What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

Really? I thought it was quite above average. I was a little disturbed at first because it seemed like the movie was going to head in a SAW direction and I wanted to walk out, but a little bit further in I was quite satisfied. I was really fascinated with the intelligence Gerard Butlers character had. I felt he did an amazing job being a sarcastic insane killer and I actually became quite afraid for the people around him. I guess the other actors didn't really stand out but I was so hooked on his character that I didn't even care. I'd give it a 8/10.

District 9
    Felt like a fresh idea which was welcoming. Didn't really know what it was about going into it so it was pretty exciting. Visuals were quite excellent. I loved the documentary style the movie began with. Reminded me of the office :). Pretty cheesy overall though and not much notable acting but it defiantly kept me entertained while I was quite tired and ready for bed. 7.5/10

Where the Wild Things Are
    Creepy, dark, odd. I felt like they were encouraging kids to be socially awkward. Considering it was a kids movie, it was kind of violent. Lots of pointless scenes. Interesting visual style but it kinda creeped me out. All in all it was just kind of a really emo movie with no actual conclusion, but I've seen worse kids movies. At least the kid managed to carry the movie pretty well on his own. 5/10

A Perfect Getaway
    I only read the plot description before watching this one, and I will never do that again. I thought it was going to be more of a mystery story but it started off to be going in a thriller direction. I actually fell asleep watching it so I can't really give it a definite rating but I have no interest to go back and give it a second shot so yah... From what I saw, horrible acting, not very suspenseful, very non original plot. Trailer probably showed a lot of skin and made it look scarier then it was so it probably brought in a bit of money here and there but it really didn't appear to be anything worth seeing. 2/10

2. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Drag Me To Hell

I don't understand how this film got so many positive reviews. I thought it was a load of crap. It seemed like Sam Raimi wanted to make an uber scary horror film but it flopped so they threw in some tongue-in-cheek style humour. It backfired considerably in my opinion.

2/10

3. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Man On Wire

This is an Oscar winning documentary about a French wirewalker who, back in 1974, decided to tight rope walk across the World Trade Center buildings. What I loved about this movie is the central character, the guy who does the stunt, Philippe Petit. He was very charismatic and articulate with his words. The way he broke down the whole stunt with his words was simply amazing. Highly recommended for everyone.

4.5/5

4. barnes80

meh, walked into the theater not expecting much and walked out with those expectations met.

It was:

action packed
    artistically and wonderfully presented
    decent acting
    promising plot

but.. it was 3hrs long, and in no way needed to be. I started getting antsy half way through, not just because of the length, because believe me I've sat through 9hr lord of the ring marathons and never had a problem. There just was no reward to actually sit there and watch the movie. I had seen everything artistic about it within the first 10mins. I had gotten a gauge for the acting skills within 30mins. I could predict the entire plot almost instantly.

Not satisfied at all. There could have at least been some plot twist or something or made me more connected to the actual characters. Waste of 3hrs and 8 bucks... If you like science fiction I'd say go give it a try but don't let some people's reviews fool you. Its in no way the movie of the year or a most see movie.

5. Agent

American Pie: The Book Of Love

THE WORST!

6. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Over the past few days I've watched:

Adventureland
    Love Actually
    (500) Days of Summer
    Donnie Darko
    Up
    RENT

And loved all of them.

7. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

District 9
    500 Days of Summer
    Inglourious Basterds
    Gladiator

All great movies.

8. barnes80

Sherlock Holmes - Decent movie but didn't live up to my expectations. 6/10

Up in the Air - Catchy and simple. I love inner monologues and the movie had plenty of em. 8/10

The Lovely Bones - Creepy at some point. Beautiful at others. Pretty good balance. Subject material was a little uncomfortable. Never read the book but I know they changed some things. 7/10

9. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

It's like a beautifully warped version of 'The Last Samurai', and 'Pocahontas' meshed together. The visuals are amazing; a film that has to be seen in theaters.

10. _cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8.5/10: I can sum up this movie in one sentence. :]

Sometimes the only way to hold onto something is to let it go.

11. Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Lately I've watched:

Repo: The Genetic Opera
    Red Dragon
    28 Weeks Later
    District 9
    Ju-On (the original Japanese version of The Grudge)

Won't bother with scores, but I enjoyed all of them.

12. Agent

Paranormal Activity.

The first half didn't get to me that much, but shit got pretty creepy towards the end. The movie really picked up on the last quarter and that's where I got most of my scares. Pretty good horror film overall.

3/5

13. SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Avatar 5/5.I walked out of the movie wishing it was longer. yeah. I said it! 3 hours wasnt enough for me in this beautiful world that James Cameron created. It reminded me alot of that one disney movie that name I always forget. you know with John Smith and the native american tribe...anyways. The worse part about this movie is walking out and realizing your in reality.I WISH I HAD AN AVATAR xO

14. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I walked out of the movie thinking.. " we have f***** our planet up for good. " *sad face.

15. Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

Saw Fantastic Mr. Fox, deceptively clever. Walked in expecting a standard kid's movie, cheesy in your face jokes with some sexual innuendo. Was shocked to find clever dialog and rather subtle humor. Honestly I enjoyed it more than the three nine year olds I watched it with. I can pinpoint why it was advertised as a kid's movie. Got kinda silly at times, cute anthropomorphic animals, and a lack of anything truly offensive. But it shouldn't have been. I give it 4.5/5 stars.

16. SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

CLoudy With A Chance of Meetballs- 3/5. It was actually alot better then I thought it would be. Fairly funny

It's Complicated- 4/5. I'd like to go on record by saying I love ALL Meryl Strepe movies (I think I may have mispelled her name ha) So this one was great for me. It felt very real. story and acting was great

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  17. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Dead Ringers 4/5

A lot less gory/gooey than most of Cronenberg's other films, but it's definitely one of his creepiest. The last 20 minutes or so are especially unnerving.

18. Agent

Hustle & Flow

Some of the relationships in the movie could've been developed a little more. Other than that it's a solid movie. Very inspiring.

4/5

19. Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

Legion.

2/10

Terrible movie. The acting was awful, especially the emo redneck guy who always looked pissed off all the time. Angels were demons?! No wai!! The only guy who I thought was sorta cool was Gabriel. I dunno why, he was just a badass.. but what really made me dislike this movie was the acting and the terrible plot. Blech.

20. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

500 Days of Summer

Fantastic movie! The soundtrack is very lovely on the ears as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.