What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) – Yeah, yeah, this is great and all, but HOLY SHIT this is fucking theatrical. This movie takes itself way too seriously. So much, in fact, that it's laughable at times. Jesus Christ, every dialogue including any relevant character is so unnecessarily "epic" it hurts. 7/10

2. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Guardians of the Galaxy - 9/10

Had it not been for the first Iron Man this would have been the best MCU movie out there, but had it not been for the first Iron Man we would not have a MCU like we do now.

That post credits scene.. the only time I've ever angrily said NO in a movie theater. Imagine Ceasar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, that kind of NO. Come on James Gunn... Everyone is trying to forget about that character in film.

3. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - 3.75/5

Many have been hailing Guardians of The Galaxy as one of the best MCU movies to date. Does rank up with the likes of Iron Man, The Avengers, and The Winter Soldier? In my honest opinion, no. However, it is one of Marvel's most unique, stylized, and outright fun releases to date. Every character is portrayed greatly, and has their great funny moments. What surprised me the most was Dave Butista, he was actually one of my favorite characters in the movie (besides Bradley Cooper of course). To sum this up, the comedic aspects were handled greatly, and the VFX were fantastic (the 3-D is pretty darn good too). Where the movie falls short, and where most Marvel movies in general fall short, is the villain. Ronan The Accuser is portrayed greatly, and has a massive presence. But like the majority of MCU villains, he is just a stereotypical "I wanna take over the world" villain, doing everything he does solely because he wants to kill things, and have power. Why is it that every villain besides Loki has to be so completely one-dimensional? I really hope with Phase 3, this will change. Some of the more dramatic scenes didn't really click with me either. But, like I said, it's an incredibly fun movie. A definite recommendation.

That Post-Credits scene though, really? Just like Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, and The Avengers, the Post-Credit scene is funny one, but completely irrelevant. Will Mavel attempt to make a movie of who was in the scene? Maybe. However, considering that the next MCU movie is Age of Ultron, maybe it would have been a better idea to have something tying into that movie, similar to what was done with The First Avenger, rather than what we were given.

:samuel:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  4. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

World War Z - 4/5

Third time seeing it, third time loving it. Third time hating the end.

5. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Only, the OST was a total let-down in comparison to it's predecessor.

6. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Batman: Assault on Arkham - 3 out of 5

Not DCAU's finest work, but watching Batman not even face a challenge reminds us all once again that you don't need superpowers to be the most awesome hero.

22 Jump Street - 4 out of 5

How do you make a funny movie even funnier? You have them make fun of itself and almost break the 4th wall like 20 times.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  7. lime treacle

:lol: Come on, you can't deny the tone of their voices. It's ridiculous.

8. MKH

Guardians of the Galaxy - 5 out of 5

Damn. I actually teared up a few times, and I had an epic warmth inside during key heroic moments. The gripes I have with this film are nothing compared to all five of the Guardians' conviction in their characters - yes, even Bautista, and Diesel just proves again how great he is with voice acting. Cooper was straight up awesome, and I loved that the Saldana/Pratt chemistry didn't feel weird at all - in fact, this movie made Saldana actually kinda hot to me, and I don't mean I'm into green girls. James Gunn was definitely a great pick by Marvel, and it's great to finally see why he keeps putting so much emphasis on Rocket and Groot in interviews. Brolin's voice is absolutely booming, and the only other person I can possibly think of to rival his as the Mad Titan was killed off by Tony in the first Iron Man film, so...yeah.

I really liked how this felt separate from the other Marvel Studios films, yet it was a constant thought in my head that this does occur in the same universe as the rest of them - this is even more exciting to think about with a particular line Drax delivers at the end of the movie. It makes me wonder how drastic Edgar Wright's Ant-Man was going to be to where James Gunn was able to make this film feel like a standalone yet exist within the universe and not get fired. I don't think there's anything to confirm or deny that the Guardians will team up with The Avengers against Thanos, but at least Brolin will give either or both groups a challenge.

Pace honestly wasn't the worst part about this movie. Yeah, he fell kind of flat with his whole power-hungry control thing that everyone's used to, but you can't blame that on anything really - that's just what villains do. The only reason people prefer Loki over Ronan is that you had to kind of feel for Loki - his intention was to rule, albeit as a tyrant and not a good king, but Ronan just wanted to blow stuff up. The worst part about this movie though: Gillan as Nebula. It honestly would've been great if Gillan had no lines in the movie and just did her thing - all she did was shout her dialogue with no actual conviction, and really just came off as a filler character.

