Violence In The World

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Hybrid, Jul 24, 2014.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So I just watched Rise Against's new music video for "I Don't Want To Be Here Anymore," and I was absolutely astounded by the facts that were brought up in it. I shared the video on Facebook with the following:

Here we are in the middle of the 2014. With as much as science and technology has advanced us, violence is still holding our species back. This video is a sobering reminder of how much evil is still in the world. Even though Rise Against are from Chicago, it still pains me in seeing the city featured in this video. Knowing that the city of big shoulders has evolved to a place where violence on all levels, not just shootings, are what we are being known for all around the world. I remember about 20 years ago talking to a person who visited Europe, Belgium, I think, and they told me that when you told people you are from Chicago they made the hand gesture of a gun and kind of went "bang-bang." Now, that was kind of eye-opening in the sense that yeah, gun violence in Chicago dates back to the early 20th century, probably earlier, with the gangsters roaming and owning the streets, and in that sense was where I made the correlation in my mind. That was 20 years ago. Chicago has made that prejudice a reality again. In watching this video, I am relating in the fact that "here" is not a location, but rather a sense of where we are as a species. Where we are right now is scary. There is so much evil in the world where people blatantly disregard the well being of other people and animals to get ahead on their own sense of importance or wealth. It really is disgusting. I know that I am not in a position to change how the world works, but I know that this is not the kind of world that I like my kids growing up in. I challenge you to watch this video, whether you like their music or not. The meaning is strong. I don't want to be here anymore. When can we move on from this?

[youtube]Dv_cvxAAZ-Y[/youtube]

What is most alarming here to you? Discuss.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I don't know man, part of me would like to believe we're going to pull out of this tail spin,but I'm not so sure anymore. If we ever do it won't be until the Earth is a vastly different place from what it is now. These are lessons that are going to have to be learned the hard way.

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

this.

dont want to offend anyone here, but our situation has a lot to do with religions (of course its not the only thing...)

it is time for us to accept ourselves and respect not only who shares the same beliefs. i am not talking about God x science or any atheist argument here. but using religion to justify and promote wars and shit is plain stupid, like the israel palestine conflict that goes on for ever, and its only one out of many wars/disagreements related with religion.

and its not only wars, but i see people of *insert religion here* saying literally "i want atheists, jews, and blablabla to burn in hell" a lot more than id like to. these people are the same that claim that they love God and distribute hugs and smiles at the church. and think that wishing bad things to people they dont even know, just because they dont believe in the same god is not a bad thing.

since i became vegetarian i hear a lot of "animals are here for us to eat, God made them for us" i cant even explain how stupid this is...

i'm not bashing anyone beliefs here, but i had this thought in mind when i found this thread and decided to write about it

jesus won't come back if we fuck up the world before

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I agree that religion, to an extent is very harmful to society, but I'm not going to sit here and say that without religion we would live in some sort of Utopia. There would still be war, greed, death, etc. Humans will always find a reason to kill each other.

Hybrid

To quote another Rise Against song; "What god would damn a heart? What god drove us apart? What god could?"

outcastboy

sure, i think its in our nature, we will never find peace.

what really bothers me is the hypocrisy of the situation. i dont believe in any specific god or religion, but i dont go around like in a real life GTA like most theists believe it would happen without religion.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Yeah, believe me, I'm no sympathizer for religion. They make us out to be like, savages just like Columbus did, but it's become so corrupt that anyone who doesn't agree with you is automatically devoid of all morals. When in reality they're soaked in the blood of anyone who disagrees. I think they're a lot of problems that would've been solved ages ago if weren't for religion.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I'm a Baptist Christian, but I'm not "against" any other religion. I honestly couldn't care less what religion other people have, that's not my problem and it's not my place to tell them what to do. If they ask me questions that's one thing. I have absolutely no problem telling someone about my beliefs if they're curious and interested in it. However, I would never, NEVER, go force my religion on other people. I don't "want other people to burn in hell" because of their religion. People should just do their own thing and respect the beliefs of others.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I try to feel that way, I really do. But these Christian Conservatives impending every inch of progress that needs to be made is a real, physical detriment. Not to mention the fucking holy wars that are constantly being waged. Anytime the church has large say in how things should be run things go to shit. It's fucking twisted and corrupted. If the church had its way we go back to the dark ages.

Hybrid

So I was born a "Catholic." My Dad was married before my mom and he was married as a Catholic. The priest wouldn't anull his first marriage, since he had two daughters, and therefore, couldn't marry my mom in the Catholic religion. So technically, in the Catholic way of thinking, My Mom and my Dad were never married and my brother and I were born out of wedlock. My parents, however, raised my brother and I in the catholic religion. Well, as we are now grown up, my brother is very liberal with his way of thinking and, as far as I know, no longer practices any religion. As far as I'm concerned with my beliefs, I have wained from the strict "this is how it is" ideals of the Catholic religion. I do believe in some kind of higher power, but I do not believe that higher power is some judgemental asshole that never lets anything go or damns you for being who you are. Also, I think that whatever you believe will happen when you die is what's going to happen, I.E. there is no "right" relogion. My ideas on religion too are like this: I have my beliefs, and I couldn't give any less of a fuck what your beliefs are because I'm not going to try to convice you that my way of thinking is right.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

People are animals and animals are stupid and violent. You can take away religion and people will still find excuses to murder each other. Because animals are petty and vicious.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I don't need this video to remind me how stupid people are. It's always been like this and always will be.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

There will always be war aslong humans are alive. Humans are stupid. Not all , but many. I dont have hope that this could change.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Extremism is to blame, and that's not something exclusive to religion. Extremism in general is just bad.

And of course, trying to live together with people with other ideologies and beliefs is hard for most people (mostly because they're simply uneducated) and that creates conflict. Some people avoid conflict and just live with it (some might argue this is just postponing said conflict) and others stand by their own ideologies and beliefs so hard that they just start fighting the other party because they don't believe in the same things.

With that said, you can't really define "evil", can you? Who's to say one's evil and one's righteous? Nothing's just "black and white". To me, people who look at the world from a "black and white" standpoint are just being as uneducated as extremists.

Fact is, the only way we can live together in peace is when people can deal with other people in a manner that doesn't involve any form of violence. And that, sadly, won't ever happen.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

^ This. There's always something to fuel and justify extremism.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

this stuff has always been around. it's just now with the internet it's easier to see.

outcastboy

my girlfriend is Catholic, she doesnt really like my "beliefs" or lack of it. but we dont argue about it, or try to convert each other.

respect is the minimum we can expect (and give) from people that disagree with us on anything, but sadly it's not what happens

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I am also a catholic and have my beliefs and doubts in religion and i could give less than a fuck about what others believe. ISNT IMPORTANT. I dont take people by there believes unless they didnt attack someone.