WLAN problems

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by the_king_of_all, Feb 17, 2006.

the_king_of_all

the_king_of_all LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Ok. So basicly. 1 oclock this morning, the mouse on my laptop crashes, and hitting shutdown wouldn't work, so i just had to turn it off (I tried for about 5 minutes to find a way around that). and i turn it back on, and the Wireless LAN connection indicator has a cross on it, say it doesn't work, so i can't connect to the net. since then i have reset about 5 times, trawled through every WLAN related help topic, read the instruction manual, done system restore (to the day before when it was working), virus scans (which came up with nothing), and clicking the picture of the WLAN connection indicator, right or left, does nothing. when i open the list of wireless connections it says 'Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on' ...but there is no wireless switch.. ..help would be apriceiated (sp?)...

Oh. And if it helps. My laptop is a Packard bell easynoteR

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

Check your IP address - - go to start, run, type "cmd", then type "ipconfig /all" (without the ""). For the adapter "Wireless Network Connection", your IP address needs to start with 192.168.x.x
    If it starts with 169.254.x.x, you have no 'real' IP. Do this:

1) Shut computer down
    2) Unplug power from router, THEN modem.
    3) Wait 30secs - 1min
    4) Plug in modem. Wait till modem syncs up (or 1 min, whatever's first)
    5) Plug in router. Wait till it boots up (about 20 secs)
    6) Turn on computer, get to desktop, try it again.

...This is the best reset you can do. If it still doesn't work, go into Device Manager, remove the wireless card and reboot (make sure you have the wireless card drivers CD handy in case this blows up in your face). WinXP should reinstall the drivers automatically - - they're backed up on your hard drive already.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Did you hit function and the wlan button. That turns it off. Hit your fcn key and the wlan one and it should turn back on.

the_king_of_all

Ah. thanks. but when i did ipconfig/all it came up with no IP, just a phsyical adress. and i don't have the disk for the drivers so i'd rather not risk uninstalling anything, but i'll try the reset. Oh. and just to note, my brothers wireless internet (he is on the same network as me) is also down, but his WLAN connection indicator is working, as he can pick up other peoples networks

EDIT @Neil: Ok.. where's the WLAN button? (yes. i'm stupid. if you mean the picture of the house on the task bar, that doesn't work)

EDIT2 (Fixed):GAH! Neil. you were right. I figured out where the WLAN button was. cheers bud (and thanks to smashpilot too :p). And to explain what happened, since i didn't know what that button did (the only button i didn't know) I pressed it last night to see if it would fix the mouse. and that is exactly why you should not go round pressing random buttons when things break (Yes. I am an idiot :lol:) Anyway. Cheers for replying guys

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2006
    Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

Physical address is your MAC address - it goes 00-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx right?

Anyways, sounds like it's up now, good :lol:

the_king_of_all

Yeah, it does. and it's back up and working again. cheers for the help though

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

And that's why I'm going to be a tech. I love solving people's problems.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Some of us just run after trouble... We need to be sickos to go into such a buisness :lol: . Too many problems, too many ungrateful customers, no margin of error.

(Currently doing studies in Information Technologies, in the programming branch)

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I did Computer Science (programming) in college for a year before switching my major to IT. As much as I hate troubleshooting Windows, I'd rather do that than code all day ;)