Thrice

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by chris2, Dec 23, 2014.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Considering the general timeline for leaks, the album should hopefully appear online in the next couple of days and I can't fucking wait!

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Since it hasn't been posted yet; Thrice have released a video for Black Honey:

[video=youtube;C9GTEsNf_GU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9GTEsNf_GU[/video]

chris2

Sorry for the double post, but this is just too good:

[video=youtube;2TiDTE1UyM0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TiDTE1UyM0[/video]

Another new Thrice song. Friday can't come soon enough!

Atticus

I had high hopes for Death From Above, and those hopes were surpassed! The chorus strikes like Fire EP and the outro is all Vheissu. Also probably features my favourite vocal melody on the album thus far, and the way Dustin screams "sky" before his defeated "tell me why" at the end of each chorus is chilling.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The new album is fantastic! My favourite of 2016 thus far. Especially "Whistleblower".

Atticus

Thematically, this album feels like Thrice's Living Things. It's an amalgamation of their entire career. Hurricane is an undisputed masterpiece. That guitar riff needs to be injected into my veins. The Window and The Long Defeat are organic Thrice at their absolute best, and make most of Beggars andMajor/Minor seem tame in comparison. Black Honey and Death From Above are still equally impressive tunes. Stay With Me is Thrice's first attempt at a honest power ballad and they knocked it out of the fucking park. Then you've got Salt and Shadow closing the guitar and drum driven album with a chilling electronic symphony concocted from Water/Air on The Alchemy Index, not to mention the final few seconds of Hurricane on piano wrapping the ending to the beginning masterfully.

The single most impressive thing to me is the fact that Thrice is known to jam their songs out in the studio, and yet this album was largely created from stems and seeds. Somehow they still pulled off some of the most incredible jamming of their career.

Without question my album of the year so far.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    chris2

Agreed! This album is brilliant! I had high hopes for this record and they were surpassed by a wide margin. As soon as the riffs in Hurricane kicked in I got chills. Salt and shadow sounds like something from the Alchemy Index era. Some songs even harken back to the grittier heavier sound of Vheissu. This and the new Architects record are definitely gonna end up in my top 5 this year.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Gonna head over to a record store today that has the album on hold for me on LP. :awesome:

Atticus

Cannot stop listening to this album. Hurricane, The Window, The Long Defeat, Whistleblower, and Salt And Shadow are just outstanding.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Stay With Me, Hurricane and Whistleblower are my top 3. Love how the latter is clearly about Snowden.

Atticus

Thrice actually confirmed in a tweet that Whistleblower is not about Snowden, although it's not entirely unconnected either.

"@Snowden not about. Definitely not unconnected though."

Speculation believes it to be about his time with Mars Church Hill during the hiatus and the chaos that unraveled there.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Please elaborate. I'm interested in learning about this.

Atticus

I'm not entirely sure what transpired, as I've only been a fan of Thrice since 2014. From what I gather, during the hiatus between Major/Minor and TBEITBN, Dustin worked as a priest/"worship leader" for Mars Church Hill under some relatively famous pastor by the name of Mark Driscoll. Some controversy conspired involving Driscoll that basically caused civil mutiny. Apparently there was tyrannical leadership of some kind, and he was caught plagiarizing material for a New York Times Bestseller book. The entire church basically burned itself down and Dustin resigned as a result.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I digged the record. Could finally listen to it with decent speakers :)

Sonic

Real pimped to be seeing Thrice Friday night down at The Fillmore in Philadelphia!

Sonic

A new song, titled The Grey, from their upcoming album, has been playing on the radio for last few hours.

No promotion.
    No word from the band.
    Nothing.

Just dropped from the sky.

Get hype.

chris2 and Gibs like this.
    Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[​IMG]

chris2 and Sonic like this.
    chris2

Yay! Hopefully they'll play at least one or two new songs when I see them live in June!

Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

Affirmation. Excitement.
    (But you could've used this thread. :C Can anyone melt them?)

Atticus

Probably the most Thrice way to release a new lead single. According to their Twitter, more news is coming on Tuesday. Hopefully an album announcement.

Not too sure what I think of The Grey. It sounds like a Foo Fighters song, especially Dustin's vocals which sound very Dave Grohl-esque here. Not saying that's a bad thing, but the song just doesn't really stand out. That said, Blood On The Sand was arguably the worst song from TBEITBN so I'm still optimistic about the upcoming album.