What do you think about the musical direction of THP?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Qwerty19, May 29, 2014.

?

What do you think of TH musical direction?

1. I usually like that kind of music

40 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. I'm neutral about it - It's decent but I prefer other stuff

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. I usually don't like that kind of music

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Ok, I know the record isn't even out yet... and that is actually why I made this thread.

Before the record get praised or hated, I think it would be interesting to figure out what people actually think of that musical direction to begin with. And by that musical direction, I mean that whole punk-trash-hardcore thing, influenced by bands like Refused or Helmet.
    I think it's interesting to discuss this beforehand, as it would permit to look at the record reception from a new perspective.

So what do you think about that musical scene in general? Do you listen to bands from that style, or have you ever been interested in that kind of stuff? Are you happy LP went this way, curious about it, sceptical, or plainly disappointed? Would you have prefered something else? Discuss :)

PS: the thread is all about the genre in general! It's not about LP take on it so far (GATS, UIG, Wastelands).

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

As anyone here will tell you, I hate heavy music. Guitars and riffs and big drums, bleh.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Completely disregarding the whole "state of rock music" thing, whether or not rock music needs to be fixed or improved, or whether or not making a throwback album like this would even be a good thing to help rock music, I can get behind the sound.

I don't listen to a lot of punk/hardcore at all, recent incarnations like pop-punk are some of my least favorite genres, but the music Mike posted in that playlist was cool. I particularly liked Gallows. Having an album like that to listen to from Linkin Park could be cool.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

This is undeniably true. For those who don't know, Pidgey fucking hates anything remotely related to Death, or Black Metal. However, the worst offender by far for him is the "Blackend Death Metal" group Behemoth, notorious for their piece of shit album, The Satanist. That shit does not go lightly with Pidgey.

Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

I deeply enjoy this direction. Uhhm. I can't think of anything to elaborate on, it's not the only type of music I like... But uhhm. Yes.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'm on the fence about it. What we've just heard in the "Mall" trailer is infinitely more my kind of thing than "Guilty All The Same" is, whether or not the former is Linkin Park at all.

Of course, I'll give the band the benefit of the doubt, because I might still like "The Hunting Party" a lot, but, at this stage, what I've heard is not that appealing to me.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

That album is probably the worst thing to ever happen to my life...

In all seriousness, GATS and UIG are both good songs with a touch of genericism. Wastelands sounds as though it has more potential but I've only heard the extended preview (yeah, don't fucking ruin anything for me). LP is a case, not necessarily a rare one, where I wish they had stayed with a strong electronic influence. I think they could have delved farther into the avant garde side of it. I feel like they're just not progressing in the way I would have liked (how dare they not pander to me!). They went from this amazing definitionless album to pop rock to what I fear will just be a radio hard rock album. I think they're trying to make an album that will be the mssing link in modern rock but they had it with ATS and didn't even realize it. Idk, we'll see.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

None of these options for my answer

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Mmm I can't really pick one. I would say the neutral one, but that makes it sound like I'm not really excited for THP (which I am). I don't really listen to much heavy music, but so far I've loved everything from THP and I'm excited to hear more!

NikoLpSoldier

NikoLpSoldier Daimonas

I love it that theyre becoming heavier for this album, imo they could still go much heavier tho
    For anyone saying that they should remain with s big Electronic influence is just like saying they should have made Meteora part 2
    We already had 3 Electronic Lp albums (ATS, LT, RECHARGED)
    And i am VERY glad they want to get heavier finally.
    I would hate it if Lp went all Electronic again because now its enough of that
    Now theyre making real music again with real Instruments and blood, sweat and tears
    HAHAH that sarcasm pidgeon :D

I listen to ALOT heavier music, for example Infant Annihilator, Whitechapel, Thy art is murder etc so i am glad

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I'm not saying they shouldn't be heavy, but they should at least keep a certain amount of the avant-garde that ATS had, which I guess doesn't necessarily require electronic stuff. Those 2 things aren't exclusive to each other. My concern is they're going back to radio rock.

As well I think you're letting your taste for heavy music reflect on what you want from LP and that doesn't really work. I'm into heavy shit too, if I let my affinity for heavy stuff reflect on what I wanted from LP it would sound like "Oh, Aborted put out such a disgustingly heavy album, LP should be more like Aborted!" Which is kind of like what you said only with Whitechapel lol. Either you're going to be disappointed by the quality of the music because it was forced into that frame of mind (which is what scares me about this record) or you're going to be disappointed because now they just sound like Whitechapel. I don't want any of my bands to sound like any of my other bands. When I hear LP I want immediately recognize that as something completely different from anything else.

In fact Whitechapel is a great example. The new record is just Meshuggah riffs mixed geeneric deathcore. They clearly let their taste or the new djent trend get in the way of making unique music. LP is in danger of doing the same thing by forcing themselves back into the radio rock genre. If they had remained in the ATS mind set they could've done anything. They can make a really heavy fucking record without it falling into generic pot holes. Which I can already tell you they've done by listening to GATS and UIG.

