What constitutes a "fan"?

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Disturbedthoughts, Aug 30, 2010.

?

What constitutes a fan?

1. Likes Everything

10.5%
  2. Likes Half

5.3%
  3. Likes Some

31.6%
  4. Other (Please clarify in post)

52.6%
    Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

Seeing the fanbase so divided recently as well as comments about what is and is not a fan, this question has been plaguing me. Is it someone that likes everything a band has done, someone who likes about half, someone or likes and album or two, or can someone be considered a fan if they like just the radio singles...other? I am personally inclined to say that if you like the music and consider yourself a fan, you're a fan. Thoughts?

PS Sorry if this belongs more in random chat, I really had a hard time choosing where to put this. But I figure it's music related.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

What constitutes a fan is support. I could like every damn song that an artist puts out, but if i don't support them, then I don't consider myself a fan at all. I am an avid supporter of Linkin Park, and find myself to be a pretty big fan of them. :)

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

People are going to disagree but I think it really is as simple as that.

You can be a dick when it comes to the way you act as a fan of something, but you still are one, but that's probably where people are going to disagree.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    cstebila

cstebila an emerging paradigm

Enjoying a group. Those commenting on other mediums insisting one must enjoy all their material are more then silly sounding.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

What constitutes as a fan is someone who self-identifies as a fan. You're a fan if you declare yourself to be one. There's no grandfather clause or litmus test, because there's no test that takes everything into account. Often "true fan" debates are convulted into actually meaning "someone who agrees with me" and I resent it when people use the phrase "true fan" as if it carried any weight.

To say that you have to like EVERYTHING or even most of something someone does is a rather high and not accurate mark. Yeah, people are allowed to disagree with things. That doesn't make them not fans.

Cyanide

Cyanide 1989

And supporter in this case means...?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You're a fan of the music if you love the music (any of it) and it means a lot to you. That's what I go by. :) But I guess there's probably a massive flaw in that logic somewhere, so Kathy's idea is probably the one to agree with.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

If you like most of what a band does and are somewhat excited to hear more from them.

P.S. don't try to use the Linkin Park fanbase as a microcosm of the average fanbase. The LP base unfortunately is one of the worst I've ever seen for a "rock" band. Ever.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

THIS

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

If you enjoy any aspect of an artists work, I consider you a fan. You don't have to be a fan of EVERYTHING they do, but a fan no less.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I'd say a fan is someone who is generally enthusiastic about the subject in question.

Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

I would honestly say Tool has the worst fanbase out there. :lol:

Hellions

Hellions Banned

Likes what they like and deems themselves a fan accordingly. Not my problem.

rcm034

rcm034 Well-Known Member

A fan is someone who becomes a facebook fan etc..

But seriously, I don't think a fan would have to like every single thing a band puts out. Even a hardcore fan could dislike some things. For example, if someone still avidly follows LP and visits sites like this or joins LPU etc., but only likes Hybrid Theory, they could still be a pretty hardcore fan. I think staying active for 10 years after the last thing you loved is hardcore and shows a good deal of loyalty to the band. I personally like it all, but I can see how a fan might not. To me, its more about keeping up with news, wanting to go to concerts, listening to the music, and supporting the band, whether it be by purchasing merchandise or promoting the music to friends so they buy albums etc.. I agree that there is no absolute definition. It's whether or not you identify yourself as a fan or not.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Someone who follows the band regularly, keeps up to date with the albums, whether or not he or she likes them doesn't really matter, just so long as there's an overall enjoyment of the material.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

THIS