The Official 2012 U.S. Presidential Election Thread

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Jesse, Oct 26, 2012.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

So, it's that time again. Here's the place to discuss American politics, controversy and if you're planning to vote and who you're voting for and for what reasons.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

2016? Let's get through 2012 first :lol:

I will, of course, be voting for President Obama.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

As will I.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Same.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

This being my first Presidential election, I wanted to save my choice until the final few days / weeks of the election and campaigning. After hearing all there is to hear and the candidates making it obvious on what they are similar and differ on, I feel confident saying my vote will go to President Barack Obama. Feels weird since I'm a registered Republican and for my first vote, it's going to a Democrat, but I think that's a terrible way of thinking. Party politics influence people far too much. There are members of my family that, no matter who the candidate, they will vote strictly out of party loyalty.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I think it's ridiculous that some states require you to register with a party when you register to vote. Missouri doesn't - I'm not registered as anything. I don't understand why identifying yourself with a party is necessary to vote.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I voted for Gary Johnson. Even though I find Obama a much more acceptable candidate than Mitt Romney, I had to vote my conscience. I'm not a big fan of the whole kill list/drone war/NDAA/infringing on civil liberties thing.

RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

If I were american, i would vote Obama for PBS' sake

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Obama for the sake of receiving money from the government to help pay for college. Mitt plans on taking that away

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

shinformant

shinformant Banned

Psh, I'm gonna be making a REAL difference by making an early start on astroturfing for whoever succeeds Ron Paul as the crackpot perennial loser. OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEPLE!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'm not positive if it's required here in New Jersey or not, but I felt it necessary to register one way or another so I can participate in the primaries, regardless of how unimportant they truly are.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I voted for Gary Johnson. Almost went green party. Just wasn't going to go with one of the two major parties.

jedibeaner

jedibeaner Well-Known Member

I am definitely voting for Obama again. I agree with almost all his policies and am happy with his current presidency.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

If the GOP ever manages to produce a candidate in my lifetime that doesn't blatantly hate everyone in this country who isn't a white, rich, Christian man, I'll consider voting for them. Until then, I'll stick with the party whose agenda doesn't revolve around the idea of "a poor country is one that needs its government."

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

The key to voting for one of the two major parties is because voting for 3rd parties just won't make much of a dent on either majority party. In a nation where the two candidates will change the next four years of your life, I'd definitely stick to voting for the two major parties in order to make an impact on my future. Even if I didn't fully agree with either party or if my morals tell me to vote differently.

Brandon

And yet if everyone who thought this way decided to take a stand and vote for a third party, they'd make a difference.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Sadly, we won't be having a black horse candidate anytime soon. There are far too many dedicated party line voters and mostly ignorant of third party voters out there.

Brandon

Okay, I HAVE to share this. Not necessarily to Obama bash, but just to demonstrate the effect our divisive partisan system has on our perception of politics.

This is a video of a guy going up to Obama supporters and telling them some facts about Mitt Romney's policies. Except, they aren't actually Romney's, they're Obama's.

[video=youtube;Skw-0jv9kts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Skw-0jv9kts[/video]

Notice the language used by the people when they think they're discussing Romney. "Immoral," "dictatorship," "unconstitutional," "psychopath," "stupid," etc.

Then notice the language when it is revealed to be Obama's policies. "Those are not facts," "well I don't agree with everything, but..."

Just keep this in mind when you think about where you stand with politics. If you're objective, context doesn't matter.

Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

I'm also going with Gary Johnson for this one.

I'm registered as independent, myself, which works out just fine for me.