What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I was under the impression that Jackson intended to do Del Toro's plan of a two part film, which was announced initially. Then, they announced The Desolation of Smaug, making the overblown trilogy.

2. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Sin City - 4/5

Really unique in many ways

3. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Seen The Distortion of Sound today, here are my thoughts:

• The film makes a good point on the cons of the ways we listen to music these days.
    • It's interesting to hear the outlook of big faces of the music industry on these issues and on music in general.
    • Lots of Linkin Park studio footage, nice!
    • Hot Kate Nash is hot.
    • Despite offering a good point and trying to raise awareness about the issues of compression, the film just ends after the sentence "It's possible to bring it all back" (the quality of audio recordings) and doesn't at all mention how, or try to encourage the viewer to do something about it.
    • Won't rate it because it's only 22 mins long.

4. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I went ahead and finally watched this since I saw you did. I don't think it was a very good documentary. It was so heavily edited, it seemed more like a 22 minute long PSA.

I had a problem with a couple things, like the "head-bob test." 4x as many people bobbed their heads to uncompressed audio quality? What was the data on that? Was that an actual study? Did they random sample and do repeated trials for credibility? You can't just throw something like that out there without citing what actually took place. That takes credibility away from this video.

Also, when they played the uncompressed/compressed audio for comparison...I'm sorry, I've listened to some shitty 128 kbps MP3s before, but *nothing* has ever sounded that bad, unless it was recorded with a potato. They purposefully dramatized the differences between uncompressed and a typical compressed MP3 to drive the point home. But I wish they would have taken the time to sit down and actually break down the more realistic differences.

It's ironic that someone in this video says we are now a generation of "McDonalds consumers" of music, because this "documentary" looks like it was crafted to be a McDonalds-esque experience. Heavily edited and not a genuine documentary in the truest sense.

Also:

Coherence - 4/5

Nice, low-budget, weird thriller.

5. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I agree, Brandon.

~

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) – Not sure if it deserves the status it enjoys, but great film nevertheless. 8/10

6. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Sex Tape - 4/5

I laughed for an hour and a half. Good job.

7. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Guardians of the Galaxy, A.

8. Filip

Mall - 2.5/5

The directing was good. Had some beautiful shots. Acting was bad. Story focused too much on irrelevant, uninteresting subplots rather than the main plot, which was interesting. Movie tried to bring a message but it kinda failed. All in all, just okay.

9. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Guardians of the Galaxy - 4/5

Best Marvel movie? No. Most fun Marvel movie? Yes.

This visually impressive movie is the very definition of "fun". And not only that but the moments that needed to be touching, were touching and felt real. That's what I call an accomplishment, when you know this movie has a talking tree and a talking raccoon as two of its main characters.

10. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Yesterday I saw Dawn of The Planet of The Apes. It was as close to perfect a movie could get.

Today I saw Guardians of The Galaxy. Wasn't as good as Apes but it was really good. I loved it The worst part was the villains. Why did they want to destroy everything? There's no explanation as to why the villains want to fuck things up besides the fact that they're evil. The best part of the film for me was Rocket and Groot. I loved them. Batista was surprisingly good as Drax too.

11. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

TMNT (2014)

6.5/10

The Bad

Something about this film seems off, it's like they got so many things right, but so many things wrong. My main fault with the film lies within the pacing of the film, despite being over 90 minutes it felt rushed. It's full of plot-holes, a rather thin plot, and little character development resulting in much to be desired. It almost feels like a film that serves a sequel rather than a reboot. I still say the original 1990 film is the perfect example of a TMNT film done right, it captured everything that made the comic and cartoon great and translated it perfectly to the big-screen. Here, it leaves so much to be explained with little answers given. It's like the film throws you in the middle and expects you to know everything about Shredder and the Foot Clan. They really should have gone more in-depth than what they did, I know Nickelodeon wanted the film to be short, but it really would have benefited from an additional 30 minutes or so for the film to flow better.

The good

The visuals of the film look fantastic. Some of the set pieces are dark and gritty, while others are grand and epic. Regardless if you like the Turtles redesigns, their personalities were done right. If there was one thing this film did right is that it was faithful to the characters, not so much the story, but the characters were done well. I was expecting Megan Fox to be awful in this film, but she did decently, there were spots were I thought she could have showed more emotion, but that might not be exactly her fault. Shredder looks a transformer, whether you like that or not is up to you.

