Thrice Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Atticus, Jul 14, 2014.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

After people began making Thrice comparisons to several elements of The Hunting Party, I decided to blindly dive into their discography. What an incredible shot in the dark that ended up becoming! This band is so diverse, I can't help but compare them to Linkin Park's equally transcending career.

Although early on I regretted my decision, as Thrice's first few albums felt stagnant in sound, The Artist In The Ambulance finally sounds great as a cohesive album with several powerful anthems. Vheissu is a risky dabble into unknown territory, although the result is spectacular as the more experimental mix of softer more melodic ballads with their heavy aggressive origins feels like second nature and a proper evolution.

The Alchemy Index is a conceptual masterpiece. The idea of taking 4 individual EPs and devoting each disc to a separate natural element was an incredibly ambitious and daunting task, yet Thrice greatly exceeded my expectations. Fire is a purely aggressive, piercing album. Water is simply magical in how it incorporates a digital filter to the music to feel as though you're listening underwater. Air actually feels like you're floating on a feather in a vast, calming soundscape. Last but not least, Earth brings the conceptual release to a humble finale with incredible acoustic performances. I dream for the day Linkin Park becomes this ambitious, as Thrice's efforts are nothing short of phenomenal.

Beggars and Major/Minor feel largely similar to one another, however they carry enough diversity between each album that they are both welcome additions. The stripped-back, organic side of Thrice is just as compelling as their previous, more dense endeavours. When I listen to these albums, I feel battle-hardened years of experience and passion gushing from the music. The absence of any truly heavy, screaming vocals feels like a missed opportunity however, as I feel Dustin Kensrue has some of the most tasteful screams outside of Chester himself.

Overall I'm incredibly glad I took a chance with Thrice. They definitely proved themselves worthy as a band that transcended post-hardcore territory, resulting in alternative rock anthems, emotional ballads, aggressive hard-rock/metal, and brilliant acoustic performances, all while presenting glorious instrumentation and poetic lyrics. It's a shame they are currently on a hiatus, but I hope they will eventually return with a renewed passion. I'm hoping there are other forum members here who share the same positive experience I had.

RECOMMENDED TRACKS - Never has a band given me so much difficulty in selecting a list of songs, other than Linkin Park

The Earth Will Shake: Heavy and aggressive while extremely experimental thanks to several shifts in sound. I would kill for a cover from LP.
    Atlantic, Circles, In Exile: Equally stunning softer, melodic alternative tracks.
    For Miles, Music Box: Songs that begin soft and quiet but grow overtime until the final minutes explode with intensity.
    Like Moths To Flame: Everything wonderful about this band in a single song.
    Of Dust And Nations: Has a siren-like synth in the intro that sounds remarkably like "Lost In The Echo".
    The Alchemy Index: Seriously, you need to listen to it all. Such a powerful journey, though if I HAD to choose one song from each element, they would be the following:
    Fire: Firebreather - That epic, siren-esque synth is bone-chilling. The crushing vocals and guitars are an added bonus.
    Water: Digital Sea - The best showcase of feeling underwater, along with incredible vocals.
    Air: Daedalus - This is a brilliant ballad. Nuff said.
    Earth: The Earth Is Humming - An acoustic performance that carries an amazingly powerful ambience.
    Yellow Belly, Talking Through Glass, Red Sky: Brilliant alternative rock anthems.
    Call It In The Air: A soaring, gigantic rock ballad.
    Anthology: The band's swan song.