What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Red Dawn (2012) - One of my favorite movies of all time, perhaps. Excellent story, and very likable characters. 9/10

2. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Argo - 4/5

Not much to say here, just an enjoyable movie start to finish. I could see it winning the Oscar for Best Picture, it's got just the right appeal for casual movies goers and critics and everyone in between.

The Imposter - 4.5/5

Wow. I want to give this a 5, but I'll watch it a couple more times before I make up my mind. But yeah, this was really intriguing.

3. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

The Amazing Spider-Man - 7/10: Definitely wasn't a necessary reboot to the franchise, but still enjoyable. The CG was good, but not the best, and there was way too much product placement to really show that Sony still owns the rights to Spider-Man. But I personally felt the acting was decent, and I really enjoyed the fight scenes in the movie.

4. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Premium Rush (2012) - 5/5 - High octane bicycle action! Absolutely loved it. And I love JGL more and more with every film I see him in.

5. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Just seen The Imposter.

It was like watching a CSI episode, only 50 times more complex. Difficult to swallow at times, as I watched with no subtitles, but it blew my mind overall. 8.5/10

6. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  7. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Killing Them Softly - 3.5/5

I really wanted to like this movie a lot. I'm a huge fan of the political cynicism, and the last line of the movie delivered by Brad Pitt is amazing. The movie continuously injects quotes from Obama and W. Bush about the economic crash in 2008 to parallel what is happening to the characters, specifically to highlight the disconnect between politicians and the people they govern. However, it was very dialogue driven, and not in a particularly good way. When a movie focuses on dialogue as much as this film does, I think it either has to have Tarantino-esque finesse and depth, or it has to have a strong emotional connection like Drive. This film has neither, so I felt like it didn't quite get as good as it could have.

8. The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

Need to watch 'Zero Dark Thirty'.

9. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Fucking similar thread titles....

ANYWAY.

God, this is gonna be such a great fucking month for movies. The Hobbit in a week, Les Mis and Django during Xmas, and a 9-minute preview of the second Star Trek reboot movie in the Hobbit IMAX. Come at me.

10. ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Red State: 7/10

Flawed for sure, but it's definitely still an interesting film to watch.

11. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The Dark Knight Rises - 9/10 - Finally got a chance to watch it. Overall it was great, but the lead character is John Blake, not Batman in this one. That's why it's a 9.

12. HelenLP

HelenLP Well-Known Member

Chasing Mavericks Surfing, strong relationships...

13. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Keith: 9.5/10

A really touching movie about love and the sorrows of life.

14. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

People compare it too much with TLOTR trilogy and therefore give it lower ratings. I for one liked the movie A LOT. It's a bit weird though that (spoiler alert) they added Azog. If I'm correct, the dude doesn't appear in the book at all. Oh well, he fitted in quite nicely so you won't hear me complain.

48 fps was also very nice to watch. It needs getting used to the first couple of minutes (everything looks to be played in fastforward, it's really weird) but once you're used to it, it's awesome. Along with the 3D, the movie looked gorgeous.

The only "complaint" I have is the amount of CGI used in the movie. It looked really realistic but nonetheless, the movie lost some of the charm TLOTR trilogy had because they used real people to play the Orcs (and Goblins as well I believe).. Oh look, I'm comparing the movie to TLOTR trilogy as well lol. Not complaining though, just saying that it would've been nice to use real people again solely for the consistency of the entire franchise.

Anyways, I liked it and can't wait to see what's next! 8,5-9/10

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  15. Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

Looper: 9/10 Great movie with great actors and perfect ending

16. snailharvest

snailharvest nice

Saw The Hobbit yesterday in IMAX, it was great. It kind of dragged a bit though, it doesn't keep you fully immersed. And that's an 180 minute long films main priority. A group of these kids walked out like half way through.

17. HelenLP

HelenLP Well-Known Member

Hachiko. Just loved that dog's devotion! Based on a true story.

18. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The Dictator - 7.5/10 - Nice movie. The beginning and end are awesome, but in the middle, it gets boring.

19. Juliet

Juliet Well-Known Member

I watched Ted again last night. All the little subtle hints just always had me dying. But I feel like Seth McFarlane uses the same old Family Guy-like formula too much. But still, 9/10

20. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Shame on them.

I want to see this one so bad. Unfortunately most of my buddies aren't into watching these type of flicks. Ironically, they play World of Warcraft, League of Legends, and Heroes of Newerth. /facepalm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.