Tomb Raider Anniversary: Lara's Back!

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Derek, Feb 22, 2007.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It's that time again! I did it for Legend, and now that a new Tomb Raider game is going to be released in about a month or two I think it's time to educate you Legend lovers on what's next in Lara's itinerary.

This game has been getting nothing but good press since it has been announced. Previews are saying that the game addresses all if not most of the complaints found in Legend, and that the game is on track to be a truly challenging and highly awesome Tomb Raider game.

The headset? Gone. On screen hints? Optional. Not only that, Lara has no high tech gadgets at her disposal this time around, and only has a old fashioned grappling hook (now usable on some rock walls as well rather than just metal like in Legend), and her old brown backpack that everyone loved so much. For those fans who claimed the music never shut up in Legend, Crystal Dynamics is trying a new soundtrack idea that few video games take advantage of this time around: ambient noise. Musical scores will only pop up when exciting things happen (like in the original) and between those times, Lara will be comforted by nothing other than the sound of water dripping off the walls and her footsteps echoing on the ground. Crystal Dynamics are trying to bring back that feeling of isolation found in the first game, so don't expect Zip or Allister to bail her out of a sticky situation, as she is on her own.

Despite the fact that this game will not be released to next generation consoles (perhaps for Nostalgia purposes?) reports have been said that this game pushes the PS2 so hard that it 'vomits onto itself, then is forced to eat its own vomit, and then pushed to vomit again'.

Quoting from tombraiderchronicles.com:

But a game isn't just rested on good graphics, and Crystal Dynamics are aware of this. Which is why, unlike in Legend, levels will be honeycombed with secret areas and passages to explore, leaving the players to decide their own path through levels rather than having to take one straight path to the finish line.

And for those who feel extra pathways just aren't enough to constitute a change, Crystal Dynamics also are going with the attitude of "bigger is better" with this game. Everything in this game has been super sized in order to deal with Lara's faster new moves which means the cog puzzle that was formerly just 3 cogs on a boring wall has been expanded in a jungle gym of sorts, with massive gears (over 3 times the size of Lara) turning and grinding on the walls with each new cog added to the mix. Don't expect those cogs to be easy to find either, as one will be nestled inside the stomach of a wolf and will require Lara's 'subtle' methods of retrieving it for her own use.

And yes you heard right..Anniversary will not have even a fourth of the human enemies found in Legend as players will be pleased to discover that all of Lara's animal enemies from the first game (bats, bears, cougars, wolves, gorillas, raptors and even the almighty t-rex) are back in their graphically improved glory and with a better, more reasonable A.I. unlike what was discovered in the first game.

Players will also be treated to DVD-Movie like special features as since as part of the whole Anniversary part of this game, Lara's latest outing will have a special edition with bonus features commerating over 10 years of Lara Croft in the gaming industry. One such option is an ingame commentary in which during a replay, players will be able to hear the creators comment on the area they are entering, just like in a movie when the the director's commentary is enabled.

While no demo of the game has been released yet, it is said that the game will be at least 30% longer than Legend, with much greater difficulty and a larger selection of levels to choose from. Expect to see familiar faces such as Natla, Larson and Pierre, as well as Lara's trademark 'ass crack hugging' brown pants and tight fitting blue tank top from the first 5 games. Oh yay!

Screens (Ones on first page are older as they were previously print only)

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tombraideranniversary/screenshots.html

Official Trailer
    http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tombraideranniversary/movies.html

All Info Found From:
    http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tombraideranniversary/index.html

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Are you sure you dont like Lara instead of the game? :lol:

Derek

Fuck you, read my post. I didn't type all that so you could just make a dumb comment :D

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Pwn3d. :lol:

Derek

You better have meant that I pwnt wooden shoe boy........ass.

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

Damn impressive detail and information. Makes it seem like the game is going to be a classic

Kind of random but, she looks the same as before. Not that that's a bad thing haha but I think I remember you saying her look was to be changed (as shown in the first link)

I also found this quote humorous "mystical artefact known only as the Scion"

Derek

Well they weren't intending to drastically change her, more like make her look like a younger version of herself and a modern day version of the TR1 lara, which judging by these..they succeeded:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Okay.. i'd hit it :lol:

Jakks

Jakks Point 0

Time to dust off my PS2

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Ah, the days of the ol' Playstation and its so very little polygon renders. Nostalgia. :lol:

I'm personally excited for the game as I have been since it was announced, but for some reason I'm holding it at a high standard. However, I'm trusting CD know what they're doing.

Derek

Your high standards are right Keaton. The new trailer proves CD knows what they are doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYRpzVciFYA

Completely different from Legend. Voice acting is better too. The woman you hear in the beginning is Natla, second is Lara. They have rewritten the script so its not as cheesy as the first game.

Also the new official site has launched..with the first official trailer (not the new one) on the front page:
    http://www.tombraider.com/anniversary/

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Hooray for dinosaurs.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

Brilliant, I'm so buying this game. :D

It almost looks impossible for the PS2 to ever pull it off, but if it does I'll be really happy. :p

Derek

Dont worry, its not faked st0f. Previewers who have seen it in person are saying they're afraid the PS2 is gonna melt cause it gets pushed that hard graphically. Infact, the trailers are earlier footage..the final game will be more polished.

Go Crystal Dynamics!

Derek

Larson has been revealed:

[​IMG]

Christopher

:lol: Awesome, I had that feeling already with the trailer and now you're telling me it'll have even better graphics than that?

Derek

Well yeah, its possible. Cause the trailers are compressed and amount nothing to whats actually shown 'live' on television. Add to that statement, the fact that some of this footage shown there is 'early' and you get my drift.

Christopher

Yep, it'll blow my mind and my PS2. :D

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Derek

Yes. A few posts up. Awesome trailer too..feels very Tomb Raider in the Egypt parts.

An animation reel from the person who made the animations for anniversary featuring some HUGE SPOILERS as well as Lara reenacting a scene from Pirates of The Carribean as a joke..can be found here. However much like ALL of YouTube's videos the audio is out of sync:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhzw-kmQQ1A

Not all of the featured animations are from Anniversary. Some are from unknown projects and spiderman.