What do you want from LP's next album?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Shadester, Oct 12, 2010.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Now that ATS is out, the wishes of a lot of people who wanted LP to further their commercial sound from MTM, experiment more, have Mike rap more and just generally be more original have come true. LP have met and exceeded the expectations of all these people and progressed their songwriting ability significantly. However, many (aside from those who want LP to go back to HT) wanted more from the album, such as more Phoenix influence, dynamic use of Chester's vocals or even more of a hip hop influence. If we assume that LP are going to keep the same mindset for their next record as they did for ATS in search for new sounds, what would you like to hear from them on LP5?

I, for one, believe that they've reached their highest position yet in terms of songwriting capability, given their technical ability. So their mindset about making music is absolutely awesome, but I feel that the only thing that limits their growth further is the lack or disuse of the instruments. Obviously Phoenix can do a lot more than what he does, and for the most part, Brad can shine a lot more too. We know Rob is a great drummer from the live shows (stuff like live BIO), and you do see that in ATS as well, but it's nothing extraordinary. Essentially, I want the diversity of ATS with more of a technical edge.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Uhm, I want cellos, violins, flutes, I want a classical album.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

^ they could pull classical off too. (opening)

I would like to see something that's more atmospheric and huge like the introduction to Reanimation, but keep their softer style, and rap/rock style. I want them to make more structureless music, and use instruments and things that you wouldn't find in a normal song. Use banjos, harmonicas, anything they can to make a creative piece. If they are aiming for interludes, they should explore their instrumental creativity.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I am going to be honest. I want a pure instrumental album coming up. Kind of like with Ghosts I-IV.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Think of a Pokemon, how it evolves from one thing to another thing, normally the next evolution is better, so thats what I want the next album to be.
    An evolution of A Thousand Suns.

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

I feel like a lot of the lyrics in ATS has a lot of metephores so I kind of want there old was were it was straight forward but to where you could put your own experience into the lyrics(bad at explaining that). Want more structure song. I feel ATS was weird structure and pretty predictable. Like in almost every song its a weird order and then a last part that comes in to take the song in a new direction. Ex. Blackout. I really dont care if they go back to there old style, im not gonna bitch. I just wish they would go more commercial to shut all the haters up. Make something kinda everyone to like(impossible but not for LP). And most all not be so experimental, I love ATS but it kinda sounded like they didnt have any idea of what kind of sound they wanted to make

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'd love for the band to express even more of that hip-hop flair again. Getting back into the click of 'Dedicated', and 'High Voltage (Hybrid Theory redux)', and expanding in that direction would be pretty nifty. Extensively, I don't think that it would be a step back for the band at all, those tracks were anything but conventional for it's time.

- going hard with the hip-hop flair
    - intricate rhymes via Mike Shinoda
    - expansion via High Voltage + Dedicated
    - Heavily atmospheric ala 'Reanimation' (ATS achieved this to a certain extent, but left a lot to be desired at the same time)

Agreed.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

While I don't necessarily want to see a return to their nu-metal sound, there is one idea I've entertained since the release of Minutes to Midnight: LP prog.

I see this in the following form:
    -Heavy electronica influences
    -Some heavy guitars, but need not be prominent
    -Long songs (meaning anywhere from five to ten minutes)
    -Verses in singing as well as rapping
    -More sophisticated lyrical subject matter

Now that I know a little more about popular music the idea sounds a lot less feasible (I came up with the idea in '07; nowadays I can't imagine a LP-style metal or rock song holding up for more than five minutes). That said, I would love to see electronics (i.e. Joe) come front and center.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I say prog/hip-hop

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

This.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I want heavy guitars to play a more prominent role in their songs. And that not in the form of simple chords.. I want Brad to really flesh out as a guitarist and take everyone by surprise. Other than that I think they are in the right path. I know Phoenix plays the cello, so hearing some of that wouldn't be bad.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Oh, I suppose I should add to what I said that there should be more instrumentals, and that I'd like to see greater complexity to them (Session was great, but I'd love to see the guys do better). This of course means that I'd like to see the band become technically more sophisticated, so that in the next album or two at least they could be said to possess virtuosity, at least by popular music's standards.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Much longer songs and a lot more instrumental work. I'd like to see how they'd handle a record that only showcases vocals for maybe a minute or 2 on 6+ minute tracks. They can really throw conventional structure out the window that way. And I think they'd make an even bigger connection to the listener if done correctly. There'd be less lyrics, less themes. There'd be more time to get hit by the music instead of worrying about what they are trying to say.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

A CD that last longer then 45 minutes, more guitar, and more of Joe singing! *chuckles*

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I just hope they keep pushing their songwriting (lyrics, structures). I don't really mind what sound it takes place in. I'd like more focus on live instruments but it's not a dealbreaker by any means.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Pretty much what I would have said.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I would personally love for them to go darker and deeper, both instrumentally and lyrically. Bring the guitars back to a more prominent role, without the use of boring old power chords, or at least something more akin to Alexisonfire or even Coheed and Cambria; something a little more "technically impressive" by Brad and Phoenix. I'm they are both more than capable.

Chester's proved himself in ATS with his massive range of vocals IMO, but I was disappointed by Mike's interpretation of Chester "losing his mind screaming" in Blackout. It sounded like any of his other screams personally. I know he won't be screaming much anymore, but give us something to really say "WOW" to. Condemned was an example of this.

On the electronic side of things, keep them very present forsure but expand upon these sounds. I felt like the electronica in ATS sounded quite amateur in a lot of spots to be honest. Raise the bar LP!

Essentially, the band should stop worrying about pushing boundaries so much, and focus more on excelling what they are already proficient at.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

I like the forward progression that the band is generally moving towards.

I just want them to keep moving forward with their lyrical writing. They've grown tremendously in that area and I want it to continue.

Also, the more harmony and orchestral instruments the better!

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Surprise me. That's all I ask.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

the only sad part about all this is the fact that we're talking about something that may be post apocalyptic......2010 + 3-4 years is > 2012.......:headbang: rock on LP