Tool

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Methybrea, Apr 9, 2003.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

*moves*

fear-is-the-mindkiller

fear-is-the-mindkiller Well-Known Member

i used to like tool back in the day. Ænima was a classic album. well i thought it was anyways... ^_^

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Aenima is amazing! Their best! Very thought provoking and controversial lyrics that makes it just a bit better than Lateralus. Some quotes:

'Prying open my Third Eye' - Third Eye

'F*** smiley glad hands with hidden agendas/
    F*** all these dysfunctional insecure actresses'
    'One great big festering neon distraction/
    I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied/ Learn to swim...' - Aenima
    (Aenima talks a bit about Armageddon so that last line really fits!)

'All you read and hear on TV is a product/ Begging for your fat*ss dirty dollar' - HWAP

'They're totally void of hate/ But killing me just the same' - H.

'To ascend you must die/ You must be crucified/ For your sins and your lies' - Eulogy
    'You've claimed all this time that you would die for me/ Why then are you so surprised to hear your own Eulogy?' - Eulogy

'Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear...' - Stinkfist

Some words to ponder over... :chemist:

[Darken Hybrid]

[Darken Hybrid] Ambient

I've heard their name but never their music. what's their greatest song so far?

Methybrea

Tool has dipped in so many styles.

Their best to me so far is Third Eye.

But if you are starting out with Tool, don't start with that song (A thirteen minute epic).

Try some catchy Tool songs. Go and download 'Sober', 'Aenima', or 'Prison Sex' by them. (The first two first, most preferably)

If you think the RHCP are wierd, well these guys video's are gross but they have amazing music that takes a while to get into. But if you get used to it I guarantee you will like them almost as much as you like LP!

Methybrea

And if you like Tool and want to go more prog metal, try Dream Theater (lighter rock but very good, has a keyboardist :D The guitarist is John Petrucci, probably THE best guitarist around today! ), or Opeth (crosses prog metal with death/doom metal but still can have a melodic sound. Don't like the death metal growling but they are brilliant)

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

lol, I agree.

Their videos are a bit freaky, but I love 'em!

:p

corymerchant

corymerchant Active Member

Tool is by far the best prog rock band out there. Their musical skills far surpass those of anybody from Linkin Park, and anyone else on the Planet even. Listening to Tool does things to you, it's hard to explain. Maynard James Keenen is a sick puppy, though. You realize these things when listening to songs like "Stinkfist" and "Prison Sex" and such.

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

I think they are too weird also, I like the hard music..but they are gross i think..
    But why do they use such weird names?
    Lateralus (or whatever), Schism (or whatever), Aenima (or..whatever), ect....and i think that the singer has a weird name AND thats its real weird that he makes himself barf and his fans like it...
    Sorry, just my oppinion that going to a concert is about hearing music, not seeing people ralph and then lick it up

Kæton

Because sometimes weirdness makes you stand out in a crowd. They stood out to me.

And those are actual words.

Schism means to seperate, Mantra is a hindu beliefe or chant or something, and Parabola is a round object or surface (I think). I think having some unusual titles seperates you from other bands. Like, I don't think Schism would have been the same if they called is "Apart" or "Seperation", because it just fits :p.

Then again, that's my opinion :whistle:.

Edit: And Chester used to barf at the end of One Step Closer (live) a long time ago, so yeah... The weirdness carries on differently in all bands :D.

Methybrea

At concerts, Maynard (James Keenan, the vocalist) is the crazy one. He dresses in bras, bodypaints himself...yeah hes the creepy one in the band. The others actually dress normally, Justin is shirtless maybe but the rest are all well-dressed. Not all of its sick, the bands really close, and at concerts you'll see that. They play great live performances, I hear (haven't been to one :( ), and if Maynard happens to do some crazy stuff, well thats him! :D

I think its permissable to have the front man to put on a show cuz hes the 'entertainer', and thats also what concerts are about. I'd LOVE to go to a concert where everyone is just playing music and they aren't into it! :rolleyes:

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

Because sometimes weirdness makes you stand out in a crowd. They stood out to me.

And those are actual words.

Schism means to seperate, Mantra is a hindu beliefe or chant or something, and Parabola is a round object or surface (I think). I think having some unusual titles seperates you from other bands. Like, I don't think Schism would have been the same if they called is "Apart" or "Seperation", because it just fits :p.

