Music What to do for motivation?

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by Modern Guitar God, May 13, 2017.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I am feeling that I don't want to do music anymore. No progress and I have mostly negative experiences and feelings with it, regarding myself and the people and environment around me. May sound childish but it's something that's built up enough over years to make me have sort of a hatred for music.

I wonder what you all do to find motivation when you get into a rut like this. Do you listen to music? Practice techniques and scales? Take a break?

I think this is a place where you can share what we do when we get writer's block or feel frustrated with music.

Need answers. Thanks.

Captain-EO likes this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Some nights, I spend time casually putting together a kit of drum samples or editing a Massive patch instead of pressuring myself to start on a track. I have a lot of half-finished things (like we all do) and, sometimes, I do a little bit of work on those. Any progress, however little, is good.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Waiting for motivation is a mistake. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

This is a good idea. When I was younger, I used to spend time saving presets for reverb plug-ins and saving drum kits. I don't do it so much anymore because... I don't know. I should stop looking at everything so negatively, I guess, then things would be better.

I just started getting into Massive a lot. It's maybe the most powerful synth plug-in I've used so far and I been trying to find good ones for a long time.

This is true as well. I've been looking at things the wrong way.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Amarez

Amarez Well-Known Member

Ah, writer's block. Listen to a lot of music that juices up your vibes. Then jam out some random stuff (if you know how to play any instrument) to a random drum track. Some of the best material comes from random jams.