING and neither the chat to be like on LP.com.

So we created a twitter @Save_The_LPU which you can follow if you want to support us.

We thought we could do something stronger/better than a petition so if we RT or mention to @m_shinoda @linkinpark @heydudeimadam and @phoenixlp our wish, we might get heard.

thx!

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Great idea Ana!
    But if "the powers that be" want LPU to go NING I doubt theres anything we can try to do to change their minds.

But We'll just have to wait & see.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

If I could add my two cents real quick, I just want to say that although such a 'twititon' probably won't get anywhere, that I hate NING, and never liked how 'cheap' it made the official site look. I know that Sparkart cost too much and became difficult to work with, but they always stood for quality when it came to the site designs. Now they look cheap (no offense to who designed them). But since this is likely the future of LP, I'm just gonna have to grin and bear it.

Meryl_

Meryl_ Well-Known Member

The usability of LP.com is horrible and the forum is a pain for my eyes (that's why i rejoined the LPA btw) - if they do the same for the LPU that's BS.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I'll post my thoughts from LPL:

Please know I'm not trying to undermine what you guys are doing, I'm just throwing a different perspective out there.

We've been begging for LPU upgrades for years, and every year there are only minor changes and everyone always gets all worked up about it.

This year, they finally decide to shake things up, and now we want to stop them because we want to keep things the way they are? That's really a complete 180 for a lot of people.

I have not been on the LPUMB for years. Why? It really is not that active anymore, at least the last time I looked. I stopped using the message boards for good when I discovered LPL. I honestly believe you'll find more hardcore fans on LPA or on LPL than on the LPU. I've said this many times, I think someone sig'd me for it, but the LPU has been overrun by a bunch of immature trolls. I can understand why someone active in the LPU community for many years would miss the message boards, but it's been a slow degradation.

Being sentimental about the message boards and post counts and join dates is understandable, but sacrificing that for real change in the LPU, to me, seems like a small price to pay (the irony of my word choice is that it costs 60 dollars lulzzzzz).

But overall, I personally do not want to save the LPU, OR change the LPU, until we get some sort of idea of what the change might be. All anyone has said so far about LPUX is that "we want to try to make it a better experience." Yeah, great, what else is new? We need specifics. And seeing how huge this change would be, I really think the band or Adam or someone should not be afraid to tell the fans what they're thinking about doing, even if plans aren't 100% confirmed.

lpfmfan

lpfmfan On My Own

I don't like NING and the fact that (this especially hurts me the most) our forums will be deleted and have ning-style forums is complete BS. I hate the forums at LPN, I accept the fact that Linkin Park are most likely going to move the LPU to NING, as much as I don't want them to but there's GOT to be a way to at least keep the forums. I mean the forums now are powered by vBulletin, couldn't we just keep that? Keep the subdomain? or make another one?

It was sad enough when they transferred LinkinPark.com to NING I don't want to see the LPU moved either..even if it must can't we have our own space? Keep the forums.

We got 100 followers in a matter of hours..still hasn't been a full day since we created the account and we currently have 167 followers, follow @Save_The_LPU!

ana

ana anaPHX LPA VIP

I know we all wanted to IMPROVE the LPU, but to me Ning is not an improvement.

Derek

If we can afford 160 a year for a vBulletin forum, I can't see why Linkin Park couldn't keep the forums as vBulletin on both the main site and LPU. I'm sorry. I support the band but NING has to be one of the ugliest and design unfriendly social networks out there that I've ever seen. There's other ways to expand LP's social outreach then to degrade the visual quality of going with an inexpensive social network. Honestly.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

my main question is, is moving everything to NING completely confirmed yet? We seem to be coming out with all these conclusions for LPU to be completely moved to NING, including the Message Boards and nothing has really been revealed else wise.

Derek

It hasn't been confirmed but since LPU's moving to LP.com, its safe to say it's going to happen.

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

Meh, I'm OK with it. Ning's design is flexible and will change in professionalism over time. When it comes right down to it I think the move to ning acknowledges that content must be easy to work with and export. It's very web2.0. Frankly I'd rather LP.com have a Flavors.me page, but.. I'm unique like that.

Meryl_

Meryl_ Well-Known Member

Well the problem with the web 2.0 is that people are all about it's my blog, my status, my tweet, my etc. when all of this should be about having the occasion to exchange. I don't think the new design will help gathering the community together, who reads the LP.com board for more than 10 minutes here? I know I don't.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I just care about concert tickets, underground music, meet and greets, and band chats. I honestly couldn't care less. They realize that no one goes on the LPU boards anyways so they matters well save some money.

cstebila

cstebila an emerging paradigm

I'll be honest, I don't know a ton about the issues at hand (I'm not an LPU member) however I strongly agree that the current linkinpark.com is far from a "good" band site in shape or fashion. Despite having all the plugins, its difficult on the eyes, poorly organized, etc. It also seems that LPU has been kinda treatin its member's like s*** lately, which is ironic because it was complained about for the last several years and all you are seeing higher prices (double, that's um, high, you ever see anything double in price, ever?) and that which seemingly benefits not LPU members, but whoever's in charge.

I know at the current rate, I would and will never join LPU.

The fact that you're practically pleading with officials shows the extent of the problem. If I were the band, I'd be embarrassed how LPU is currently being ran (if everything people are talking about is in fact true).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    _Depression

_Depression Well-Known Member

They realize that ALMOST no one goes on the LPU boards. There are about 10 or 15 of us that are still dedicated to the board.

The one biggest problem with the LPUX program is the lack of any definite facts - other than the price, that is. Adam (on behalf of the LPU) has consistently told us in the LPU that "nothing is confirmed" and "we're still working" on things... Well, that's simply not enough coming from a business of any type, let alone a social network like the LPU is supposed to be. In order to save me from rewriting it all, I'll just copy/paste my thoughts from the LPU forums:

This is called bad business practice.

Imagine LPUX was a stock in the NYSE (or any other SE), and they announced in a press conference only the price and vague aspirations. The stock would never sell, the company would be ridiculed for trying to sell stock at $60 a share (hell, they'd be ridiculed for trying to sell at $6 a share), and the press would have a field day.

Any good business has a product before they try to sell it. Whether it's Sony, Nintendo, or Victoria's Secret, you can't sell something that doesn't exist. What the LPUX is right now, is a few sketches and blueprints on lined paper and maybe a fancy Powerpoint. That's it.

You don't pay $60 for dreams and wishes.

Benjamin

You're taking this way too seriously dude. It's not like you have to buy it now. It's only the pre order. If you don't want to pre order, you can wait until more information is available. Then decide if it's worth it.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

This.

cstebila

cstebila an emerging paradigm

He's right though, it is bad business practice.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

If they reveal all the new ideas as soon as LPUX launches, then fine.

If it launches and we still don't know anything about what we're getting, come on. We need some sort of idea of why we're paying more money.

Benjamin

Of course they will. If they don't, I'll jump on the "LPUX sucks dick" bandwagon like a lot of you. The primary purpose of the pre order was most likely for the people who wanted to go to the NYC show or the Lazar show. And already being a member of LPUX was a bonus. When it launches, of course they'll release more details. If they didn't then yes, that would be absurd. But again guys, it's just a fanclub. Comparing it to a stock in the NYCE is a little overboard IMO.