Wrestling / MMA

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Joe, Jul 14, 2005.

1. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

The complete lack of faith Coker and Strikeforce had in Werdum before that fight is amazing. Before, it was "the winner gets Overeem for the title", now it's "immediate rematch". I guess Werdum/Overeem couldn't draw a dime on PPV anyway, but still. It's not like Fedor is a proven commodity on the PPV front. Atleast some people would know Fabricio from the UFC, but Fedor is just some Russian dude with a pretty goddamn impressive record.

Either way, Strikeforce blows, and it's going to take alot more than Dan Henderson, Fedor, Cung Le aka the guy in a bunch of direct to DVD movies, OMG a "female division", etc.

2. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Hahaha, couldn't agree more. It is pretty funny how they used Fedor as their prize dog to bring in the fans and guaranteed the winner a shot at the title like you said, but as soon as he loses, it has to be a rematch! Haha, pretty pathetic. Wouldn't surprise me if they pay Werdum to throw the next fight just so they can get those buy-rates they so desperately want with Fedor & Overeem.

...and yeah, the female division does nothing for me, okay it was kinda fun to see Cyborg swing for a while but it's always going to be like a really bad men's match and nothing more.

3. $pvcxGhxztCasey

Even if Werdum was to throw the rematch with Fedor, his match with Alistair probably wouldn't even be more successful than the first WEC PPV. Seriously.

At this point, Strikeforce having "big names" like Hendo and whatnot, doesn't even matter. It's like the whole TNA/WWE thing, Hendo just seems like an ex-UFC guy in a land of no-name fighters to the general MMA audience (not us). It's sad but I think the real threat to the UFC in the coming years is Bellator. It's sad because they're like the ECW in this whole situation, quietly creeping up behind everyone in popularity before they surprise everyone with something. I'm thinking Roger Huerta won't be the first "jumping ship" type deal we see from UFC to Bellator, or Strikeforce to Bellator. The tournament system is akin to the early UFC days too, which is kinda ironic, I guess.

4. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Yeah, it's kind of brutal watching Cyborg beat the ever-living shit out of some girl half her size, haha. There just aren't enough good female fighters to really make the division exciting, I think.

I agree, Casey, Bellator is becoming the dark horse of MMA. I only wish Bellator could secure a better tv deal; FSN sucks a fat one.

5. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

So apparently Wade Barret and Drew McIntyre have been pulled off WWE Television and sent back to Britain because their visas have expired.

You'd kinda think that a big fuck-off corporation like WWE would make sure every foreign employee's visa is sound, especially two members of the active roster who are both playing important roles on TV.

6. $pvcxGhxztCasey

Presumably, Sheamus is next since he started with FCW/WWE around the same time as those two. Unless they actually handled Sheamus' visa issues, or he brought it to their attention. I'm just waiting for the "WWE CHAMPION DEPORTED" headline to pop-up any day now.

7. Luke

Apparently Sheamus is okay. He made it known to the company in the early stages and they got his paperwork sorted out.

8. Joe

REGAL.jpg

9. Joe

Holy shit, apparently Rick The Dragon Steamboat is in hospital after suffering a brain aneurysm last night. God, I hope he'll be okay.

10. Luke

Lance Cade dead at 29

From wrestlingedge.com:
    I thought when he first came on the scene in WWE he'd go on to acheive some great things. So sad to see someone go through such a rocky career...

RIP

11. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

RIP.

12. $pvcxGhxztCasey

It's weird how most of these deaths that involve ex-WWE employees always come after they're released. His past with drug addiction is no secret, and had a problem as late as this year. It's looking likely that this is probably due to drugs, like most wrestling deaths.

Lance Storm had a little blow-up about this whole situation, something to the effect of wishing people wouldn't put the blame on the WWE schedule, because it allows drug addicts to have an excuse or something.

13. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

It sucks what happen with Benoit. He was fucking great.
    Eddie was also awesome!

14. Joe

Yeah, I see what you're saying. It's such a shame there have been so many deaths over the last year and a half or so.

15. $pvcxGhxztCasey

It really does. Alot of people just focus on the murdering his family part, and rightfully so. But it's not like Benoit was JUST a drug user, his brain wasn't what it should have been, and it was mostly due to his profession. They might not have outright asked Benoit to jump off the top rope everynight and land on his head, or take chairshots unprected to the tip of the forehead, but it was most definately encouraged, and I don't think anyone can deny that. I think wrestling is even more of a bloodsport than MMA, especially due to it being fake. It demands alot more so the fans are kept in the dark as long as possible. You don't see UFC fighters dying all of the time, and when they do, it's mostly freak accidents or weird circumstances. Hello, Evan Tanner.

Something has to change, but unfortunately it won't. Not anytime soon, anyways.

16. danielakatoxic

danielakatoxic Active Member

Idk if it's been asked before, but how come wrestling and MMA are in the same thread? Wouldn't it be better if they were split?

17. Joe

We really don't get enough discussion for either to warrant separate threads. I guess they should be split, but most members here like both or neither. There's only like 5 of us total who like Wrestling & MMA.

18. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Oh look it's a Daniel.

Also, it's a Joe.

So about Strikeforce. Thoughts on the most recent show?

19. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'll go for the latter :lol:

20. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

MMA is the shit.

I'm not as hardcore into it as say, danielakatoxic or a few of my other friends, but I'm slowly getting into it and definitely enjoy watching the fights. Fuck wrestling (at least now that it's WWE), MMA is the new shit.