The Official Mars Volta Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Branden, May 1, 2006.

1. Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I almost feel that they should take out Roulette Dares and replace it with maybe Apparatus and Take The Veil. Roulette Dares is kind of tired to me. I'm really happy they're playing Frances The Mute, the song, though. I was kind of hoping they'd play Meccamputechture though.

2. Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

3. Branden

Cedric's volume is so high on those bootlegs. But other than that, Day of Baphomets sounds great. And I like the more attackful rhythm section on Vermicide, but that might just be due to the recording rather than what they actually played. That's as far as I've listened to the bootleg so far, though.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  4. Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

*Downloading* I've heard that this new drummer is really good. Different from Jon but as good as him. I am also interested in the sax parts and bass solo in "Day of the Baphomets"....such a crazy song!

Day of the baphomets
    Vermicide
    Cygnus Vismund Cygnus
    The Widow
    Frances the Mute
    Tetregrammaton
    Asilos Magdalena
    Viscera Eyes
    Roulette Dares (The Haunt of)

5. Branden

I love the Con Safo jam at the end of Cygnus in that live set. It's one of my favorite Mars Volta riffs ever (up there with even the ending of Frances The Mute, parts 2 & 3 of Cassandra, Meccamputechture's beginning riff, and basically everything from Take The Veil) and I loved hearing it drawn out that far.

6. Methybrea

Yeah the "Con Safo" jam was great as was the jam at the end of "Roulette Dares". Is that BLAKE?? Damn right, he did a great little drum solo that makes me finally appreciate what Omar has done. This guy grooves like a mofo all over the gig and is creative or more than Jon was.

Thanks Franny, (and the original poster on the Comatorium) for this bootleg!!

7. Methybrea

I don't want to double post but I have to! There was an incident at Endfest in Seattle. The crowd was moshing and Cedric as you well know is against that so he said to stop, and during Day of the Baphomets a fan threw a bottle of urine at him and Omar's way and events eventually spiralled until the band walked off halfway through their set!

http://www.thecomatorium.com/board/index.php?showtopic=64820

Stupid, stupid people...:rolleyes:

8. Branden

Well, the Chili Peppers tour is getting off to a great start.

9. Methybrea

Indeed. I have tickets to the Toronto show I hope nothing goes awry before or during the show.

It must be all those hXc Seattle n00bs

10. Branden

I think I'm going to hold off until they go on a solo tour. I pray they come somewhere in Ohio. Then I pray I can find one of my friends who will be able to tolerate The Mars Volta enough to go with me.

11. Methybrea

Well being as The Peppers are also one of my favourite bands (i'm not kidding) this joint tour is a blessing for me!

But yes Volta solo shows would kick ass!

Edit: TMV Setlist from first show in Portland:

Roulette Dares (~15-20 mins)
    Widow (~4 mins)
    Tetragrammaton (~17 mins)
    Viscera Eyes (~12 mins)
    Day Of The Baphomets (~11 mins)

So about an hour of them on stage! Not bad and they played some great songs! Although I really wished they played Frances the Mute...too bad I gotta wait for a solo show or headlining tour.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2006
  12. Methybrea

Here's the footage for the walkoff! Its on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A850nknFcg

During Viscera Eyes they threw the bottle of piss after they said to cut out the moshing. Then in "Day of the Baphomets" Juan does his bass solo and as they are about to break into the sax breakdown Omar's guitar totally cuts out and he flips and starts smashing his guitar against his amps! Then Cedric makes a speech and then they walk out!

13. Branden

Typically I would despise a band for doing that, but under these circumstances, that's the coolest thing ever.

14. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I think even Trent Reznor finished the show when he got a Bic lighter thrown at his face. Geez.

15. Cale.

Cale. Banned

I thought Cedric didn't like 'breaking character'. I guess i'd be pissed [excuse the pun] if I got piss thrown at me.

16. Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

Oh come on, wouldn't you quit if someone threw piss at you ?

Why would you throw piss at someone in the first place ?

Maybe The Mars Volta shouldn't have said they couldn't mosh because that's something the crowd can decide by it's self (if it isn't against the rules 'cause if you're not allowed to mosh, you don't mosh.)

It's just stupid, maybe The Mars Volta said they had to stop moshing because some big guys were hurting a little kid or something. That happens.

Throwing something at a band is stupid (like that Nickelback thing was kinda funny) but piss is just gross.

In another point of view maybe they should've finished their set for the other people in the crowd who didn't do anything. It really depends on what happened.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  17. Branden

Some insight from Cedric as to why Jon left/was asked to leave:

Interviewer: What is the Mars Volta's main weakness?

Cedric: Any member who doesn't trust Omar and myself blindly. Musicians who we have to ask to leave because the don't want to work as hard as the rest of us.

Interviewer: Like the departure of Jon...

Cedric: ... like i said. Thank God system of a down gave us enough time to work on new material hours before the gig started. We'd sit together till the afternoon, in order to record. But while we were doing that, Jon played video games or would sleep of his hangovers because he parties till five AM. Jon loved it all except the work involved.

Interviewer: So you put up with that for an amazingly long time!

Cedric: Bless Jon but after five years of his laziness, i'd had enough. Some people might say we're crazy for firing such a talented drummer. But there is more to the Mars Volta than Jon Theodore's mad drumming.

18. Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Man, I hope this shuts the "Jon Theodore was the only talent in the band" fans up.

19. Branden

I think as far as technically musically talented, he probably was the most talented of them all.
    As far as creatively, I think differently. Not to say he wasn't creative, because I'm sure the man could write far more creative songs on any instrument than I ever could, but compared to some of the other members, I don't think so.
    But oh well, I'm liking Blake.

20. Methybrea

Can I have a source for that? LOL

I know its Cedric but it sounds so blatant and accusational! It seems like it was made up by somebody you know? I didn't think that Jon was like that it seemed to me like he had a tireless work ethic, or that was my impression anyways....oh well I am loving Blake's drumming anyways it is very tight!