THE SALES OF LINKIN PARK (and other Band)

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Kaito, May 3, 2014.

1. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

You and I are one of the few people here who actually care about LP's sales. Almost every time I bring up the commercial side of LP, I get shot down by someone on either this site or LPLive, and it's been that way for several years, so I rarely even mention it. With THP, it was never meant to be a commercial success since the beginning, and while I did enjoy the album still, it disappointed me that LP chose to not care about chart success during the process. Now, I would not want them to sell out and completely cater to radio; I'm not saying that at all, but I would like for them to strike a nice balance, a la WFTE. That song is so well crafted in the way that it's both unique and caters to radio. If they could just create something special and creative without shooting themselves in the foot commercially; That's what I would like.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I wish i could see them sometime reach the 100 Million :lol: But i doubt that they sell 40 million more :lol:

3. HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

I'm one of those few people too.

4. Migueltorres

Migueltorres Well-Known Member

I care about sales , i m sad to see LP drops in sales , i mean , if next record sells less Than THP it ' ll be under the million ...

5. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Actually me too, it was disappointing to see THP fail to reach #1. LT was relatively successful (only small sales drop compared to ATS) because it had BID as a major radio hit. THP didn't have that. If LP want to reclaim #1, they gotta release a radio-freindly lead single with a proper music video. But honestly, I doubt LP will ever be big again.

6. crazygolfer

Yeah, they'll never be near as big as they used to be, but I believe that they are still relevant and big enough to still get another major hit if they really choose to go that route. As I've stated in my previous post, I'd love for them to create a song that's both radio friendly, creative, and different than anything they've done. That way, we get the best of both worlds. For me, chart watching is half the fun of when a new single/album drops. It's exciting to track it and see how it'll do.

7. Migueltorres

I hope they win another Grammy , I was very disappointed when ATS and THP didn t even get nominated :(

8. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Same here. I mean, if Drones can win a Grammy then LP should at least be nominated. Then again, LP has never been favored too heavily by critics so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

9. Migueltorres

Yea Thinking that Drones won the Grammy and ATS or even HT didn' t is so weird ...

10. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

ATS should have at least been nominated. Muse keeps winning because they are British and make music that sound sophisticated. Drones was so below average. Its been a year since it released? I hardly listen to more than 3 songs off it on a regular basis. THP and ATS still have me listening to the entire album from start to finish.

Can't really say. Remember when GreenDay went down before American Idiot and with that album, they became "big" again? All it takes is one popular album and if it gets nominated for a Grammy, then that's another big boost.

11. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

LP have never been critic darlings. They don't deserve to be shit-listed. They're certainly a band worthy of respect (sometimes even more so than many critically acclaimed artists), but that's the music industry. It's a shitty, sociopathic industry.

12. Migueltorres

Hope the New album does big , 2 million copies , #1 in US and a single in the top 50 for some weeks

13. crazygolfer

14. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

UPDATE

LINKIN PARK

ALBUM IN STUDIO

(2000) HYBRID THEORY: 20,000,000

(2003) METEORA: 13,100,000

(2007) MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT: 7,900,000

(2010) A THOUSAND SUNS: 2,800,000

(2012) LIVING THINGS: 2,400,000

(2014) THE HUNTING PARTY: 1,300,000

EP, LIVE, REMIX

(2001) FRAT PARTY AT THE PANCAKE FESTIVAL: 500,000

(2002) REANIMATION: 3,900,000

(2003) LIVE IN TEXAS: 3,500,000

(2004) COLLISION COURSE: 4,900,000

(2008) ROAD TO REVOLUTION: 1,200,000

(2013) RECHARGED: 500,000

MINOR RELASES: 500,000

TOTAL: 62,500,000 copies worldwide

15. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

If we're talking about that...

I rather have an album well received by critics than an album well received commercially.

Not that I care much though. Both those things are like little bonus.

Iopia likes this.
  16. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

DEATH GRIPS

17. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Did "The Hunting Party" really "bomb", though? I feel like any album that ultimately reaches 1+ million sales now days is a success. Especially for the kind of album it was. With the direction it seems like they're going, I think LP7 will be even more successful/marketable.

Deliveranze likes this.
  18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it's hard to deny the marketing for the album was pretty bad (there's plenty of people unfamiliar with the band's work who think they are still doing electronic music, Living Things) but I don't consider THP to be a failure. It kind of sucks there was only 2 music videos (GATS doesn't count) and those songs don't accurately represent the album.
    On the whole, it was critically well received and it sold a pretty good amount in 2014, especially for a band that changes its sound so consistently. Besides a few songs, it's really LP's most "underground" album.

TheInterframe likes this.
  19. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

20. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The band definitely doesn't seem to have the same 'commercial appeal' as they did in the early 00s based off of statistics, but I get the feeling that's something the band really hasn't worried about in a long time. You have to consider that their first 3 records were some of the biggest and most successful albums of the decade. They really don't have much they need to prove to themselves or the world at this point, and it's not really surprising that the next 3 albums that followed were some of their most experimental work. LT was a little more 'familiar' which likely explains why it's the best selling of the 'latter 3', but both ATS and THP were big risks for the band (when compared to the 'popular music' at the time) so it's not really a big surprise those albums didn't sell as a high, considering the band's 'original sound' was mostly abandoned.

Michele likes this.