What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Close-Up (1990) - 4/5 - One of the more unique films I've seen in recent times. The way its shot and presented really blurs the line between what is real and what is 'movie'. The fact that they got the actual people to play their own roles adds to that further. I think it's chock-full of social commentary but done in a way so that it doesn't come off as preachy.

2. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

X-Men: Days of Future Past - 10/10

Hate to say 'I told you so...' but, well...

It is a dream come true. Bryan Singer's return to the franchise delivered. Big time.

3. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Maleficent - 6/10

It's an ok movie. The plot isn't really that interesting and it's not action-heavy like the trailer promises. It felt underwhelming for me, but Angelina Jolie is great as Maleficent.

4. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Drive - 5/5 - (2011) - Rewatch - Still fucking amazing! I think it's one of the most unique films to come out in recent times.

[​IMG]

The Place Beyond the Pines (2012) - 3.5/5 - I found the plot intriguing and the way they structured it into three distinct chapters was interesting too. Although, I could sense a lot of the things that happened in the last chapter coming. That was probably the weakest part of the film, despite the fact that it ties everything together and gives the film resolution. Some of the character decisions felt a bit off to me too. Ryan Gosling was really good. A lot of those smaller/powerful moments in Blue Valentine really shone through in this film too. Overall, a solid film. Gets point for story structure and concept.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  5. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

The LEGO Movie, C+.

6. Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

Frozen (2013) - 10/10

All the buzz about this on Tumblr made me watch this. Trust me, it's A LOT. I mean, I would have watched it, just not anytime soon.
    This is now my favorite Disney movie, tied with The Lion King. This is a must-watch, even if you're not into Musicals. I've already watched it twice the past few days. That hasn't happened since I watched The Dark Knight.

[Very mild spoilers, nothing to do with the plot]
    I like how it's different from the other Disney movies based on Fairy tales. When Elsa and Kristoff point out that "you can't marry a man you just met", it felt like Disney was parodying themselves. And the ending was perfect.
    The supposed connection to Tangled is interesting, since I really enjoyed that movie too. And, The music is amazing.
    Overall, very cute, and heart warming, like a lot of Disney movies.

Also, Elsa. ^_^

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  7. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Man of Steel - 3/5

The 3 points come from the fight scenes. God damn was it cool seeing the Krypton people moving fast and fighting. And that last fight scene was cool. Otherwise the movie was whatever.

8. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

X-Men: Days of Future Past - 3 out of 5

If the rumors are to be believed, then Bryan Singer personifies continuity as a young boy's anus with his constant disregard for it. In all seriousness, the film sets out to rewrite the X-Men cinematic universe while completely overlooking the continuity the universe has set itself. All that aside, and I mean literally just forget everything you know about the X-Men universe, it does have a definitive start, middle, and end. This serves much more as a sequel to First Class more than anything related to rewrites/reboots/original trilogy sequels, with much of the focus being on the trio that is young Charles, young Eric, and young Raven. Although the end is heart-warming, the film itself alludes to events of all the films prior (aside from Origins: Wolverine, which everyone acts like never happened), and thus brings up the question again of what the situation is exactly with this new universe concerning Magneto and the Brotherhood of Mutants, and why the Sentinels are absent in the original trilogy to where they decided to show up after The Wolverine. In summary, First Class could have been the start to a new era of X-Men, but, for some strange reason, Fox decided putting Simon Kinberg and Bryan Singer back in the writer's and director's chairs, respectively, was a good idea.

9. Snail

The original timeline between 1973 - 2023: http://www.25moments.com/

Yeah, no. Don't do that. Every film has to be taken into account as the consciousness of the Wolverine we've followed in the franchise over the years has not been altered. He continues to harbor the memory of the original timeline.

Not a strange reason at all. 'First Class' was marketed as an official prequel to the original trilogy, to continue the story where 'First Class' left off would be redundant. The most excitement that could have spawned from that approach would be events that could allude to a sequel to 'X-Men 4'.

The spin Singer and Kinberg opted for was the best route FOX could have agreed to. 'Days of Future Past' provides validity to the rest of the films in the franchise, while leaving the door open for future sequels with a clean slate.

10. MKH

^ I mean, that's just like my opinion, man :lol:

11. Snail

^ But brah, just correcting yo discrepencies dawg.

12. Francois Dillinger

Francois Dillinger Well-Known Member

Bryan Singer said in an interview I saw recently that Days of a Future Past was his effort in trying to correct the faults of Brett Ratner's Last Stand. And at a certain point he did it, though I agree that if this is the same timeline as the trilogy, then it's a bit of a plot hole that the sentinels just suddnely appear on 2023, since they were created in 1973.Or that Mystique appears alive and well on all the Trilogy movies. Other than that, there is continuity, since the events in 1973 are taking place before the Origins movie (even if Stryker appears to have aged A LOT for the 10 years between the 2 movies :p ) and events in 2023 are taking place right after The Wolverine (remember the Wolverine's post credit scene).

Aside from that, I found it to be a pretty decent superhero movie, among the best in The Marvel universe. And I'm pretty stoked for a proper Singer's take on the Phoenix storyline, which HAS to be done.

13. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I don't think anyone involved with the first X-Men film realized how huge and sprawling the film franchise would become. There are a number of continuity errors, but that's to be expected when you've got so many interconnected films written and directed by different people over a span of nearly 15 years without any initial endgame in mind. Hell, in that time frame a comic book franchise is almost guaranteed to have a few retcons and discontinuities, especially X-Men.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed Days of Future Past. I remember being a really apprehensive about Quicksilver's characterization after I first saw that silly Empire cover, but he ended up being one of my favorite characters in the film. I like how comic book films aren't afraid to be a little looser and humorous now and embrace the inherent campiness of their source material.

14. Snail

They didn't suddenly appear. One could assume that there was never an 'OK' for Trask Industries to push the Sentinals into action yet.

http://www.25moments.com/

According to this site, the Sentinals were in fact used as a tool to take over the X-Mansion in 2010.

In the context of the films themselves, the training room from 'The Last Stand' implies that there were Sentinals in the original timeline already utilized prior to 2023. Extensively, the events in X1 and X2 were mainly isolated feuds of which were largely under the radar.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  15. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Edge of Tomorrow - Holy CRAP. That wasn't what I was expecting. Great action, great storytelling, great humor. Very unexpected. Emily Blunt is a badass. Tom Cruise finally gets to play a different kind of hero. The aliens are legitimately scary. The trailers actually barely give away anything. Anyone who was underwhelmed by Oblivion will love this movie. It's one of my personal best of the year. - 9/10

Please don't be a flop. :(

16. Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

The lastes Xmen movie! Alot of people didn't who was picked to play Quicksilver but have to admit, the one of the best part of the movies was him when he helped Magneto escaped. That and the part when Magneto dragged Raven on the ground by using the bullet that was in her leg! *giggles*

17. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

The Blair Witch Project - 4.5/5

Just the right amount of fucking creepy.

18. MKH

Wow, Vdalem's on a spoiler splurge.

19. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I'm sorry, but The Blair Witch Project is fucking stupid.

20. Francois Dillinger

Francois Dillinger Well-Known Member

Her. Gave it 8/10 on IMDB. Loved it, and was deeply affected by it (not in a way that makes me wanna fuck my laptop).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.