Top 5 Bands That Have Made You Who You Are

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Gloomy Mushroom, Jan 4, 2011.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Who are yours?

1. Smashing Pumpkins
    Bullet with Butterfly Wings, Siva, 1979
    2. The Cranberries
    Salvation, Zombie, Hollywood
    3. Linkin Park
    Lying from You, With You, Points of Authority
    4. The White Stripes
    My Doorbell, Little Room, The Denial Twist
    5. Silverchair
    Tomorrow, Ana's Song, Cemetery

----------------------------

I grew up listening to a lot of Smashing Pumpkins, and Linkin Park throughout my teenage years. While The White Stripes showed me another form of music that I hadn't discovered before with simple chords and notes. While Silverchair and The Cranberries were another softcore genre of subliminally political based songs. (When I say Silverchair I'm think Anthem Of Year 2000, and Israel's Son, not this new version of the band).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Ohhh fun fun :awesome:

1. Linkin Park
    Pushing Me Away, Krwling, everything else they do

2. A7X
    Reminisissions, Almost Easy, A little peiece of heaven, etc...

3. Eminem
    Till I collapse,Square dance, The Way I am, etc...

4. Jack Johnson
    Everything by him

5. Coldplay
    The scientist, Fix You,Death and All His Friends, Etc..

I may have the order or am missing artist but thats the best I have for you right now so take it. :)

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

1. Linkin Park: Runaway, By Myself, In The End, Somewhere I Belong, Lying From You, Faint
    2. Avril Lavigne: Sk8er Boi, Complicated, Nobody's Home, Fall To Pieces
    3. Coldplay: Talk, Clocks
    4. Switchfoot: Meant To Live
    5. An insane amount of Weird Al, lol

CM.

CM. ☠ L O V E KEEPS US K I N D

• Linkin Park - In the end, Numb, Waitin for the end, Pushin me away, Faint (actually way more)
    • Tokio hotel - Monsoon, Rette mich, Dont jump, Automatic
    • 30 seconds to mars - Closer to the edge, a beautiful lie, attack, from yesterday
    • Coldplay - Talk, Lost, The hardest part, Clocks
    • Backstreet boys - Shape of my heart, Quit playin games with my heart, More than that, All i have to give

i ♥ ^bands

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

Deadmau5 // Strobe, Sometimes Things Get.. Whatever
    Enter Shikari // Wall, All Eyes On The Saint
    innerpartysystem // Dont Stop, This Town, Your Grave
    Lupe Fiasco // Heat Under The Babyseat, Happy Industries
    Linkin Park // Papercut, Cure For The Itch

+

MuteMath // Typical, Reset

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

- Linkin Park: Became my first favorite band, loved the heavy intense sound when I was younger, but started to grow out of it a few years ago. Thankfully, right around the time the band did the same.

- The Postal Service: Introduced me to electronic music, which I now love.

- Death Cab for Cutie: Helped me learn to appreciate honest, deep lyrics. DCfC is pretty opposite of LP in the lyrical regard. A majority of LP's lyrical work is very vague and relatable. Death Cab lyrics can at times be almost awkwardly specific to the band's lives, which I like. I don't need to relate to a band's lyrics, it's their music, I want them to tell me their story.

- Eminem: Helped me learn to appreciate good hip-hop music. Lupe Fiasco helped push this along later on.

- Massive Attack: Helped me to realize that there is a lot of creative music out there, and you aren't going to find it by listening to the radio or watching music video channels. I'm pretty critical of a lot of pop/mainstream music now, and would much rather listen to a song that isn't crafted with the same structure as every other song that has commercial success.

A top runner-up would be The Beatles. I never really gave older music much of a chance until I listened to Sgt. Pepper's all the way through for the first time. To think that they did all of that almost half a decade ago is amazing.

Coheed&Cambria

Coheed&Cambria Member

1. Linkin Park- A place for my head, In The End, Faint
    first band to introduce me to heavy guitars.

2. Skillet- Rebirthing, The Last Night, Comatose
    First band I saw live (going to be the 7th time this summer). They know how to throw a live act.

3. Breaking Benjamin- Home, Sooner or Later, Evil Angel
    Just got me through rough times as a kid..Sort of fell out of their music now.

4. Coheed and Cambira- Here We Are Juggernaut, The Suffering, The Crowing
    Obsession to the max.

5. William Control- Why Dance With The Devil, All Due Restraint, My Lady Dominate
    My nowadays typical genre of music I listen to now.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

This list is subject to change because a lot of bands changed my life I believe.

The Shins
    Wincing the Night Away

They changed my mindset a lot, how I view the world, how I view relationships. How I view religion. They have a song for everything. P.S. There's not a single Shins track that I dislike either

Linkin Park
    Hybrid Theory.

The album grabbed me and threw me into a vastly different world, I began to LOVE music rather than just listening to it as a pastime.

Asian Kung Fu Generation
    Sol-fa, Kimi Tsunagi M 5

I'm pretty sure the first Asian [Japanese] song I had ever heard came from this band. I was interested in Japanese culture before hearing them and naturally I wanted to know about Japanese music.

Mumford & Sons
    Love Your Ground, Sigh no More

This band made me appreciate [good] folk music, [The Shins did that too] which is great because my dad sort of enjoys hearing this band and I can listen to it and not have to worry about him telling to turn off that shit music.

