"Under The Dome"

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by hawk, Jun 26, 2013.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

"Under The Dome" is an "American science fiction horror television series developed by Brian K. Vaughan and based upon the novel of the same name by Stephen King^."

Who checked out the premier, and what did you think?

I personally haven't read the the source materiel, so I'm very curious as to where things are headed right now. I thought Alexander Koch ("Junior") was pretty solid, he definitely nailed the creepy role. I felt sorry for him at the start but shit got tense shortly after the dome dropped, now I feel sorry for Angie (played by Britt Robertson). Oh, and you can't go wrong with Dean Norris ("Big Jim").

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I just saw a promo for this last night before This Is the End and was actually going to check it out. It already premiered? What did I see was premiering on June 30th then...oh, maybe that was Ray Donovan.

hawk

Yeah, it's already premiered. I'm sure you're knowledgeable enough to know it'll be on the internet in most places you'd expect. I'd definitely say check it out.

MKH

:shifty:

First thing I'm watching in the morning.

hawk

Sweet deal. Let me know what you think. :)

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Haven't seen the premiere but I read the book. It was a 1000 page monster. It definitely seemed like the type of thing that would fit a show better. It had so much character development it was hard to read. It's the sort of thing that would play out better visually. It wasn't the typical Stephen King book but I won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it. I consider it a return to form.

Edit: Watching now. Seems to follow the book very closely save for some minor character development.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I'll probably watch this entirely because of Dean Norris.

hawk

That's what initially reeled me in, but I think I'm safely inside the dome now, haha.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Has it been getting good reviews? What did you guys think?

hawk

I enjoyed it. I thought it was intriguing. As far as I am aware, the reception has been relatively positive. It's probably worth jumping in yourself and making your own call.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I loved the book but I thought the pilot was not acted well and was too hammy. It was a disappointment to say the least. I will give it until episode six to change my mind.

MKH

That was...something. They sure did throw a lot at me all at once...

Justin V.

I could see that. Personally I wasn't impressed. I think Big Jim and Junior came off a little hammy, but I don't think the show has time to explain the nuances of their character in the same way the book can. Not in the first episode at least. I can't say much about the deputy because I don't believe she was a character in the book.

If they keep on this same path I think they will be fine. A lot more is explained in the book at this point in time but to pack that into one episode would be very very tough.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Just watched the first episode. My god that is some shoddy acting and dialogue. That female officer is especially bad.

It's a cool concept but I wish a smaller network (AMC, Showtime, FX) had taken it on. Probably won't watch another episode.

Justin V.

That's who I was talking about. The female deputy is not in the book. She was pretty stilted. I think everyone else did fine. People might fine Junior's acting a little too over the top, but he really was that crazy in the book lol.

And this was written by Stephen King. He always slips into a little B-movie schlock.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Wasn't this show originally going to be produced by HBO? I mean, that's what I read a while ago and it really surprised me that it ended up on CBS. HBO has already proven they can do fantasy and other similar themes with Game of Thrones, so I don't see why they gave up on this show if they were originally going to do it.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Sure wish it would've stayed with HBO. HUGE fan of the book, one of my favorite's by him. I've been excited for this show so I'll check it out.