The Stan Lee cameo was legitimately funny - bravo, Bradley Cooper. I wish I could say the same for the post-credits scene, but I can't. It's great for making a couple of nods to the Marvel comics universe, but when Kevin Feige's got movies planned out until 2019, why not tease a little somethin' somethin' new, even if it's back on Earth? I digress, I don't think we'll be getting those jaw-dropping teasers anymore after the Phase I films.

Although not every single scene is exciting or immersive, Pratt deserves his leading man spot, not only of the team but the film - the guy's got great charisma and truly owned Peter Quill. This officially stands as my second favorite Marvel Studios film thus far, right after Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Oh, and, don't let anyone tell you this isn't better than The Avengers, because it is.

9. Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.
    1. Funniest Marvel movie
    2. Fine of the most tender and touching moments in the MCU.
    3. Casual fans beware. They don't give a lot of back story and there are a lot of characters. They assume you know who the Nova Corps are.
    4. Don't stay for the credit scene. It's nothing to do with future movies. It's more or an in-joke that is not as funny as the schwarma scene.

10. MKH

The Purge: Anarchy - 1 out of 5

The mindless majority of today's society flocking to theaters because the trailer for the original The Purge hid how absolutely stupid Charlie Sandin was is what led to Universal allowing DeMonaco to make yet another shitty film. Although this one is less frustrating in terms of portraying the opposite of any sensible human's reactions in these scenarios, DeMonaco still decides to channel George R. R. Martin and take out the people with heart who matter, leaving the annoying, shallow characters behind. Where as the purging captured the first time around felt necessary, despite its nature, this film focuses on visual presentations rather than actual purpose or reason for said presentations.

A Haunted House 2 - 1 out of 5

While still just as all over the place as its predecessor, A Haunted House 2 does, admittedly, deliver a few laughs.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  11. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) - 3/5

I enjoyed all of the Smaug stuff. Besides that the barrel scene was alright. Everything else kind of breezed past my eyes. Overall I guess I liked spending time in the LotR universe. Although I gotta say, for a 2013 film with such a big budget, some of the CGI looked REALLY phony and they stuck out like sore thumbs.

12. lime treacle

Not sure if you've read the book, but I have, and although I haven't seen this film yet, three movies is just too much. Pretty sure this book is shorter than any of the LOTR trilogy books, so that's probably the reason "everything else [but those two events] kind of breezed past" your eyes. They're dragging it out too much, putting stuff in that isn't even in the book. I understand it's all because of money, but jeez.

13. Gibs

I really, really wish Gumerillo Del Toro wouldn't have left The Hobbit. He would have done a MUCH better job than Peter Jackson has, especially in the effects department. Why does Jackson feel the need to use a bunch of sub-par CGI?

14. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Hmmm... The director of the original movies is making a prequel trilogy that's vastly inferior to the original movies. This seems very familiar.

15. lime treacle

Maybe he wants to invest less money so he could get back even more!

16. MKH

Chef - 4.5 out of 5

One has to wonder what Jon Favreau was smoking to have put out the mess that is Iron Man 2 and then follow up with this nearly perfect film full of heart and some of the most organic human performances ever by the entire cast. Just real quickly, the film does suffer from some characters that don't truly serve a point to the film, but rather establish that Favreau keeps tabs on his Iron Man 2 buddies. Moving on, from the get-go, the film captivates with Favreau's ability to learn from master chefs and replicate as close as possible their techniques in giving your stomach the most epic teases; we later, for the majority of the film, follow Chef and his son, and their journey in actually getting to know one another. What we end up with is a blend of two generations coming together towards the same goal, and all is well for Carl and his family in the end, as it should be with his industry of choice. My face actually hurts from how much I smiled watching this movie.

17. Agent

Del Toro would've been a thousand times better! The CGI in LotR looks far more convincing than the ones here. It really didn't make sense, since WETA usually does some brilliant work.

And I agree, they unnecessarily dragged out the story this much. It didn't need to be this long. Could've easily packed all this in one movie.

18. lime treacle

Yeah, probably. Two would have been fine, though.

19. Gibs

To be fair, George Lucas was the director of only A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were handled by different directors. George Lucas actually wanted Empire Strikes Back to be a lot more light-hearted than what it was, but the director stood by his vision.

20. Agent

The Hobbit originally was supposed to be one film, even when Pete Jackson took the reigns. Then they got greedy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.