What Would You Like To See On The Next Version of LPA?

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Derek, Feb 11, 2013.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

This man knows!

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Better than a giant table and constant loading.

Why not both?

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Hey man, I'm not saying they won't consider it. Not even saying it's a bad idea. I'm just saying it made me laugh. The suggestion seemed so nonchalant. "Hey, this bathtub is kind of ugly. Why not tear down the whole bathroom and re-tile it, and do it with a hammer?" :p

I don't know what your "both" question is referring to. Why not tables AND javascript? Err... I don't know? Unnecessary lines of code? Ugly masses of bloated code? *shrugs*

hawk

The whole gallery is the problem though, not just the "bathtub".

The second part of my reply was the second part of your reply. :p

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The gallery has always been a pain in the ass tbh. There's just no good free gallery plugins out there. The version you see now is actually the third gallery script we've been on. One was done in house by our former site designer Alex, and the other two are ones we've downloaded and installed. Granted in the two years since we installed that gallery something better might have came out, but right now we're limited in our options. Paid gallery scripts can be expensive and considering we barely get any donations to offset the cost (like literally none) it just doesn't make financial sense to lay out loads of money for the sake of a slightly better interface.

Still it's a good suggestion and something we'll evaluate and see if we can improve one way or another.

Ginger

Ginger Orangutan LPA VIP

When a news post's link is posted to facebook, it will come up with the profile picture of who ever posted it that when there is no other image on the thread. As much as I love seeing Ron Swanson on my facebook newsfeed, I think it would be more professional looking to have the LPA logo there. Is there a way we could do that? I know its a facebook thing too, an LPA logo needs to be on the screen for it to come up as a preview.

Anyways, just a thought :) might not be able to get around that one.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Agreed, although it's hilarious seeing peoples' reactions.

Maybe staff should all have uniform avatars. Would solve the problem. But I can't see it happening.

Will have to try and find another work-around.

hawk

Pretty sure you can.

via stackoverflow

Ginger

Ginger Orangutan LPA VIP

That would make the place a lot less fun.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

It doesn't always pull out the news poster's avatar. I've seen it use random images from signatures and at one point it showed a picture of LPA member Arun, hahaha. So yeah, having uniform avatars won't solve that.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

The mobile site is a little bit unorganized. Simple signatures can take up a full screen on my phone, and the categories are a bit bulky on the forum screen. Also, the white theme is a bit ugly to look at.

Overall the functions I use on the desktop site are clean and easy to use. :)

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

a reputation system or the option to like posts. this is the only board I post on that doesn't have one of those features. and if you're a donator/VIP, why can't you change your name? C'mon!

Derek

You can change your name at any time? Just PM an admin. It takes us all but two seconds and it's really no big deal.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think he means on his own without needing an admin to do it. Problem with doing that though, is it would be extremely hard for staff to even identify people who want change their name every damn day, especially with the amount of donators/VIPs we have on the site.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

just saying, giving the VIPs some more extra bonus stuff would be nice. i never got the big deal about changing names and people needing to know who the user "used to be" or whatever. isn't that what a Display Name History is for, anyways?

hawk

No fucking way. One word: ego.

Derek

Yeah but you don't donate to get some "extra bonus stuff"...you donate because you're helping out the site. Nowhere is it implied, nor promised that giving money towards the site will result in special privileges, or preferential treatment. And honestly, I'm hoping that's not what you expected when you donated, because we don't sell admin abilities on the site.

To elaborate, it's not possible to just grant you the ability to change your name at will without having access to other accounts. That's not how vB works. To change names (even staff member's names) we have to log into the vBulletin Admin Control Panel, find the user and manually update the entry. The Admin CP is the blood and guts of the forums, and no amount of paid cash will grant access to that. Because admin status is earned on here, not bought.

So don't get me wrong, we are constantly debating ways to make donating more enticing and being a VIP member more than just a badge, because even though donations aren't purchases by definition, you're still giving your hard earned money to us and we appreciate it. But full admin powers, are a no go.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

How about making a annual free digital album out of all the winning remixes submitted in the Monthly Mix-Ups? Everyone would love that, and maybe we could present a copy every year to Mike! :shinado:

And yeah, I had suggested a "collaborative cover song" project in another thread - http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38354. Do consider it if you guys can.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    Derek

We've really wanted to do that for the longest time. But the problem is copyright. We're already treading a fine line hosting the remix contests, offering LP music essentially for free in a publicly promoted album (even if it IS a remix) may be opening up another can of worms altogether. I want to do it, just not sure what's going to be the result of it if we do. Warner already have C&D'd us over 30 second 96kbps Burn It Down clips...whole songs could be a deathwish.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

As a law student, I completely understand. I know in the back of my mind that doing something like this is impossible, and its just sad.

I REALLY hope LP gets out of Warner and goes all indie on us ASAP.. ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013