Beethoven
    Für Elise, Symphony #5

Does that count? It might sound cliche but growing up I didn't really listen to classical music. My parents hated it. I love classical music now and Beethoven is where my search began so I'm infinitely grateful to that.
    ----------
    And there are some other bands that I LOVE and it's because of these bands that I enjoy other types of music. I owe most of who I am to the artists above.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Linkin Park
    Nine Inch Nails
    Tool/A Perfect Circle
    Muse
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

Tomozaurus

Tomozaurus Well-Known Member

Green Day: Got me into music
    Linkin Park: Got me into heavy music
    Fightstar
    Silverchair
    Deftones

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Linkin Park
    Eminem
    Muse

That's all :lol:

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

Linkin Park
    Saosin
    Circa Survive
    Alkaline Trio
    blink-182

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Linkin Park
    The Prodigy
    Green Day
    Innerpartysystem
    Alice In Chains

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Nine Inch Nails - <3
    Death Cab For Cutie - Made me realise music that isn't loud and angry can be good, even if I don't like them at all anymore
    Explosions In The Sky - <3
    La Dispute - Made me realise I could go to gigs every week (baby's first diy show)
    Glassjaw - Siiiqqqqqqq

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

1. Linkin Park
    Hybrid Theory got me into music 10 years ago, and were something of an obsesion for the next 3 or 4 years. Though I had listened to The Offsprings "Americana" for a while before that, LP were the first band I thought of as "my band". Not sure what I'd be like now, back then I was really into football (soccer) and art, music slowly pushed soccer out. So that was a big moment for me.
    You all know these songs already so no need to point them out, but I remember really not liking Cure For The Itch at all at first. :D

2. Metallica
    One morning in late '02 a guy in my class walked up to me, handed me Ride The Lightning and said "take one of these and call me in the morning", after he discovered days previously that LP were really the only band I was listening to.
    I remember "The Call of Ktulu" sticking out to me, which is weird looking back as I just gone from LP's 3 minute vocally driven songs into this monster 9 minute metal instrumental with a classical vibe. I didn't even have the attention span for at first, but it caught my ear.
    Over the next few years they gradually usurped LP as my top band, and inspired me to start playing guitar. Another big moment.
    Key songs from those early days: Wherever I May Roam, One, Master of Puppets

3.Tool
    Ah, summer of '03. I used to stay up late watching this music program (we only had 4 channels, so it was a novelty) I remember taping the videos for Faint & St Anger (so i could watch them over and over) and then seeing the video for Schism for the first time. Totally blew me away. Keenans vocals particularly, he had such a distinct, interesting (& spooky) voice. Thoughtful, witty and often just downright genius. They got me thinking about things I'd never really thought about before. Yet another big moment.
    Again, gradually surpassed LP as one of my top bands.
    Key songs: Eulogy, Stinkfist, 46&2, Lateralus

Those are the 3 main forces that laid the base for my musical tastes and what would come later. Particularly Metallica. Their wide range of styles & influences, from Thrash to Prog to Hard Rock to Blues to Country among others, paved the way for me to get into bands like Led Zeppelin, Joe Satriani, Alice in Chains, Rory Gallagher, etc

Other bands that have had a significant impact on me, in no particular order:
    Rodrigo y Gabriela
    Joe Satriani
    Opeth
    Christy Moore
    The John Butler Trio

Too much information?

SamohtCela

SamohtCela The Only Thing That's Worse Than One is None

Linkin Park: This band has helped me so much in the past year. Ever since "A Thousand Suns" came out, It changed me as a person.
    Favorite songs: Pushing Me Away, Forgotten, In Pieces, In Between, and Waiting For The End

Nine Inch Nails: Trent Reznor is my one of my biggest inspirations ever. Seeing them live for my first concert was the best experience ever. His music made me look in the past and put that shit on fire.
    Favorite songs: In This Twilight, Even Deeper, Home, And All That Could Have Been, and 28 Ghost IV

Dream Theater: Best progressive rock band ever. Their lyrical content is so beyond that I can't stop listening. Also, helped me go to sleep at night.
    Favorite songs: A Change of Seasons, The Ministry of Lost Souls, Another Day, Wither, and The Dark Eternal Night

Avenged Sevenfold: Amazing heavy metal band with some great songs.
    Favorite songs: Fiction, So Far Away, A Little Piece of Heaven, Unholy Confessions, and Dear God

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Backstreet Boys :lol: - Got me into music when I was 8, I owned a couple of their albums, not my proudest musical moment, but without them, I would probably not be into music at all. Not gonna name any of their songs I like, seeing as I don't like them anymore.

Linkin Park - Got me through high school and life in general, also was an outlet to expand my musical tastes for hip hop and heavier rock. Also without them, I would have never talked to any of you, and for me, Linkin Park is a big social outlet. Favorite Songs: Pushing Me Away, Faint, In Between (don't judge :p), and When They Come For Me

Underoath and Killswitch Engage - Got me into heavier music, without compromising singing ability and excellent musicianship (in my opinion of course). With Killswitch Engage, the lyrics are dark, but enlightening at the same time. Favorite Songs: Fixation On The Darkness, My Last Serenade, Rose Of Sharyn, and The Arms Of Sorrow. With Underoath, it proves that you can be a Christian metal band, without being preachy, and appeal to a huge audience. Favorite Songs: Moving For The Sake Of Motion, It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door, Breathing In A New Mentality, Paper Lung

How To Destroy Angels - Yes, a band that has only put out one EP in their one year existence of 2010, got me into more electronic and industrial style music and opened my mind to music such as Nine Inch Nails, seeing as Trent is in both groups :lol:. Favorite Songs: The Space In Between, and Fur-Lined

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

This makes me happy.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I picked five bands which I became a fan of in this order:

Linkin Park
    Team Sleep
    Nine Inch Nails
    Innerpartysystem
    Pendulum

Though I can't put forward elaborate reasons for why these bands have had a big impact on my musical tastes, they are definitely the artists that shaped what I listen to today.

Mitch

Mitch YTB

Glassjaw
    Deftones
    Linkin Park
    Thrice
    Karnivool