Then again, that's my opinion :whistle:.

Edit: And Chester used to barf at the end of One Step Closer (live) a long time ago, so yeah... The weirdness carries on differently in all bands :D. [/b][/quote]
    Ok, thanks.. ^_^
    But I'm gonna keep thinking its weird (even though Chester did)
    I downloaded Aenima..and didn't really like the verses..but I did like the hard chorus...what are some harder Tool songs?

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

Whoa..ok I just heard a couple more songs..and even though I think the vocalist is weird...he's very talented...and the band is great sounding...I'm thinking about getting a CD... :whistle:

By the way..
    Is the vocalists name Maynard or James Keenan? Or is it his whole name..Maynard James Keenan??

Magick

Magick Ambient

Hehe, yeah, it's Maynard James Keenan.

===

I think I might go pick up Aenima on Wednesday.. I like Tool and I've been meaning to check out more of their stuff. :)

Kæton

I think I love Tool's music is because if you weren't to look at your CD player, you wouldn't know where a song began and ended. Usually Tool will like, have this continuous thing going like LP does with Reanimation and Meteora. But in Tool's case, usually the continuation of the songs match even though played alone.

As for the live stuff, his ways sort of remind me of like, Marilyn Manson's styles of live stuff. I think I'd like a band that was not only singing the music, but is also in tune with a side that will have the crowd's eyes stuck on them. I guess I just like how many things have bands like Tool stand out.

I also like their artwork (although many think it's gross/weird), I think the talents in those images are amazing :D.

Methybrea

I see some that are getting into Tool. Trust me, its hard at first.

When I first bought Aenima, I only liked the hard choruses too, but you'll eventually get what this band's all about. Once your used to the band, check out Track 15 on Aenima (third eye), such an amazing song once you get used to Tool!

And easier-listening, harder tracks are Prison Sex, Sober, Stinkfist, Undertow, Parabola, and Aenima for starters!

Methybrea

I love Aenima's cover! Although the images are kinda freaky! It won a Grammy for Album Packaging, too!
    Not to MENTION Undertow (suggest you don't look inside the cover).
    Lateralus is my favourite album from Tool. It has this translucent sleeve with all the titles on the front and the credits and songs with electrical symbols connecting everything. Then there's a booklet with all the body parts (i.e. muscles, veins, arteries, skin, bones) The jewel case is see-through, and over-all its unique packaging for a unique album. There's also a positiveness that you don't see in their other two albums!

Top 5 Undertow Songs:

1. Undertow (5:21)
    2. Prison Sex (4:56)
    3. Sober (5:02)
    4. Bottom (7:16)
    5. Intolerance (4:54)

Top 5 Aenima Songs:

1. Third Eye (13:47)
    2. Eulogy (8:25)
    3. Aenima (6:37)
    4. Stinkfist (5:09)
    5. Pushit (9:55)

Top 5 Lateralus Songs:

1. Schism (6:45)
    2. Lateralis (9:24)
    3. The Patient (7:13)
    4. Parabol/Parabola (3:04/6:02) (Intro then the song)
    5. Disposition/Reflection/Triad (originally one song, totalling 21 minutes)

Methybrea

Whoa..ok I just heard a couple more songs..and even though I think the vocalist is weird...he's very talented...and the band is great sounding...I'm thinking about getting a CD... :whistle:

By the way..
    Is the vocalists name Maynard or James Keenan? Or is it his whole name..Maynard James Keenan?? [/b][/quote]
    Maynard James Keenan, Project Hybrid!

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

DUDE!!! OMG!! You know on Aenima the part where Maynard sings "Cuz I'm praying for rain
    And I'm praying for tidal waves
    I wanna see the ground give way.
    I wanna watch it all go down.
    Mom please flush it all away.
    I wanna watch it go right in and down.
    I wanna watch it go right in.
    Watch you flush it all away."?
    Well I think that just became one of my all time favorite verses! Maynard's voice totally blew me away when I heard it! I've fell in love with it!!!

Kæton

Amazing.. you like... like all the songs I do! lmao. Amazing!

But then again, I like almost every Tool song, but yeah, those are some of my favs. :D.

And I agree, Lateralus' cover art and booklet is amazing. And of course, Tool's artwork is like no other band that I know of yet, and that really makes their albums special :p.