What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

United 93: 9/10

2. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) - 3.5/5 - Pretty good watch. I enjoyed the subtle quirkiness, the songs and the feel of the movie but like many of the recent Coen Brothers films it didn't have a solid resolution or a "story".

3. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Return of the Killer Tomatoes - :blink: / 5

Wut....

4. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Justice League: War - 3 out of 5

The runtime feels far too short for the amount of content involved, which cuts the dysfunction of these narcissistic supers working as a team completely, and undermines Darkseid's screentime as a whole, feeling much like Venom's time in Spider-Man 3. That being said, Jay Oliva allows for everyone's best traits to shine, although it seems Bats and Cyborg are this film's favorites in terms of story emphasis.

5. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

The Act of Killing - 5/5

"We shoved wood in their anus until they died. We crushed their necks with wood. We hung them. We strangled them with wire. We cut off their heads. We ran them over with cars. We were allowed to do it."

"Is it all coming back to me?"

6. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Sounds like it falls pretty much in line with what the original comic version left readers feeling. I haven't seen the film yet, but judging from the trailer I think DC actually went ahead and gave more emphasis to Darkseid's role in this origin story arc. In the comic version, he arrives, barely says a word; Proceeds to beat the living shit out of everyone and is quickly banished back from where he came from. DC did a stellar job with their adaptation of 'Flashpoint', and just absolutely nailed it with 'The Dark Knight Returns'.

7. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) – I didn't download the cam, I saw it in the cinema! Anyways... whatever anyone says about the length, this film manages to make it work – it doesn't drag on or get boring, but entertains instead. This is a dramedy of huge proportions, providing an interesting view in the world of the filthy rich. 8/10

8. MKH

*SPOILERS*

The exact same thing happens in the movie, lol.

*/SPOILERS*

9. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Unbreakable (2000) - What a very, very unique take on the superhero genre. It offered great mystery and suspense throughout the film. Though the ride was great, the movie had a very weak ending, it just abruptly ends. Despite the weak ending, it offered great material in terms of themes and character progression. This being my 3rd M. Night Shayamalan, the others being Signs and The Last Airbender, it really makes me wonder what the hell happened to his film making ability. 3.5/5

This would have been a 4.5 for me, had there not been a week ending.

10. Gibs

Ender's Game (2013) - Being a huge fan of the book, I was a bit skeptical in watching the movie adaptation, but I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised. First off, the acting was great, props to the casting director for this movie. Everyone was great, especially the kid who played Ender. The only casting decision I didn't like was the kid who played Bonzo, he, in my opinion, completely over acted the character. Otherwise, every one was great, and it was a great movive. The main problem I had with the movie was that, even though it was nearly two hours, it felt very rushed and short. The movie doesn't offer much in terms of the development of Ender's relationship with his crew. Ender's time with Alai could have been greatly expanded upon, as it was in the book. There was also a huge missed opportunity to include at least some of the events that takes place in Ender's Game's parallel novel Ender's Shadow, a book that takes place at the same time, but from Bean's perspective. Also, the axing of the scenes between Ender's sister and brother Valentine and Peter is very disappointing. Along with these, the rushing of the story of the Mind Game, condensing the story from lasting years to just a few months, and the explanation of Ender's mindset, lessened the impact of the movie version of the ending, the ending in the book felt much more powerful. As a movie though, it does its job pretty good. It could have been a LOT worse.

3.5/5
    It was a good movie, but missed the mark on being a GREAT movie.

Oh, and the depiction of the Battle Room and Command School simulations were AWESOME!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  11. MKH

Her - ★★★★★

Her is 2013's most beautiful film, at least in the heart-warming sense since Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity takes most physically beautiful. Spike Jonze takes the potential behind 1999's Bicentennial Man and turns it into something witty, funny, and moving, due largely in part to Scarlett Johansson's absolutely incredible vocal performance as Samantha the AI. Everyone from Amy Adams to Rooney Mara to Chris Pratt, even to Joaquin Phoenix, all essentially play supporting roles to Johansson and it is her performance that truly makes you feel for Samantha's evolution, allowing the AI to actually be personified as a human, versus the usual BS we get that AI's are people, too, because they somehow have souls in their programming. The ending can be best described as bittersweet, because it's a shame we don't get to see Samantha embody a physical form, preferably in her voice actor's, but understanding her evolution and the need for Phoenix's Theodore to accept real-life human emotions as his limit is the pot of morale gold at the end of the rainbow.

12. Maars

Maars Well-Known Member

Dallas Buyers Club - 4/5

dallas-buyers-club-poster1.jpg

I'm sure I don't have to mention Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto since their talent is pretty much undeniable. They carry the whole movie and I can't stop thinking whether any other starved out actor would be able to pull their characters off. I wonder whether I'd be able to enjoy this movie as much as I did without them. Still a piece worth watching.

13. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Spaceballs (1987) - haven't watched this movie since i was much younger when some of the jokes went right over my head. :p it's a good laugh 3/5

The Wolverine (2013) - wow. i expected much less out of it and i'm surprised at how decent it was. some bad lines of dialogue and maybe not the greatest story in movies but overall not a bad super hero movie. could have been worse 4/5

14. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 9/10: Absolutely adored it. Funny and philosophical at the same time. A rather beautiful movie as well.

15. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Thor: The Dark World (2013) - 1.5/5 - Mundane and hollow. Only exists to hold audience over till Avengers 2.

16. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Iron Man 3 - 8/10

I don't really understand the hate towards this movie. I found it rather enjoyable, and while it isn't the best one out of the three, I was able to stay entertained during the entire movie.

17. Gibs

Thor: The Dark Wold (2013) - 3/5

Thoroughly entertaining, and definitely better than the first Thor, but it's just kind of there. Without the Aether, the story has no real impact on the world of the MCU, plus, the movie had a real weak villain. The end of the movie (not the post credits scenes) is bound to set up for some intresting plot points for Thor 3 though. Really looking forward to that installment.

Also, the movie contains an awesome cameo towards the middle that had me laughing and squealing like a little girl. It was great!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  18. Gibs

Gravity (2013) - 5/5

It feels weird giving a movie a 5/5, since no movie is perfect, but everything about this movie was right. There was nothing wrong, or bad about it. The characters were great, George Clooney was fantastic, it was visually stunning; all those long one-shots were absolutely fantastic! On top of that, it took a fairly simple plot and turned it into a completely gripping, powerful story. I enjoyed this movie so damn much. I only wish I would have been able to see it in the theaters in 3D. I'm sure that added to the experience tenfold. It would be an absolute crime if this movie didn't win the Oscar for Best Special Effects.

19. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

The Lego Movie - awesome!

:awesome:

20. Gibs

Now You See Me (2013) - 3/5

I really, really enjoyed this movie, mostly, all the way through. While the road was great, the ending was quite weak, and way, way too convenient. I just didn't buy it. This movie would have score higher had the movie not had such a weak ending. Still a recommendation though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.