what is the difference...

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by rosanna, Aug 7, 2004.

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

i cannot upload files to my server for my website unless they are .wav, and i dont have any of those, just a lot of .wma's. so if someone could tell me the difference, i may be able to find some .wav's somewhere. thanks.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

WMA. is windows media player's file extension, made when you copy songs from a cd. They are very poweful, in that they rip 192kbps quality in a size much smaller than MP3, however are not as widely popular.

WAV. is an older audio format that is also not as widely popular, but creates enourmous file sizes for high quality audio.

Unless the TOS you signed doesn't allow MP3s, you should be able to upload them like regular files, via web manager or FTP.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I think this works: just change the extension of the file to .wav. I know it sounds stupid but I really think it works. If not, change it back

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

i almost positive it doesnt work that way.

i think.. if you have a free site, some of them dont allow you to upload mp3s, you might have one of those. you can download mp3 converters somewhere. but if you have a free site they probably have an upload limit (like 5mb or something).

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

Ummm....

.WAVs are 15 times bigger than .WMAs :chemist:

WAV files are what's on an audio CD. .WMAs are like MP3s...just another popular file format...

BEAVIS

BEAVIS Well-Known Member

Songs in WMA format are protected. That means that you can not play those songs on another computer. That's why you can not upload them (I think).
    You can try to convert them to .mp3 and change the extension of the file to .wav or just leave the extension blank.

It works on brinkster.com but the file limit is 1Mb.
    It doesn't work on 250free.com

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

thanks guys, you really helped me out! :D

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Wavs are NOT what is on an audio cd. MP3, Wavs, and CD audio are not the same thing. CD audio can be made from analog, digital, AIFF, DAT, or tons of other audio formats. Anywho... Changing the file extentsion only works if that's what the file actually it. If a file is just Papercut, changing it to Papercut.mp3 will work only if it actually IS an mp3. It works more when you have a problem downloading more than uploading. It's probably just your host. Some are just image hosts. Things like Tripod and other better ones allow music uploading.

[Fool]

[Fool] Banned

if you are copying the music off of a cd use itunes, you can choose in which format it rips the files in. Its default is aac files which is the mac file extension and they take up less space but alot of media players for windows wont play this extension, but there is other options.

[Fool] :teehee:

Jimmy

Jimmy Member

I use MusicMatch Jukebox(I really hate using it because its full of bugs but...) to convert .wav to .mp3....it's really hard for me to upload .wav because of my dial-up connection
    .mp3 might lose a lot but they work for me

Jimmy

linkinmeteora

linkinmeteora Member

Hate to burst your bubble, but WAV is the format on audio cds :)