who here is learning or speaks another language?

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by GuliaLuna, Aug 11, 2015.

GuliaLuna

GuliaLuna Well-Known Member

Hi guys! I am wondering if any of you speak or are learning another language. I am learning German and French. I want to focus more on German since with French I get confused with the silent letters at the end and I just want to deal with that later. I speak both Italian and English fluently. Can anyone give me advice on how to learn German and French? I currently use an app called Duolingo and its great! How ever I want to expand my learning strategies more. Thank you :):):)

LazorCozmic

LazorCozmic Banned

Bonjour!

I can barely speak francais.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Yes. Turn away before it's too late, son.

Life's too short to learn German.

-

But seriously, if I knew how to help you, my grades would probably be better.

Captain-EO likes this.
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Croatian is my mother tongue. I have some basic knowledge of German, but not enough to help you; you can ask some of the Germans here to help you (Cypher, Michele). I'm learning Italian in school right now and I suppose I'm getting the hang of it, though not as much as I'd like to. Maybe you could help me with it! :)

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Well, is easy if you grew up learning german :lol: Dunno how its for you guys :3

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Hmm, at times even I have my little troubles with it and I'm German ^^ Maybe It's cause I'm from Bavaria and we're not used to talk standard German :lol:
    But don't worry, don't let that discourage you :sweating: It's maybe easier as you might think!

Perhaps those little extr@ episodes (produced by channel 4) might be helpful for you?

You can find all of them on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhP3OT2hxAE

I used them when I started learning Spanish a few years ago, since they're not too complicated and quite learner-oriented!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extr@

From what I know the episodes become more difficult in terms of content, vocabulary and grammar as the series progresses.
    Four versions were made, each in a different language; English, French, -->German, and Spanish. (so there you go!)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    GuliaLuna

Thank you guys and I understand your struggles!
    I grew up speaking Italian and English at the same time first. Then I started going to school so learning Italian became harder. But each time I went to Italy I picked up on more Italian so now Im more fluent than ever :)
    I have been picking up on the German words well because it has a few similarities with English. Including that I speak another language, it would be easier for me to learn another language. I can say words. And I am focusing on forming sentences.

GuliaLuna

I could! and I hear in Croatia there are some Italian speaking parts! Thats cool. Maybe I would want to visit the Italian speaking parts of Croatia. So far I want to visit Italy (again :p) Scotland, Greece and Switzerland.

GuliaLuna

For real? I had this language app and they all of sudden they wanted me to pay for most of the sections such as food, clothing, money, family members ect...
    I have the Italian course on it and I just do the test first just in case I come across something I might need to learn.

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

If you can speak Italian French should be easier that German no?

And does Italian not have (many) silent letters?

GuliaLuna

Italian doesnt have many silent letters. The only one I could think of is the "h"
    I just feel with the silent letters in French its gonna take me a while to get used to.
    Italian and French pronunciation is easier (sorry said harder before!) than German pronunciation.
    Maybe because I speak English most of the time it makes it easy to learn German?
    I think its more of an everyone is different thing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Italian is fairly easy to read and write.

GuliaLuna

Thats very true! Words are spelled on how you say them.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I know English, Filipino and some dialects of Chinese, although I'm kinda bad at the latter language, which is ironic since I'm of Chinese descent #dishonortomyfamily #dishonortomycow

Captain-EO likes this.
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I know this is kinda off topic, but how hard is it to learn English for you non-Americans?

LazorCozmic

LazorCozmic Banned

It's THIS hard.

GuliaLuna

I was born in America. Having a knowledge of languages, if you are learning a language that is in the same language family of a language you already speak, it shouldnt be hard. For example, I speak Italian, a Romance language and I am learning French, it hasnt been hard for me since French is a romance language too.

German and English have similarites here and there but completely different. So I am able to pick up on German easily.
    Thats how I see it.
    My cousin is a younger than me and lives in Italy, she takes English in school and can say some stuff perfectly. Sometimes taking a class doesnt help, you need to put yourself in a situation where you have to speak it, then you will learn. Maybe she may have a thing for languages :)

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

I wouldn't be able to talk to you guys had I not pay attention to english subject in Middle school.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Learning Japanese is simultaneously really hard and really intuitive (once you get a feel for how the language works that is).

The Japanese phonetic kana are so consistent that pronunciation is basically a non-issue and I never have trouble with it. Grammar is also pretty consistent, and the lack of gendered nouns and articles and all the other things you have to memorize for Romance languages is great.

But the KANJI. Oh my word. Two years in and I'm still just so bad at kanji. :lol:

Also trying to brush up on/further my Spanish skills right now, kind of taking priority over Japanese.