Wiki update & Spam attack

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Vriska, Nov 18, 2010.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Yes, we still exist and we are still working. The LPA wiki has passed the threshold for #1 English Language Linkin Park wiki a while ago, while still being only a few months old and relatively hidden. Thank you contributors for your help.

It's now big enough to get the attention of a rather large, sophisticated army of flood bots with morphing IP addresses and everchanging spam URL links. I am doing my best to combat these, but I'm still using standard fare stone-age bamhammer to do so. While I have admin powers, I do not have configuration power to add things like the extensions I requested earlier, and things like this: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Anti-spam_features .... a CAPCHA would be realllly nice.

If you see such a spam message (it's REALLY obvious) do not follow it's link and undo it's changes immediately.

And finally, I'd like to ask the community to push once more to get content filled in. We have most song pages started and over 230 pages of content, and I see the awesomeness threshold coming.... That's where all the basic information is in there and then people start adding things a lot of fans didnt know before, and that's when the LP Wiki becomes a unique and powerful asset to the LP community.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

It was only a matter of time before bots came into the equation :(

Let's kick some ass! :headbang:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Thanks for all your hard work. I'll look into adding CAPTCHA to it later tonight when I get home from work.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

We have certainly been noticing your hard work and dedication, and we appreciate your push to keep the Wiki updated a lot more than you realize. When we first went ahead with this suggestion a few months back, we had a lot of doubts about it's ability to succeed or stay updated...but we were dead wrong. To you (and whoever else is keeping it updated): THANK YOU. Please let us know of any extensions/updates you might need and we'll work to get them in. We definitely plan to make the Wiki a more prominent feature in future updates to the site :).

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

I'm all for going against the spam. Especially on something I invested a lot of time into. So its now personal lol.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I have forums, well I am an admin on forums and when it was starting up, the amount of spam we got was unbelievable. I don't do much on the wiki, but I'll take this spam down, as I know how annoying it can be.

Todd

OK, I've added a captcha for creating accounts, and editing and adding articles for unregistered users, so I think we're all set.

Kathy, what would you need for configuration power? I'd like to try to give them to you if we can accommodate it.

Vriska

That's like your job lol. You can keep it. What i meant by configuration is sticking them Extension php's and things in the backend file system.

Like this one http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite/Cite.php
    and this one http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Poem

I think those are the only two things I can think of that the wiki needs. The first one just makes citing a source less painful, and the second makes typing lyrics out less painful.

Anyway thank you ^_^
    That should kill em dead.

*admires the carnage on the recent changes page*

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    Todd

OK, those look simple enough to install, I'll give it a shot. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to media wiki so I'll ask you to test it when I'm done to make sure I did it right :lol:

Vriska

I will, and I'll be writing up a how-to-use guide for the users anyway.

Todd

Actually, might not get to it until later tonight or tomorrow, just got a call from my boss, and my boss's boss's boss's boss wants something that we were supposed to do tomorrow done tonight :lol:

(actually don't know why I used the lol smiley, I could strangle someone right about now)

Vriska

It's like one of those moments where your mind just cannot handle the anger and just smiles instead.
    Just like a omnicidal maniac..... :D

Totally been there. That sucks.. good luck, and I'm not in no hurry either. And i tested the capcha and it seems to be working great.

Vriska

I know i'm double posting. but i just did something worse.

I totally just borke the wiki just now trying to merge a page. (I hit semicolon on accident and I didn't see it until it was too late). Now you can't edit anything T_T
    I'm so ashamed. I'm going to put on the mask of sorrows now. And then I'm going to cry while listening to Linkin Park.

I can barely make out the error message: paramater 1 to ReCapcha..... (hidden by tabs) ..... Hooks.php on line 133
    The "official" message says "Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information."

Wow how did me moving and deleting and then undeleting a page do that? T_T . i suck. (specifically "LPUX: Demos" and "LP Underground X: Demos;" and "LP Underground X: Demos")

Derek

Don't worry about it, we likely can revert to a backup. We might just lose any edits/updates made before that backup. That's all.

Todd

I should be able to restore it from a backup when I get home from work, we have a backup from 1 AM central so hopefully we won't lose too much.

Just out of curiosity, a semicolon is capable of breaking the wiki? That's insane :lol:

Vriska

I don't think it was a semicolon by itself? A combo of factors? Undoing a deletion? I think I just hit some weird use case.

I had that little voice in my head going "y'know this feels kludgey...." and every time I hear that I never listen and something goes bad.

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Occured during an attempt at editing on the LPUX: Demos. I don't even know what's happened to that page; the recent changes seems to have mind fucked me.

Todd

Try it now, I think the problem is fixed :)

Vriska

The whole bagunca happened when I was trying to move LPUX: Demos to another page. The fact that I succeeded in doing that now means it's fixed now. Thanks Todd.

Derek

Bagunca? We need a wiki entry just for that word.