If my thought process seems scattered its because it is 5am and I have yet to fall asleep.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Dude, put all electronics away, close your eyes and go to sleep. Seriously, I thought me falling asleep at 3am was late..

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's fair to say LP is forcing themselves. They are clearly passionate about what they are doing right now, and said multiples times they had a clear vision of where they wanted this record to go. This is called inspiration if you ask me. And also, it was explained how they though this record was particularly not radio-friendly.

But anyway, that isn't really on-topic. The goal here is just to see how much of a bias people have in favor or against that type of music :)

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

They can say that but the first two singles lend to my point. GATS is very middle of the road and very radio friendly. UIG even more so. Mike got so infatuated with his "screaming over guitars" playlist and now we just have a single that sounds like stuff that already exists. And to make my point more on topic I guess, no I'm not interested if the music has no edge. I could be interested if they weren't recycling stuff from Mike's playlists. Mind you I've heard two and a half songs off the record and wastelands sounds promising. This could all be wasted breathe. If the music is something that is exclusive to LP.

Am I making sense? I can't even tell. I'm going to fucking bed.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

Absolutely love the direction the music is heading in. When mike talks of how he flicks through radio stations and can't find anything he really likes, well that's been my personal thought for years lol. The fact I am
    Increasingly finding myself singing along to the music on the radio is a worrying concern that needs to be arrested quickly. Enter The Hunting Party.

For so many LP fans, not necessarily meteora exclusive ones, this album is the album that has been craved for, for so long. I love all of their work, but will freely admit I have a lean toward their heavier stuff. Given Up, No More Sorrow, Blackout and Victimized still send shivers down the spine. Not to say I don't like the softer stuff, WFTE is my fav song.

So yeah, I'm loving the new direction and the 2.5 songs we've heard has me amped.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

To me GATS was the perfect blend of heaviness with something fresh and different.

The long intro slowly building up the track
    Then a new riff comes in surprisingly
    We then go into a very calm piano driven verse with a great melody
    Then suddenly we get into a chorus with aggressive singing while the synths and lead guitar plays in the background.
    So much shit is going on and we aren't even halfway through the song!
    Sure in terms of the overall sound is a bit like a punk rock anthem
    But then we get an amazing rap verse from the king himself Rakim - which was completely unexpected
    And the solo at the end is probably the best shit Brad has ever played - and Rob stepped up too.

GATS is everything I want this album to be:
    Unpredictable, visceral, fresh, long and hard(ha!)
    So far songs like Keys to the Kingdom, Rebellion, A Line In The Sand and Mark The Graves seem to have a HUGE potential based on some of the reviews and overall song lengths and features

UIG wasn't bad but kind of lowered my expectations - While it still being pretty decent. When people say this is the softest song on the record I just hope they mean like in the overall sound. I wouldn't mind having songs with huge differences in its dynamics - You know when it starts out quiet but then suddenly becomes super loud and heavy.

Wasteland seems to have potential but from the previews it sounds like it lacks the screams Chester did live?
    I love the rap verses and the bridge into a new chorus melody is amazing. Again THAT was unexpected. The structure was familiar but it worked out nicely(still waiting for the studio version for a final judgement)

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

I'm neutral about the direction. I enjoy heavy rock, but I also enjoy many other styles equally. Of course this isn't to say that I am not excited for the new album. I always get pumped for new LP music!

However, I loved the music in the Mall trailer. If after THP LP decides to make a record that leans more towards that direction, I'll be completely on board.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I'm happy they decided to go for a more guitar based, and possibly heavier album with THP. But that's the idea, and we still don't know how well it was executed. I haven't heard Wastelands yet, UIG is clearly the radio song, and GATS was a step in the right direction, just wasn''t really that much for me. I'm super happy the band decided to go with it for the first single, though. It gives the casual fans an idea of what's to come and the reveals the bands mindset while making this album.

So all in all, you can't say anything about the music direction on THP, when you haven't heard THP.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I think it's a nice change of pace for the band. I didn't vote because there isn't an option there for me that describes what I think. Really though it's right up my alley. I go through phases. I was once really into bands like Killswitch Engage, and then A Thousand Suns came out and that album got me into bands like MuteMath and Muse. But now, I can't get enough of shit like Stone Sour (holy hell, House of Gold & Bones 1 and 2 are amazing), Staind, and bands like that. So far, The Hunting Party fits right in there. Hard rock but not as hard as say Killswitch Engage, who I mentioned before.

There was a time when a lot of the fan base wanted LP to make a record like this.

leftshoe18

leftshoe18 Well-Known Member

In general I prefer heavy music although my favorite songs tend to be softer. I'm pretty excited for this album based on what they're telling us and the three songs we've seen so far.