I just think if the film had a more well written script and a slightly longer run time it could of had the potential to be a faithful and memorable TMNT film. It really is only missing that extra bit of character development and back story to have the film wrap up into a true TMNT experience. The film was so close, but so far. Unlike many, I'm actually glad there's been a sequel announced, it desperately needs one in my opinion. However, this time I would prefer a new director and producer, people who could deliver a closer and more faithful take on TMNT. Until then, I suggest just sticking with the 1990 film, it does everything right and it's the way to go.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  12. Mr. Awesome

Mr. Awesome Well-Known Member

13. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

The Dark Knight Rises 8/10: So this movie was really good. It really kept me on the edge of my seat. Also, he really gets humanized in the first fight. I have to say, it was kind weird and uncomfortable to watch. Well done, the pacing at the end was weird. Just the way the time on the bomb progressed. In some parts 6 minutes would go by in a couple minutes. In others a couple seconds went by in what seemed like 5-7 minutes. That was weird. Wasn't totally satisfied with the Wayne's World Super Happy ending but it was alright. Not sure I like what they did with Talia either, but they also made the story their own instead going the book, so again, forgivable.

14. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I've only just watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off....considering the crappy era it came from, this was surprisingly a very very good film IMO

15. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

^First of all, crappy era? The 80's were fucking great. Two, that's one of the greatest movies of all time.

16. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

80's = crappy era? DAFUQ.

---

Saw Distortion of Sound. It was okay. Basically what's been said is what I agree with. It brought up good points, and fucked up that compression comparison, but didn't really solve anything.

Now, with the last point, I actually feel like the documentary complains about something that isn't at all an issue, so of course it can't solve something that can't be solved. People enjoy music as they want to. Some people don't mind watching videos in 480p, some will only download 1080p quality videos. Neither of them will enjoy the content any less than the other. I listen to music all the time on earphones, and you know what? It's good enough to me. I don't need perfect music quality when I'm outside of the house. One of the "perpetrators" of listening on earphones with bad compression are runners, as brought up multiple times in the visual examples of the film. Do you really think someone exercising is going to listen to the music and go, "wow, the clarity of the guitar, the emotion of the singer's voice, it's so incredible!" Of course not. They're running and probably paying more attention to other things like pacing, not getting hit by a car, where they're traveling to, etc. It's all about context. Sure, it would be great if Pandora and Spotify had uncompressed FLAC available for streaming, but really, I don't give a fuck. I'm listening to the music for fun and not to have a religious and emotional breakdown in a car full of people like the interviewees seem to want to happen. Regardless, I wouldn't even notice a difference between FLAC and MP3 in that casual-listening experience because I'm not even bothered to look out for the quality. Then of course, sitting at home, actively listening to an album on my Audio Technica M50's, I want as much detail as I can get. I will be listening to the clarity, depth, quality, and everything else- but only because I'm really listening to music.

It is great that artists aspire to put such perfection and detail into their music. I love that, because I'm a huge fan of music, but most people aren't. Some people look at music as a casual experience, and that's totally alright. The kind of people who take it seriously will listen to music as it should be listened to. End of story. It's just all about context.

17. Filip

The Social Network - 4.5/5

What a great movie. Jesse Eisenberg did a really great job with this, which I didn't expect. Andrew Garfield is probably my favorite actor, so that made it even better. Justin Timberlake was good as always, dat haircut doe. All in all, a great experience.

Also, thank you Trent Reznor and Atticuss Ross. Much more NIN like soundtrack than I expected.

18. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

American Psycho ??? - I have no clue what to give this movie because I don't know how serious to take it. Everything spiraled so out of control in the end that I can only imagine this being a parody. At least that's what I would like to think.

19. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

That's definitely one way to take it. Another way is that its a movie about a guy who was crazy the whole time and none of the murders actually happened (which, when the movie came out, wasn't an overdone trope). This would explain why the man tells Christian Bale at the end that Jared Leto's character is alive.

OR, it's a movie trying to make the argument that society is so desensitized, cold, and uncaring about violence, that a man could be a psychotic killer and no one would really even care, even if he confessed and demanded that someone arrest him. Everyone is seen as ultra similar and therefore very disposable. That's why everyone is always mixing up everyone's names, and why the man *thinks* Jared Leto's character is alive. It's very open to interpretation.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  20. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I mean, I picked up on the messages (or a couple of them anyway). The ending was just so goofy, I couldn't tell if it was on purpose or not. It's just when he's fucking running blasting everyone, he blows up the cop cars :lol:. I mean, I thought it was well done overall, including the very last scene with the restaurant and the lawyer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.