Who Was the Highlight in Each Album?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by kazekyou, Jul 4, 2012.

kazekyou

kazekyou 持ち上げて、解放して

Linkin Park have released their fifth album already and it's safe to say: these guys will be sticking around for a little while longer. Each of their five albums have had wildly distinctive sounds, but with each album, who do you think was the band's stand-out member?

For example:
    - Living Things: I think Rob Bourdon's drumming really took top honours this time around. From his KRAAAAAZY banging in "Victimized", to the steam chug of "Castle of Glass" and the deep booms of "Roads Untraveled", Rob just took this one out of the "Park". Mike Shinoda takes the honourable mention for his earth-shaking raps and his maturity as a vocalist.

- A Thousand Suns: Chester, for his incredibly varied sound. Mike again takes the honourable mention for his incredible interplay with Chester.

- Minutes to Midnight: Brad's skills on the guitar really got the spotlight in this album, especially with the likes of "In Pieces". Honourable mentions go to Chester, who proved to me that his voice didn't need digital manipulating for incredible sounds.

- Meteora: Mike goes all out with his swagger in my least favourite album, and he does it with such confidence. Chester gets an honourable nod for being able to belt out all those screams.

- Hybrid Theory: Joe takes the cake in HT. His mixing and scratching really distinguished LP from other rock bands for me. HM go to Chester & Mike, who are really inseparable in this album; their interplay really put LP on the map.

Who was the stand-out in each album for you?

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Does Mikes laptop count as a band member yet?

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Joe Hahn in HT
    Chester in Meteora and MTM
    Mike and Chester in ATS
    Mike in LT

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

This is like those posts or threads that go "OMG where was brad on ATS???" or "where was joe on M2M??" but flipped

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I've always felt that Chester and Mike are at the forefront of every album. Individually, no other member stands out beyond them. Each other member of the band has always stood out a little more or a little less throughout the albums though.

Joe: Stands out the most in Hybrid Theory and Meteora. A lot of the noises in Living Things will likely be played by Mike's enormous keyboard. He was almost absent in Minutes To Midnight.

Brad: Stands out in Minutes To Midnight, and is clearly present in the first two albums. His presence is more abstract and subdued in the latest two albums, however.

Rob: Stands out in Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns. Songs like The Catalyst, The Little Things Give You Away, and Iridescent are great drum songs. Very simplistic style in Hybrid Theory and Meteora, and extremely simplistic in Living Things in some parts. Some standouts are I'll Be Gone and Powerless.

Dave: Stands out in Minutes To Midnight. Simplistic style in the first two albums, and absent in some songs in Living Things.

For Mike and Chester, they stand out in every album. Chester practically runs Minutes To Midnight, and has a slightly greater presence than Mike in Hybrid Theory and Meteora. However, in A Thousand Suns and Living Things, it's a pretty even split. Mike has a much stronger presence, and the vocals are split more evenly.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Well, talking vocally:

HT: Chester
    Meteora: Chester
    Minutes to Midnight: Chester
    A Thousand Suns: Chester/Mike
    Living Things: Mike

Overall:
    HT: Joe
    Meteora: Chester
    Minutes to Midnight: Chester
    A Thousand Suns: Mike
    Living Things: Rob/Mike

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    LinkinMark

LinkinMark Hater.

Mike on all of them.....

Blake

even MTM?

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Just because of the personalities that make up the band Mike and Chester are always in the forefront. I mean beyond that haunt stride out in the first 2 brad and pheonix stood out more on minutes. ATS was all Mike and Chester. Which isn't too say the others didn't do anything. Intact I think their role in it was greatly underrated. But the music just lent to the vocalists in that the other band didn't make a prominent appearance on it. As for LT brad has come back up front a little more but not immensely. Oh, and Rob has always kind of remained in the same spot. Never really shining yet totally fundamental.

minuteforce

So, now, we're talking about the band's live show? I think Hahn and Shinoda do an even amount of work in terms of triggering samples.

The band have constantly spoken about how, for example, Delson wasn't necessarily always the person playing guitar parts in the studio on the band's last two or three studio albums.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Pretty much agree with all of this.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

We should all keep in mind, as the band has said, that just because their selected instrument isn't present on an album, doesn't mean that they're not doing anything. For all we know, Phoenix's opinions could have swayed the direction of many songs off of LIVING THINGS, or Rob could have contributed a lot of ideas for A Thousand Suns. I feel we're being a little naive here because honestly, Chester and Mike stand out on every album because their roles are obvious. The others are not as much, so we have no place to say.

kazekyou

kazekyou 持ち上げて、解放して

Hm, we all seem to have strayed from my original question.

I'm not asking in terms of the band members' contributions; rather, I'm asking which albums really allowed them to showcase their talent.

Obviously someone like Joe didn't get to do much performance-wise in M2M, but maybe his part in that album really stood out (or example). I mean, my opinion of Brad stealing the M2M spotlight was only based off 2 songs (TLGYA and In Pieces), but it sure as hell made an impression on me.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I think that's really difficult. I understand where you're coming from, but the way this band functions is sort of the opposite of showcasing talent. If we were going to really find a chance for us to say, "Wow, this person is really talented," who are we going to fixate on? Mike and Chester. We could offer some for Joe considering how much more he was showcased on earlier efforts, and I think we have hard time avoiding that Rob is solid - but where am I going to find an example for you that Phoenix and Brad are talented? I wouldn't even say that Brad's work on Minutes to Midnight showcased his true talent. Brad is excellent with Power Chords and Phoenix follows well. That is all I can gather after so many releases from Linkin Park.

minuteforce

^ QFT.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

HT = Mike, I feel he had the most to do on this one, rapping, lyrics...
    M = Chester, no one could sing/scream like that
    MTM = Brad, he had a big role, and he finally started actually playing the guitar
    ATS = Mike, I feel like he made the album. Well, him and modern technology.
    LT = Rob. Proved he's absolutely amazing.

LPChris

LPChris LP Fan Since 8/2001

Mike Shinoda is the highlight in every album. Without him, Linkin Park is a dead band 10 years ago.

Geki

Geki >.

One of the stupidest things I have ever read on a LP fansite in my entire life.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

:ditto:

Blake

:ditto: