Who deserves more pity?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Ander, Dec 30, 2004.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

In your opinion, who deserves more pity: people who can read and don't or people who want to read but can't?

RememberingNever

RememberingNever Well-Known Member

:mellow: umm... I guess people who want to read but can't. Why should you pity someone who can read and doesn't. I mean like, if they don't care why should you? It's really not a bad thing if you don't bother to read and you can. I'm pretty sure a person who can read will read when they have to.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I agree. Someone who can read but won't doesn't really deserve pity, I mean it's their choice. They can start reading whenever they feel like it, nothing's stopping them.

But, why exactly would you ask something like this?

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Great topic. :thumbsup:

I would have to say people who can read and don't. They're wasting a gift that an illiterate person would probably kill for. If you have the ability to read, than read and obtain as much knowledge as you can. You may never know when something bad might happen and you all of a sudden lose the ability to read.

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

Speaking of reading , has anybody read the book "Tell No One" by Harlan Coben ? I just finished it and its an awesome book..

Back to the topic - I think people who want to read but cant deserve more pity

Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

the pity should go to the people that can read, but don't. they're wasting a beautiful gift. my sympathy and prayers would go to those that want to read but cannot.

Atsuzen

Atsuzen Super Member LPA Super Member

Those who read but can't deserve more pity, I guess.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Being able to read and not to is a waste of a wonderful gift. Deserves no pity.

I pity those who, when they're bored, can't grab a book and read.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Definitely those who can't read. Reading is an invaluable skill. It affects your life greatly. We all had to read to reply to this topic. Can you remember a day where you didn't read something? Save being in bed all day that is.

Those who can't read lose a valuable source of information. Almost everything you own has writing on it. I pretty much stopped reading leisurely when I got into music but I sure as hell read a lot more now that I'm taking music theory.

So if you can read but don't, your choice. But if you can't, then that's infinitely sad.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Those who want to read but can't don't neccesarily deserve to be pitied. They probably wouldn't like being pitied for their inability to read. Pitying them over those who can read but don't is perfectly ethical, however. People who can read but don't are wasting a gift and they don't deserve any pity whatsoever.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

People who can read but don't are making a choice. People who want to read but can't arent making a choice.

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Exactly

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

People who can't read but want to deserve more pity.

htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

The smart thing to do is not to show pity, just help them both in their problems: teach the illiterate to read and make the literate read.

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

its stupid to make someone read. they read because they dont want to. you cant make them want to if they are the kind of person who just doesnt like reading. second, most people who are illiterate live in third world countries. they dont know anyone who knows how to read, therefore, you cannot just teach them. unless, of course, you decide to fly around the world teaching everybody how to read.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I agree about literate people not being made to read.

Why pity people who can't read? It's their choice. If they don't want to read, why make them? They have to read at school/their job and countless other things, and chances are if they don't enjoy doing that, why would they want to read in their spare time?

As for illiterate people, why would anyone pity them? It's not their choice to be illiterate, so why pity them?