What genres should LP experiment with next album?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Delicious Dave, Dec 28, 2012.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

I'm not saying they've never played it either, I'm saying that just after it ends Brad talks about finding the focus of the album, its theme, lol.

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

A guy can dream can't he.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Sure, why not. I can agree with you and imagine them incorporate those elements, but just on a couple of songs, not like, full album. With all these nice ideas that have come up so far, my mental LP6 now is just all over the place soundwise :lol:

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I would like that.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

This is where I see the fanbase has such really different musical taste lol

Honestly, I would respect it, but I would probably not be happy of this direction at all. Sounds way too Coldplay-ish.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

A few more guitar solos and a traditional 'rock' sound would be great. Like a more progressive 'Minutes to Midnight'.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

For someone to take away Mikes laptops and keyboards. I'm not one of those guys who demands guitars and screaming to enjoy a song, but holy god can you imagine if Burn It Down had Chesters vocals on a song that was actually crafted by musicians and not Mikes shitty ProTools?

Would have been fucking amazing.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the exact opposite. Put Mike at the helm and have him experiment with more electronic stuff. Right now, I think the band's using rock music as a crutch. It may have been a completely different project with completely different ambitions, but the soundtrack to the Raid is a lot more interesting than Living Things because it doesn't rely on tired rock cliches. I also thought the soundtrack as a whole hit way harder than "Victimized" and conveyed more emotion on its own than "Powerless".

Qwerty19

To each to their own I guess. To me, the soundtrack has its moments and is great as ambient music, but that's pretty much it, and there was a lot of forgettable parts. Which was made on purpose since it was meant to let the acting shine without overshadowing it.

I don't see how the band uses rock as a crutch. Knowing the lead singer considers himself as a rock star, is a rock fan, and regularly performs with other rock act (Camp Freddy), it seems pretty logical that they still have that edge to them, even if Mike is the brain behind most of the music. Chester said himself that they tried to give COG and other LT songs a rock edge because they didn't wanted them to be all folk.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

They didn't think something like Roads Untraveled would do well as a straight-up folk song so they added some power chords? How is that not using rock music as a crutch?

Qwerty19

I guess folky songs with some "harder" guitars are more unique than straigh-up folk songs, since there are already millions of straight-up folk songs existing.

Not a fan of the guitars in RU or in LT though, I admit that lot of them sound unsinspired to me. Still, I don't want them to abandon their rock sound, I simply wish they would pay more attention to make it more original.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Please for the love of god.

I, mean, just Chesters vocals are enough to carry a song. They don't need all this other shit. Have you ever listened to an acapella cover of LP or listened to the LT album just as acapellas? Sometimes, it makes me feel like these guys forget that their voices are instruments.

The stripped down version of Leave Out All The Rest featured in that CSI episode is 100x more emotional than the version with all the guitars and shit. The thing these guys need to learn is that sometimes, less is more.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

They'd still use ProTools even if it were just acapellas...

And you can still have heavy electronics without using a computer...

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Which is why I really enjoy In Between.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I'm not saying I want it completely gone, just for them to stop being so damn reliant on them.

Geki

Geki >.

I agree with you.

Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Like ATS with more screaming. Longer songs. Stranger songs. Not as electronic as LT.

Suffered

Suffered All we need is faith

Well, I don't want screaming. Screaming is why Chester's live performances aren't that good now.
    I would like to hear a mash-up between the "rock sound" of MTM (solos, gang vocals, strings, Mike singing and piano centric songs), the experimental, long songs of ATS and the electronic stuff from ATS, LT and from The Raid Score. I don't want from the band to throw away every electronic sound and make an album like MTM even if my favourite album is MTM. Just use everything they got in the :toolbox: except screaming and and put some more new stuff in it and try to find the balance between MTM and LT. But yeah, sometimes the less is more, like In Between. But sometimes not, like in The Catalyst. That's why IMO it's their best song. It has so much layer, but if you listen the song, you don't really realize it.

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

I think they should do a heavy metal album(with no rapping).

Qwerty19

Lol You can't assume what makes Chester performance less or more good like that

High notes in BID/Catalyst/... are way more difficult to do than his screamings parts. He even said it recently that the most difficult song from LT to sing live is BID.

And anyway, I don't get why some people are especially saying "no screamings". To me, it's like a part of LP identity, like Mike's rap, or Chester/Mike singing. If anything, no screamings would make their records less diverse.

Not gonna bother much though...They will probably never go totally soft. Mike pointed out again in some LT/Raid interviews that alterning heavy/soft songs is part of their DNA. It has kind of being their mentality since day one, along with mixing styles. And Chester still love screaming, even if he wants to use his voice in diverse ways.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013