What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

That's fine that that's the intention - I just didn't like it.

I prefer grounded stuff like TDK.

2. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Saw II (2005) - Not bad, not bad really. Poor Jigsaw, though. :( 7/10

3. MKH

Are you just going through the whole franchise? :lol:

4. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

What wasn't grounded about Watchmen? The only superhero was Doctor Manhattan and the rest were just extraordinary people like Batman. Everything besides Dr. Manhattan was realistic.

5. MKH

Grounded in presentation, not realism. I liked the seamlessness between CGI and live-action of Nolan's trilogy over the slow-mo over-the-top stuff of Watchmen. I just got bored of straining my eyes to the presentation, instead of focusing on the movie.

Manhattan just made all that worse.

It's fine that folks like it, I just didn't.

6. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

"Now You See It" - Clever movie, neat story. I'm sure I could think of ways the movie was awful, but at face value it was a fun movie. 3/5

7. lime treacle

Yes. However, after watching the third this evening, I figured it's a bit too much all at once, so I may take a break.

~

Saw III (2006) - I could say a lot of things, but for some reason, my head feels heavy and overwhelmed every time I watch a Saw film. So let's just say that this one was better than the second, maybe even the first because it really gets into the minds of the characters more than ever. Again a great ending. Oh and by the way, Jigsaw is awesome. 7,5/10

8. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

Man of Steel

Arguably the Superman film fans of our generation have been waiting for. Teaming up are Snyder, Nolan, and Goyer; opting for a total revamp with 'Man of Steel', resulting in a bold, new, hard-hitting endeavor that is sure to both please and disappoint audiences and fans alike thanks to a collaboration that is as fitting as it is peculiar.

The heart, soul, and action are all there in this presumably crushing epic about a boy who is simply trying to find his place on our planet. While the film possesses all of the elements of which create for a spell-bounding experience, it falters as a completely cohesive presentation due to a disjointed second act. Nonetheless, 'Man of Steel' ascends past its flaws through the sheer awe of Snyder's trademark visual prowess. Accompanied with Zimmer's enthralling soundtrack, the action is a surging force to be reckoned with as Superman lets loose like never before seen on-screen.

'Man of Steel' is emotionally poignant, and succeeds upon the implication of what it means to harbor hopes, dreams, and ideals for the greater good. I left the theater with a tenacious sensation of optimism. Tonight, I chose to believe that a man could fly.

8/10

9. Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

Three Stooges......

10. MKH

Man of Steel - 4 out of 5

A much more revitalizing, energetic envisioning than Returns attempted to do, but Zack Snyder sacrifices the so-far great character growth in the third act to blow shit up via CGI instead. The chemistry between Amy Adams and Henry Cavill is noticeable, though, and both Russell Crowe and Jonathan Kent make badass father figures. Diane Lane needs to take some acting classes though - Guillermo del Toro's Mama would have been better suited what with her overprotective nature. The final battle ends in a way that surely has not just Superman, but DC fans, going ape shit over, but it's what needed to happen in a live-action take. Overall, Man of Steel is mad dope.

11. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

^ Diane Lane's performance was cringe-worthy when playing opposite to Henry Cavill. Which is peculiar since she was perfect during her scene with grade school Clark. Probably couldn't get over how much of a hunk Cavill was.

12. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Man of Steel - 8/10

I never thought in a long time that they could pull off Superman again, but they did. Obviously Snyder blew stuff up in endless ways while Nolan and Goyer provided heart to the story in the midst of literal chaos. Henry Cavill actually did well playing Superman, as well as Amy Adams in the revamped Lois Lane, but Michael Shannon, Russell Crowe and even Kevin Costner were the best actors, giving true feeling to Zod, Jor-El and Jonathan Kent, respectively. But overall, the humanity of Superman - despite his alien nature - is what shines.

13. Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

The Place Beyond The Pines: 8/10

14. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

"Silver Linings Playbook" - Amazing movie. Jennifer Laurence/Bradley Cooper's characters were brilliant and vivid. Solid 5/5

15. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Trance - 6.5/10

16. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest (2011) - Dope... quite touching at times. I enjoyed it.

17. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

This Is The End. Flat-out the funniest movie I've seen in 5 years. It's a laugh-a-minute movie. Scratch that, it's every 20 seconds.

9.5/10.

18. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

after earth 4/10

19. lime treacle

Saw IV (2007) - The worst so far, however still not mind-numbingly bad. 6/10

20. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

They're all bad except the first one IMO... First Saw had simple idea, and all sequels are just excuse to make money (they make around 100 million each on a 10 million budget).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.