What will be Mike's vocal role on LP6?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by deadbysunrise, Mar 8, 2014.

deadbysunrise

deadbysunrise Well-Known Member

Okay, I remember we had a similar thread before Living Things came out. Let's do it again!

What do you think will be Mike's vocal role on LP6? Before ATS, he said he was singing back and forth with Chester on every song. Before LT, we knew there was more rapping than on ATS. We don't know anything now, though. What's more, having no Mike on the debut single doesn't make it easier to guess anything at all. On the other hand, we kind of know what the style of LP6 will be. If we can trust Mike's words and the sound of GATS, of course.

We know Mike can sing and we know he can rap. Heavier and rawer songs may be convenient for him to rap, which will bring more energy, but may risk people comparing them to 'old LP', which is something they want to get away from. Many people compare the sound of GATS to QWERTY, after all. However, they are likely to include the rap in a whole different way, so it doesn't sound familiar to LP fans at all. Like Rakim part sounds so different than standard Linkin Park.

Do you think Mike's singing will be appropriate on this record, though? We are used to him singing mainly soft songs or at least softer parts of heavier songs. The only more energetic song he took the lead vocal role on the past records is probably No Roads Left, and he didn't really manage to do it well live. We also have 'So Far Away', which is so old that it can't really indicate anything. His singing was a prominent part of ATS and LT, however, so not having it now would be kind of unexpected.

Would you like to see Mike singing? Would you prefer just rapping? Or do you expect a Chester-based record, similar to MTM? Discuss!

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'd love for him to take the lead vocals on a song. His performance in No Roads Left is amazing honestly, and I would love to hear something of that quality on a better song. When you look at Mike's choice for not rapping in GATS, you have to expect good things that won't be forced in singing and rapping.

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

Aggressive rapping would be my guess and maybe he'll bring back his lightning fast rapping from Reading My Eyes. I think havering Mike sing aggressively would be cool to hear on at least one song. I'm also hoping there is at least a ballad or two on the album with some of his softer singing on it.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

If this album were to be different from the previous ones, then it would be awesome to hear Mike singing on an energetic track. I think at this point Mike should have more confidence than he did back in 2007 with NRL, it's just about finding a good energetic instrumental that can fit his range, not too many high notes.

On the rapping part, we would all like him to up his game a bit, LITE was very good IMO, as well as UIB, but if he could do some deliveries like he did on IBG and Skin to Bone in Recharged, that would be awesome.

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

This. I think Mike has some talent that he could really let shine on the upcoming album.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

He's going to do some stuff on that one song that they'll play live at that one show.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I dunno, I really like Mike's higher vocals when he sings Blackout live. Has a lot of energy and sounds much better than when he sings Burning in the Skies live, where his vocals are a lot lower.

So I definitely think he can do energetic vocals. What I am really hoping for his for him to scream on record. He's screamed during paper cut live once, I think.

I want surprises mostly.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I feel like a lot of it would be aggressive rapping. I also hope for a little bit a singing from him. A song like In Between where he takes the lead would be amazing on this record.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I will be totally surprised if Mike has no rap parts on the album and just purely collaborations on some other rap artists like Ryu, Tak & the folks he worked during The Rising Tied.. Any lead vocals on certain tracks would be cool.. But since rumors of the new Fort Minor record will about to surface after this LP6 comes out in summer... Maybe Mike himself reserved his lines for that one.. We all know we heard on the verses of SKIN TO BONE on RECHARGED about going to Phase 2.... I have a feeling also that LP6 will be last record for Warner Bros based on the lyrics of GATS, "the end is near...." that line gives us a hint already..

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Just hope it won't be too obvious. Mike soft singing over a super heavy instrumental would actually makes for an interesting contrast IMO. Mike screaming would be insanely cool. Mike doing some rap...well, depends.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

He better not rap. Dear God, please don't rap.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Grasping at straws a bit too much?

Anonymous Person

Anonymous Person You promised me flesh!

I like me some fast-rapping in my diet, mmm-hmm.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'd be willing to guess that he'll sing when Chester isn't singing, and rap on songs that feature rapping but don't feature a guest spot from Rakim.

How's that for a non-answer? :lol:

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I'm willing to bet he'll sing back-up vocals while Chester's singing.

But yeah I feel like there will be singing from Mike similar to No Roads Left and some more aggressive rap like he did in Fort Minor.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I hope he doesn't rap at all. I want a record from LP where Mike doesn't rap and Chester doesn't scream before they're through.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Intense rapping maybe some dissing haha

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

:lol:

Why do people want this?

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Because honestly, it will be awesome.

I'm really looking forward to Mike's melodic vocals in the upcoming album, if any. He has done a great job and it would be ideal if he shared some of the vocal duties with Chester.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I'm hoping to hear some singing.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014