User Poll: Wiki

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Vriska, Mar 15, 2011.

?

Do you edit the wiki?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, LPA has a wiki?

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. No, it's too inconvienent a location.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. No, I don't know how to edit a wiki

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  5. No, I didn't understand that I could

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. No, I am not interested in this.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. No, I don't have time to edit

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  8. No, I clicked a spam link and I H8 U 4evr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. No, I hate how it is being managed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No, because I didn't remember it

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  11. No, the wiki layout is confusing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. No, I feel there aren't enough installed features

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. No, I'm not confident in my quality of work

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  14. Sometimes I edit, but I'll check another box explaining why

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  15. Other, please comment.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I am creating a poll about the users here and the use of the LPA wiki.

Results are anonymous. I want a general picture of why people who don't edit.... don't edit...

Also, I'd like opinions on the tone of the wiki. Because I'm such an academic techie-head, the articles I wrote come off more like Wikipedia than TV tropes. I'm wondering if a less formal tone would make the wiki more fun to read.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
    Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Actually I don't go on there because I usually can't find a link to it, mainly because I don't see enough posts by the people with the wiki links in their signatures and I don't look at the main page I go directly to the forums site. When I go on there I don't edit it mainly because I can come up with some pretty unreliable sources and I don't want to fuck it up as compared to people with the right sources. And also I think it's become more of a time factor for me more than anything, I barely read the news section any more and I dunno I think it's too time consuming. I might think about it when I barely have anything to do.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I can tell you that we do plan to make the Wiki a LOT more obvious/integrated in an future version of LPA so that it's a lot more noticeable. The biggest issue we have right now is that KathyXX is the only real person moderating it, and the Wiki is getting raped by spam because the spambots are defeating the captcha. It's a tough battle.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

When it first started up I edited a few times, I even transcribed 30 video interviews so I could make a text interview section, it took hours and hours of work for completion and had interviews from 2006 til 2010, but then my HD crashed, I lost all my files and I just haven't had the passion to redo the transcriptions.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Once I can mask my IP address, I'll start adding Shinodakini pictures and Derek's face to every single article.

Either that or create a whole new breed of puke-inducing family-friendly monster, the Derekini.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Hah. I am not getting raped by spambots. The spambots are getting raped by me.
    While annoying, it's not at the level where it's overwhelming.. there's like about 3 spam edits a day. It just makes the recent changes page look like crap.

I found this extension http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SpamBlacklist .. which may help... maybe. I'm also wondering if the other extensions I requested have been put in. Been waiting on that citation one for a while.

Because the wiki is so small, we only require a primary source if it touches personal lives, or if someone was skeptical of something on a page. Otherwise we want edits. If something's wrong or not completely done, someone who has the right facts will fix it. That's collaboration.

:( that sucks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Do me a favor and PM me all the extensions that needed to be added. I'll make sure they get put in.

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Well previously I used to edit a lot of the technical stuff. Stuff like infoboxes and all the little details like colour and stuff.
    But recently there hasn't been that much news so the Wiki isn't updated regularly and well I don't have much to do imo.
    I do go on to it everyday to see if anything new is up and sometimes try revert pages back to their original state if they have been bombarded with spammy traps.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I have an idea, someone should post some technical information to the wiki. Now that there's a lot of technical information on how they make the videos and use the sound equipment there are lots of details that can be added to the wiki, most of it would source Ghost Town Media as they provided the most videos/information.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I edited it a lot when it first started up, but then school happened :/.