What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ana

ana anaPHX LPA VIP

Sherlock Holmes - it was too much talking
    That new movie with Matt Damon - way too much talking..okay its a documentary but dont go to the movies for this

Surrogates- LOVED it! it is such a typical role for willis, a cop who has been suspended still continues to work on a case... some boom boom =D

fav. of the month: THE GAMER - i cant describe it..just go to the movies YOU'LL have to see it (but attention: there is a lot of violence)

2. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Adventureland.

This movie was so badly marketed. It would've slipped my radar completely, but after some recommendation I decided to check it out. It's nothing like I thought it would be, which was, another boring drama with a bit of comedy thrown into the mix. But it turned out to be a surprisingly well made coming-of-age comedy. Highly recommended!

4.5/5

3. SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Lovely Bones- I was fading my attention in and out of this movie. but the parts I saw were rather chilling. Creepy to say the least but as I said wasnt paying attention all that much. 3/5

4. Agent

Sherlock Holmes.

I thought it was pretty good. The chemistry between Downey and Jude Law worked very well. However, one thing that really took me out of the movie was bad CG-England. With a $90 million budget behind them, I expected better CG works. The action sequences were a little sloppy as well.

3.5/5

Zombieland.

This movie was hilarious! Straight forward plot and shitload of gore! What's there not to like?

4/5

5. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

The Storm Warriors (a.k.a Storm Riders 2)

8/10

It's an incredibly hyped up film from asia, 11 years in the making. It's foreign and I'm not sure if fellow LPA members would find interest in this film franchise, but goddamn, this was monumental as hell for me.

Renowned for it's captivating art style and story, Storm Riders is a chinese manga created in 1989 by Ma Shing Wa, and the story has yet to reach it's conclusion 20 years later. In 1998, a film was produced that changed the way Hong Kong cinema would be filmed. It was praised for it's properly executed special effects usage, and unique storytelling. Although the film received mixed reviews, it was a grand success at the time. Consequently, a sequel was to be expected shortly afterward but nothing came through. By 2007, news struck that a sequel would be in production, and Storm Warriors saw it's release in Dec.10, 2009.

Storm Warriors has garnered mixed reviews, and has been criticized for it's lack of characterization. However, all critics have come to the same positive conclusion that the film is pure special effects eye-candy. I totally understand why this film is getting the criticism it's receiving, but I can't help but defend the film against the most common criticisms.

Misconceptions:
    1.There is no plot
    There is a plot, but what it suffers from is vague dialogue. Certain elements of the film simply needed further elaboration. There is a plot, just not a good method of storytelling.

2.The female leads are useless
    Wrong. One female lead acts as the catalyst to the character development of Cloud, whereas the other female lead aided in the summoning of a vital character.

This film expects the audience to have a connection with it's two male leads Wind and Cloud (which is what hurts this film so much..) So if you choose to view this movie, make sure you've scavenged enough information on the Storm Riders franchise.

How much information though you ask? Well, to outline:

1. Watch the first film to 'connect' with the main characters of the story.
    2. Obtain information on the main baddies of Storm Warriors through wikipedia to get a sense of who's who and what's what.

Conclusively, this film is more of a motion picture than anything else. The story is expressed visually more-so, as opposed to drawn out dialogue. Now, in my perspective, I thought that the film was an incredible experience. Perhaps I'm being a little bias here because of my fandom for the Storm Riders franchise, but I digress. If you love out-of-this-world fantasy action, then this film is for you. If anything, view this film for the fights, and forget about the story if you have to;the final 20 minutes are epic.

By the way, this movie begs to be seen in HD for the full experience, so either look for it on a Torrent site for DVD/Blu-Ray quality, or purchase the actual copy from YesAsia, Amazon, Ebay, etc.

*edit: Further notes

A quote from a recent review of the film:

"it is a shame that critics fail to see how fighting and cgi can be used to tell an incredible story. it is the same thing critics of the matrix failed to realize. they blame audiences for being too intoxicated by the glow of cgi when critics themselves fail to recognize that the elements of action movies (especially martial arts films) that make them exciting also add depth to the story and characters."

I totally agree.

Source: TwitchFilm.com comments section

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  6. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

The Stepfather

7. Agent

Michael Jackson: This Is It

Loved every second of it. It's amazing how he could become one with the music. Not a lot of artists can do that.

Big Pun: The Legacy

A great documentary on the life of Big Pun. Not the biggest Pun fan but I enjoyed this film a lot!

8. _cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

LEAP YEAR: 9/10

Life has so many surprises!

TRAILER

9. Agent

Plot-wise this might not have the most original story but it was without a doubt a great cinematic experience! The CG in this movie blew me away and it's definitely a milestone in modern day movie making.

Thirst. 5/5
    Being a huge fan of Park Chan-wook's work I was looking forward to this movie and it didn't let me down! In fact, this might be one of the best movies I've ever seen! Every shot in this movie oozes with creativity! Show this to a Twilight fan.. they'll know what a real vampire movie should be like!

Memories Of Murder. 3/5
    Yet another Korean movie that I finally got around to see. Everything building up to the ending impressed me but the ending itself was very anticlimactic! Would've liked it a lot more if it wasn't so open-ended.

10. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

House of 1000 Corpses
    The Devils Rejects

11. SecondCityKids

Cop Out-2/5 bad story but pretty funny at times

12. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

13. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Inglourious Basterds - 9.0 out of 10
    awesome movie, though it did drag in some parts, but its Tarantino at his best

14. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

The Day After Tomorrow 6/10

15. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

16. Agent

Triangle. 2/5
    I enjoyed the movie to a certain extent but at the end of the day it raised more questions than answers. The movie itself doesn’t explain a lot of things and I don’t like the whole “its up to you to interpret” argument, because after reading all the explanations on various sites it still doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. So the writers lose points for leaving things so loose and unfinished.

Shaun Of The Dead. 5/5
    I never was a fan of zombie flicks (let alone zombie comedies). But after watching Zombieland and loving it, I had to check this one out! And I loved every second of it. The acting, comedic timing, direction everything was on point! And Simon Pegg was just brilliant!

17. SecondCityKids

Paranormal Activity- 5/5. I most say probably the most straight foward scariest movies I've ever seen. I so regret not seeing this is theatre. Never has a movie changed the pace of my heart beat until now. Genuniely fucking scary. Such a simple film. Scared the fuck outta me and I loved every minute of it. If you haven't seen it see it. And see it in the dark and try to keep it that way through the whole movie. You will want so bad to turn to the light on

18. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I finally saw Adventureland today. I can't believe how much the trailer misrepresented the movie. I thought it was some half-shitty teen comedy, and it turned out to be a really good movie. I guess they tried to advertise it as a new Superbad since it's from the same director. Dumbasses..

8/10

19. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Disappearing Acts

[​IMG]

7.5/10

Apparantly it's based on a novel. The reason I looked into this film was to check out Snipes' acting chops. I enjoyed it; a humbling film.

20. Linja

Linja Good. Be magnanimous. Über Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.