Thoughts on Burn It Down?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Promofrog, Apr 16, 2012.

?

What do you think?

1. I love it! I've replayed it a few times!

74 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. I like it.

34 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Not bad.

16 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Meh. Not as good as What I've Done/The Catalyst.

17 vote(s)
    11.0%
  5. I hate it!

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. 10

19 vote(s)
    12.3%
  7. 9

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  8. 8

24 vote(s)
    15.5%
  9. 7

16 vote(s)
    10.3%
  10. 6

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  11. 5

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  12. 4

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  13. 3

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. 2

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  15. 1

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Exactly. This is why I love it.

Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

I LOVE IT

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

After about 8 replays, it has certainly grown on me.

I understand why they're going with this as the first single, and I think it was the right choice.

Bring on the whole album on June!

Yatesy

Yatesy Member

The chord sequence for BID definitely sounds like old Linkin Park styles.. there are alot more synths than HT and Meteora but to say that this song is 'nothing like' them would be wrong, this is the closest they have got since those two albums.

Promofrog

Promofrog Banned

I never said it didn't, I was talking about the attention taken away from 50-80% live drumming to focus on 90% electronic drums on the newer tracks, it just fails live in my opinion, it is boring to me to hear a heavily produced beat get half played by a talented drummer on an electronic kit as Joe sways looking bored to the right of him, having pressed a shiny blue button which outdoes all of his efforts.

People would get really pissed if a vocoder track was mixed in with Chester's vocals live, Chester then sings a little out of time at points, exposing the polished sounding, unorganic recording underneath which leaves the audience standing there and saying:
    "Why don't they just play the record."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

I liked Hybrid Theory
    I loved Reanimatin
    I loved Meteora
    I hated MTM
    I loved ATS

And I think this song is total cr*p. Make of it what you will.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Who says Rob doesn't play the electronic drums live? Have you even LISTENED to anything I've posted so far? He's playing all of it live. If he's not playing it live, it's Brad and Chester on their drumsets.

Even the electronic beats are being played by Rob. Listen to The Catalyst live.

And your vocoder example doesn't fly at all. Do you know what a vocoder is? If you're talking about pre-recorded vocal tracks, then NO SHIT. That's a backing track, electronic or no. A vocoder requires a microphone and some sort of instrumental input to transform the voice. AKA what they do on The Catalyst. Or what Mike does in The Requiem. Or what Pendulum does in Hold Your Colour.

That explains a lot.

Promofrog

Promofrog Banned

I'm actually thoroughly disappointed with this song, it's as if Warner Bros selected this song from the demo pile and got RedOne to finish it off.

Perhaps the most rushed Linkin Park song ever, I am devastated, and I have loved every era of the band before this.

Spiderguy252

I just don't dig the playschool vibe of the entire thing. If you absolutely have to, then mux it with the other extreme - as in Blackout's loud screams et al - but the vocals on this one went in the same direction of ironically, the equally boring Burning in the Skies.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

It's a good song for listening to.

Compared to many of the songs I listen to, it fits in nicely in some playlist. Compared to other Linkin Park songs though, it doesn't stand out and i will probably wear it out after enough listens, just like how I do with other songs from bands that are not my favorite band.

On account that A Thousand Suns is my favorite album, I expect this Living Things to challenge me.

Minus

Burning in the Skies... boring?

I can see people saying In Between is boring... but BITS? I don't see it. What's wrong with people these days?

Spiderguy252

They've just begun to have individual tastes. Weird, no?

The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

Every time I listen to Burning in the Skies, the grooving bass gives me the chill. It'S simply amazing.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Minus reinstated what I posted earlier about The Catalyst example. Rob does play those parts live.

However, this comment about Burning in the Skies being boring almost comforts me in a way. I absolutely love BITS, in my top 3 off ATS, so our musical interests are obviously very different. Burn It Down is a lot of things, but I can't say boring is one of them.

Anyways, this isn't really a debate, just people sharing their opinions. I'm not too surprised that most people don't like it since it's much more "pop", "mainstream", or whatever you want to call it. I'm okay with mainstream. I'm okay with a song that I can jam to in my car. I'm okay with having an album I can play with my friends without having to skip interludes just to get to the next song. Structure isn't always bad. I'm all for experimenting, and Linkin Park did that. I'm glad they seem to be on solid ground again though.

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

The song was too basic for me. Snail put it most eloquently: "curiously bland". I feel like with the sounds in this song, I should have come away with more, but I didn't. I also wasn't a fan of the echo effects on Mike's vocal...made the rap sound cheesy. I heard it and seriously thought, "That's it?"

There was ONE part that I thought would be the saving grace of this song and it was woefully too short. It is the little drum breakdown that starts prior to the final chorus right at 2:50. I really wish that had been its own breakdown, but alas...no dice. I also thought Mike's rap could have been a bit better. It's Blackbirds-like in structure, and I far preferred those lyrics.

As a song itself, it is quite average. I played it for a few non-LP Fans and they were underwhelmed. General consensus: "Not bad...but nothing special."

As a LP song, it feels like quite a step back. I'm hoping this song was most a label-pressure kind of thing after the rein they gave LP on the last album.

Very eh for me. I give it a 5 (average).

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Well, maybe they wanna ditch WB and go indie, so they rushed this record... But, I hope that's not the situation. Although the laziness of Burn It Down gravitates towards it. When you listen to something from HT, MTM or ATS and BID, you get the feeling that they've written this song in one day.

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

Huh. I thought opinions were a thing?

Minus

Especially when they're wrong.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

My brother called it "predictable", my sister called it "boring". :annoyed:

20. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor