Writer's Cove

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Seinfeld, Feb 15, 2009.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

I personally think that writer's cove is a little...useless nowadays. I find it sad, to see 5-7 poems at a time with absolutely no comments at all, while poems made by older members (not trying to start THAT kind of discussion) are overloaded with comments.

I personally would welcome a rule that would help throttle the cove back to what it once was.

How 'bout every poet, that would like to post a poem, should give a few thoughtful words on one of the top three newest poems posted?

It would help most poets improve (if thoughtful critiques are given, and not just one word replies) and it would help liven up the whole poetic forum part thingy.

Thoughts?

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

Personally I see nothing wrong with Writers cove at the moment. While it is a shame that there is not much activity in the forum, there is little that can be done about it. I think that forcing people to post a comment before being able to post their own piece would result in comments which are utterly useless in terms of constructive criticism. I would rather have a sparse amount of proper comments rather than a swathe of complete bollocks.

Of course, this is but my opinion - others might agree. Put what you think and the rest of the team might think about changing it.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I agree with Nikki. Forcing people to comment before they can post their own work might be discouraging to those who are already hesitant to post in the first place. The only I way I see the Writer's Cove livening up is if we let it occur naturally. With that said, I'll make an effort to comment in the forum more often -- and possibly post some stuff myself -- because I do enjoy seeing people post creative things.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    Seinfeld

I personally don't post anymore, because I'm not sure whether people actually read them or not. A comment every once in a while would suffice, imo. If that person doesn't know what is wrong with the poem and just didn't like it, hey that's fine. If they have a whole load to dump on me, because of grammar and much more, then I'm fine with that as well. But I believe that no comments at all make Writers cove into a dump pile. A place where thoughts and emotions are deposited, without any interest from others what-so-ever.

Not a very poet-friendly place, to me.

But hey...I guess that's just me.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I used to post in there but stopped for the reasons stated above. But i'm down for trying to resurrect it. Once i'm at an actual computer i'll start posting pieces and comments proper.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't post anymore because of the lack of quality (a lot of pieces seem like they were written in five seconds) and because I don't get nearly as many comments as I used to on my pieces. If I see something worth commenting on, I will, but I'm not going to be charitable about it just because I'd like my stuff to get commented on. If no one wants to comment on it, then so be it. To ask them to isn't fair. Like Nikki said, they'd all take the piss just so their own stuff got comments.

Seinfeld

I see where you all are coming from, but seeing how you won't comment on pieces that suck, just because you don't want to, is your choice.

But why deprive them of getting comments, even if they are just comments, that say "this sucks", so that they may improve?

I see why people do comment on most of your pieces. It's because you're a good poet. But thos that aren't as advanced should at least be told, that they need to improve. I remember when I started out, you guys nicely told me, to improve and sometimes even told me how. Some of you even tore me apart, telling me my work sucked. In my own opinion, I've improved greatly since then and have found my own style, that I truely enjoy. All because I had comments, most no longer than 5 words.

I'm sorry, that I keep cutting into the discussion every 2 posts, but I mean...I'd really hate to see an idea like this dismissed, just because nobody was willing to even give it a shot.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I've been saying writers cove is dead for the past year now. Occasionally someone pops up with something good that people comment on but even then it'll always stay a one page thread.

Seinfeld

If that is everyone's consent, I'll drop it.

Minus

Well I'll be the first to admit that I also got lazy and stopped bothering to read the pieces there.

A lot of the pieces in the Writer's Cove requires thought, and I think after a long day of thinking, I'd rather just go into RT.

However, I did just go in there and read a few pieces. I enjoyed reading them, and will be commenting forthwith.

Seinfeld

Just don't overdo it, just because you feel you need to ;)

Minus

I'm not commenting just for the sake of posting. There have been a few that I've read so far that I felt I had nothing to contribute. I'm just posting anywhere I believe I may be of some use.

Will

I have absolutely no idea how to tell someone how to improve their writing, so I don't. If I don't like something, I'm not going to comment on it for the sake of commenting on it.

Seinfeld

Okay...that's your choice then...like I said before. But just saying whatever doesn't appeal to you is a great deal of help as well.

But if you don't feel like doing that, just don't...I mean...I'm not forcing anyone to...my suggestion in this thread was just a thought...and definately not something I planned on anyone doing exactly as I said...it was more of an example, so everyone would get an idea of what I meant.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

You know what I find funny and kinda messed up at the same time? When Will would post these little gems:

http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27930&highlight=The+Most+Serious+Poem

I loved every single one he's posted and it always made me laugh a lot, but it sucks when that gets more replies than a serious writing piece. Not hating on you Will. I'm just giving an example. :)

There are ways to spruce up Writer's Cove. Maybe we need the writing competition to begin again? Louis would always host those and I always thought those were fun. Thoughts?

Seinfeld

Good, maybe even great poetry is whatever stirs strong emotions no matter what kind. Will's great at doing that. So basically, I see nothing wrong with those little poems getting that much attention. Obviously, they are easier to understand than most pieces, but they pack quite a punch.

Will

I was going to mention how I hated how those pieces always got twice as many responses as some of my better pieces and the better pieces from some of the other members. But I don't think there's anything that can be done about getting people to comment on things. If they want to comment on it, they will, y'know? Asking them to isn't going to cause them to do it.

Seinfeld

I think asking for someone to read and / or crit a poem now and then, can't do any harm. I know from experience, that some even do so.

Of course I know, that asking that of a whole comunity is a bit much, but I guess I sort of set the bar too high to begin with.

Well...I personally believe, we've discussed all there's to discuss. And you can't blame anyone for trying. Though I see now, that it was an almost hopeless attempt at getting the smaller poets here some more attention (what with the commenting on 2 poems for every one you write, but what the hay.)

But seeing how this thread has lead to some poems getting a bit of attention, I guess I've achieved more than I could really ask for. :)

Thank you guys so very much for feedback on the idea.

Minus

It worked out pretty well I must say.

We definitely need to bring back the Writer's Cove to where it used to be, I used to love that place until I started getting no responses. :lol: But that's just me being selfish. Now I'm earnestly making an effort to read all the pieces for enjoyment purposes.

Seinfeld

One of the many reasons I started this thread. :lol: