What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Interview With The Vampire 10/10

Stop your whinging Louis, I've had to put up with it for centuries :lol:

2. wiiesel

wiiesel Well-Known Member

Watched The Book of Eli yesterday.
    Denzel Washington played his role extremely well but the overall movie is just a 6/10 in my opinion.

3. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Alice In Wonderland - 8/10

Solid interpretation of a classic, and the 3d effects were stellar. I will be posting a full review later.

4. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

The Man They Could Not Hang (1939)

Awesome 'B movie'; Boris Karloff is horror class.

5. Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

Shutter Island - I give it a "holy shit!" Haha, it was amazing. Interesting story with a fantastic plot twist. 9/10

6. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Dirty Sanchez: The Movie. 3/5
    Along the line of Jackass, but much much more disgusting! These guys did everything from drinking body fat (technically cannibalism!) to kissing trannies. The thing I like about Jackass is that it's funny as hell, but this just was straight up gag-inducing. Totally fucked up shit!

Funny People. 3/5
    I liked how it rode the line between being comedic and dramatic. Other than a few shaky plot points I enjoyed it quite a bit.

7. SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Precious 2/5- It had a very interesting story but alot of the dialogue felt dull at times. This movie dragged ridiculously and all it did was aggravate me up till the very end. I don't see "best picture nominee" here at all. Oh well. I plan on watching The Hurt Locker next

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  8. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Shutter Island. 3/5
    I liked the old Hollywood movie throwback feel the movie had. The direction was pretty impressive as well. But the thing that shocked everyone, ie the twist ending, didn't impress me all that much. It just reminded me of another movie ( Memento), which had a very similar ending. If I hadn't seen that movie before I probably would've enjoyed Shutter Island a lot more. It was still a fun watch... just didn't blow me away like I thought it would.

9. Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Alice in wonderland.

8.5/10

Visually, It will be the best darn $ spent for the worth.
    Story, however, is fairly well done, but nothing shocking.

10. Snail

[​IMG]

New Jack City (1991)

6.5/10

Cheesy, melodramatic, dated, and Ice-T's performance was rancid. One saving grace: Snipes' performance as drug lord Nino Brown held the film together.

[​IMG]
    Brooklyn's Finest (2009)

7/10

Gritty cop drama, just the way I like it. However, as the film progresses, it seems to pace itself just a little too slow somewhere along the line. There's a deeper meaning behind the film's "mediocre" facade, but I can't find myself giving enough effort to figure out what it is. The film marks Snipes' return to the big screen, and he doesn't disappoint. Channeling a sliver of his Nino Brown persona, Snipes may have just paved way for an escape from straight-to-DVD hell.

[​IMG]
    Bodyguards & Assassins (2009)

7.5/10

Director Teddy Chan introduces the audience to a dozen-plus characters, and presents each one with a decent back-story without having the audience feel like the film is pacing ever so slowly. The first hour is laced with one or two action sequences to keep you attentive, whilst the final hour is an all out festival of action madness..or so it seemed it would be. The action is good and there is plenty, but Chan's capability in presenting action sequences is lackluster; focusing on quick edits and numerous close-up shots. The disappointment is further enforced when even the anticipated on-screen match-up between Donnie Yen, and Cung Le is produced in the same fashion. Nonetheless, action sequences aside, Chan manages to present a solid film informing the viewer of the revolutionary events that took place on the grounds of Hong Kong in 1905.

11. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

From Paris With Love (1/10)
    Shutter Island (7/10) - That ending FLOORED me. Wow!

12. _cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

ADAM: Awkward. <3 TRAILER

9/10

13. spraypaintnink

spraypaintnink Banned

Shutter Island: 10/10- An amazing movie that keeps you guessing to what is really happening. Reality and perception are skewed many times, leaving interpretation up to the viewer. Leonardo became one of my favorite actors after this one. Great acting all around here.

Taking of Pelham 123: 8/10- Entertaining movie that has some really good acting by John Travolta and Denzel Washington. I didn't think I'd end up liking it as much as I did.

Surrogates: 7.5/10- Interesting concept and good acting overall by Bruce Willis. I liked how it played out; I kinda wish it was longer and explored a few more plot lines though.

Hot Tub Time Machine: 7/10- Pretty funny but obviously pointless and ridiculous plot lines. You have to go into it just expecting a dumb/ slap stick kind of movie.

14. Snail

[​IMG]
    'I swear this movie is better than the trailer!!!..'

Clash of The Titans (2010)

6.5/10

A fun, unintentional comedy. I found myself chuckling and rolling my eyes here and there. However, the way the film is portrayed may very well mirror the original very closely; or Louis Leterrier was simply a mediocre director given too big a film to remake. I love Greek mythology, and the tales it has to offer, but this film just lacked a certain charm that would otherwise be present upon text, or previous adaptations and productions.

In short, wait for it on rental. The Kraken is NOT worth the wait.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  15. wiiesel

wiiesel Well-Known Member

From Paris with Love
    Good movie. very funny and a lot of action.... good actors.
    8/10

16. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The Lovely Bones 7/10
    the story is good but the move was kinda dragging in the in-between world.

Shutter Island 8/10
    Pretty good, to bad I kinda guessed the ending.

Transsiberian 7/10
    Solid story, nothing special

17. sotrix

sotrix @lplive

How to Train Your Dragon 4/5

Really benefits from 3D and there were a few perfect moments
    Definitely the best DreamWorks Animation SKG feature yet but they're still behind Walt Disney Animation Studios

18. Snail

[​IMG]
    Convicted for manslaughter?..CHE! You should've seen me in Hard Boiled..

Prison On Fire (1987)

8/10

An intense, and somewhat heartwarming tale of brotherhood within prison walls. A classic.

[​IMG]
    How to win for Best Actor?..please follow rule numbers one, two, and three: gain some flab, act my age, get a haircut.

Rule Number One (2008)

8/10

The gist? Ekin Cheng, and Shawn Yue star in 'Rule Number One', is an incredibly dark story of two cops of whom man the "Miscellaneous Affairs Department". The department deals with confidential cases, in which ghostly ordeals are dealt with discreetly.

I went into this film expecting the usual asian horror flick with a twist that probably wouldn't have been executed very well. Instead, I received the opposite. The film sets up a solid premise, laced with the usual tried and true asian horror cliche's, but with some nice direction that manages to keep things fresh. Ekin Cheng proves his star power in this movie and unexpectedly provides for a surprisingly charismatically fun, and intense performance.

Overall, a solid genre film accompanied with a great score, delivered in a fashion in which some westerners may find some interest in I believe. If you choose to view Rule Number One, make sure you watch until the finale; shockingly twisted and very dark.

[​IMG]
    ^ Who am I kidding?..None of my pathetic quips can compete with the dialogue in this film..XD.

Snakes On A Plane (2006)

6/10

Viewed it out of sheer boredom. I enjoyed it, but expected more to be honest. Bah, I regret not viewing it with my buddies while it was still in theaters. Would've been a blast.

19. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

[​IMG]
    Overall a pretty good movie. There was some pretty cool characters and monsters but the overall story was a but sloppy.
    I think the ending was terrible because it was too quick, and too simple.

6.5/10

20. Super_Nani

Super_Nani Member

hey i think alice in wonderland was very cool.
    ( I think it was better than avatar)
    My oppinion...:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.