Transatlantic (An Amazing Supergroup)

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Methybrea, Jul 22, 2004.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Transatlantic was a great progressive rock band that was formed by Neal Morse (with famous prog band Spock's Beard) who plays keyboards and does lead vocals as well. Roine Stolt (from the Swedish prog band the Flower Kings) is on guitar and lead vocals, Pete Trewavas (from English prog-metal outfit Marillion) on bass/backing vocals, and Mike Portnoy (legendary drummer from prog-metal band Dream Theater) on Drums and backing vocals.

I just got into these guys a little while ago and all I have to say is WOW! They play quirky, upbeat prog that is fun to listen to. Neal Morse is the key songwriter and he always writes/sings with a pop sensibility, making the complex music really catchy and fun. Rather than moments of metallic riffs, furious drumming and raspy vocals, Transatlantic harks back to 70s prog bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Genesis, and Emerson Lake Palmer. They love to jam, switch between many types of moods, have some complex (but restrained) soloing and great hooks and melodies and a quirkiness that is the heart of progressive music.

I have to say that the four musicians are absolute masters of their instruments. Neal Morse is up there with heavyweights like Jordan Rudess, Derek Sherinian, Kevin Moore, and Rick Wakeman in terms of his keyboard playing. He loves his rock organ, but he uses a lot of sounds...lots of synth, piano, Rhodes piano, mellotron...lots of variety! Roine Stolt must be a 70's guitarist that got transported into the future! He's like a mix of Jimmy Page (LZ), David Gilmour (PF), Steve Howe (Yes), and even a bit of Robert Fripp from King Crimson. Pete Trewavas is a really versatile bass player who doesn't mind complex basslines, he's a really solid back end player and its what the band really needs! And, in my opinion, Mike Portnoy plays better with Transatlantic than on any of the Dream Theater albums. This kind of laid back music seems to fit Mike's personality, and he drums with just the RIGHT amount of craziness and doesn't overdo it.

So, unfortunately they broke up a couple of years ago but they managed to released two studio albums and a live DVD. The first album they did was called "Stolt Morse Portnoy Trewavas" or "SMPTe". It revolved around the 30-minute masterpiece "All of the Above" which in my opinion is one of the greatest songs ever written. Their next album "Bridge Across Forever", is one of the finest pieces of music out there right now. Consisting of only four songs, it contains the diverse opener Duel With the Devil (26:43), the jamming of Suite Charlotte Pike (14:30), the Neal Morse piano/vocals title track (5:33), and the powerful closer Stranger in Your Soul (26:05). Here are the sound samples for this incredible album:

Bridge Across Forever Sound Samples

To me most of them aren't the *best* parts of the album, but ESPECIALLY check out the two "Duel with the Devil" samples.

ENJOY! :D

Blindsided Revelation

Blindsided Revelation Well-Known Member

What can I say but Wow... :D

These guys are awesome, I was hooked even just after listening to the samples. That is some absolutely superb musicianship in those tracks. Did you know that there is a Bridge Across Forever Bonus Disc?

Then again I usually like most of the music you post about Odaton, I'm still on the lookout for a Pain Of Salvation CD ^_^ .

Methybrea

I knew OF a bonus disc....I thought it might have been from their first album though! I downloaded a cool live track that did a cover of 'And I Love Her' which I guess is on that bonus disc.

One thing that you should do after you get some Transatlantic stuff is check out the bands that these guys come from...I've yet to do that but apparently its top-quality music and I wouldn't be suprised if it was!

As for the Pain of Salvation CD, I've only seen it at one store, at the HMV in Montreal, Canada which had two floors and was freakin massive! But I opted to buy some other rare stuff instead. ^_^

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

WOW.

*hunts for CDs*

Blindsided Revelation

Blindsided Revelation Well-Known Member

I definitely will be checking out some of the other bands that these guys are in. Also I'll have to check my local HMV a little more thoroughly, theres a big one where I live in the UK :) . I always end up going in wanting one thing and coming out with another though. Still I'd never have discovered some fantastic music if I'd not done that :D .

RememberingNever

RememberingNever Well-Known Member

Not my type of music... I didn't like them very much but I guess they're ok if you like them. :mellow:

Methybrea

:lol:

You're welcome, Will....just don't take all the CDs :p