Xbox One VS PS4

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Star Scream, Jun 19, 2013.

?

Xbox One or PS4

Poll closed Jul 29, 2013.
  1. Xbox One

29.0%
  2. PS4

71.0%
    Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

In your opinion what you think is better and why?

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I regret not getting a PS3 because of Naughty Dog. Uncharted and Last of Us? Yeah, fuck that shit. I'm ready, Naughty Dog. So ready.

Also, no DRM, PS+ is insane, $100 cheaper.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'm going for the PS4 because I find the features appealing to me. No DRM set up by Sony, a cheaper console that doesn't require the Playstation Camera, the ability to upgrade the hard-drive from the already huge 500GB hard-drive it comes with, plus I like the exclusive games better than what the Xbox One has to offer.

sotrix

sotrix @lplive

Xbox One for its exclusive games, media offerings and cloud features.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Judging from the Xbox One thread, yeah... this probably isn't going to end well. :lol:

For the time being I'm currently leaning heavily towards the PS4, though I'm not entirely ruling out the Xbox One. The PS4 just seems like the better deal for my personal tastes. I'm not into shooters these days and the media/TV/Kinect/sports/snap/Skype things don't appeal to me in the slightest because I will never use those features. And Sony get extra brownie points for their great support of the indie scene on top of their policies, which I believe are far more appealing than Xbox One's current policies. Sadly just about every exclusive Microsoft announced at E3 turned sour for me (most importantly games like Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3). So yeah, if I had to choose, the PS4 is my console of choice right now.

Juliet

Juliet Well-Known Member

I'll have to go with PS4 this time. The fact that you are forced to have an internet connection to play games, their policy on used games, and the fact that you have to have a camera in order to play the xbox 1 is completely ridiculous. The only games announced at E3 that are xbox exclusive that I care for was Halo, and Dead Rising 3. All the others are being released on both consoles, or on this current generation. Plus, I don't want the gubment watching me all da time. :lol: Just seems like Microsoft took what were their best attributes and completely destroyed them this time around.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Xbox One because I live in America, like all the integration, and have not just never been a part of the used games industry, but hated it.

Also, this:

[​IMG]

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Might as well call this thread the "Let's Shit On Xbox Thread."

Minus

The reasoning has been fairly rational for choosing PS4 over the X-Bone. Nobody so far has "shit on X-Box". Except for Microsoft themselves. They really could have turned this around at the E3 Press Conference but instead decided to go the route of "We know what's best for you" rather than sitting down and explaining, "Look, this is why we made the choices we made."

I'm sure the XBone will do okay. But that'll be at the insistence of the rabid fanboys rather than any sort of marketing by Microsoft to the actual gaming crowd.

To further elaborate on my reasoning for PS4, the "exclusives" of each system gives PS4 the advantage. Halo 4 was like Season 4 of Community. Very similar to Dan Harmon's showrunning in the first 3 seasons (of which he was absent for Season 4) but not quite right and nowhere near as good. Titanfall will be on PC. Destiny is multiplatform. KH3 and FFXV are multiplatform. MGSV is multiplatform.

PS4 will have inFamous, The Order: 1886, and NAUGHTY DOG GAMES. Also while Microsoft is giving out games like Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3 for free to X-Box Live users, PS+ users are getting Deus Ex: HUman Revolution, XCOM, Uncharted 3, and a laundry list more for free.

Hybrid

I see what you mean, Minus. I think what I'm most concerned, if that's the right word, about is that no one has yet to see what the features that everyone keeps complaining about on the XBO working in real-life. Who knows? Maybe it is revolutionary... I know I'm not going to be a "Day One" adapter, but it will be interesting, to me at least, to see how everything works together for the early adapters.

I have never owned a Playstation. None of their exclusives really caught my eye. Also, I've always disliked their controller and how it feels in my hands.

Too bad Nintendo doesn't have any good ideas for a console as of late. I miss the 64.

/random gaming thoughts.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

How the features in which everyone are complaining about work in real-life? You mean the constant internet connection? The Kinect requirement? The inability to simple lend others your game disc? Yeah, me neither ... (unless you're talking about something completely different? ...)

Don't rule out of the PS4 controller yet.

#64rocks

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I voted for PlayStation just because.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

:rolleyes:

Anyway

PS4

100$ Cheaper.
    Tons of indie support.
    Gaikai (across all devices) for backwards capability.
    (Think about that, potential for PS1, PS2, and PS3 games to work on Android, iOS, PC, and WP8.)
    Upgradable HDD (You can replace it with one that has a larger capacity.)
    No restricted used games sales.
    No restrictions on loaning games.
    No restrictions on renting games.
    No authentication check every 24 hours.
    No need to connect online (except for online games.)
    It's smaller, thus more compact.
    It's 50% more powerful.
    It's where all the JRPG's will live.
    PS+.
    Dualshock 4
    20 first party exclusive games in the first year.
    12 new IP's in the first year.
    Over 500 game developers (so far.)
    Sony says that it will be likely that most PS3 accessories or peripherals will work on PS4 excluding the DS4.
    All games (that do not use PSEye) will work on PSvita via remote play.

The company also seem like they've learned from past mistakes and the people seem to genuinely care about their customers.
    Mark Cerny, Andrew House, Adam Boyle, Shuhei Yoshida, Kazuo Hirai seem like people I can trust to give gaming experiences I'd like.

And let's not forget:

Evolution Studios
    Guerilla Games
    Sucker Punch
    SCE Japan
    Media Molecule
    Naughty Dog
    Polyphony Digital

and in case you missed it the first time, Naughty Dog.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    Minus

The persistent checking in was best summed up by a friend of mine who is the community manager of Robot Entertainment and a former employee of EA and Microsoft:

"Last summer I had a string of Internet outages. My lines were messed up and it took my provider months to sort it out. I'd have Internet for a few days, maybe a couple weeks, then it would inexplicably go out again for several days at a time. This went on for months before they finally dug up my whole yard to replace the lines entirely. If I had been on Xbox one, I'd have essentially had a string of several months where the games I bought were unplayable more often than they were playable because the console I also bought couldn't phone home to make sure that I, a standard, paying, law-abiding customer wasn't up to unsavory things."

Agreed on the controller. I use a 360 controller for my PC. But I'm also friends with the great Redbeard of Gamestop fame (He's from Dallas. It checks out.) and he's saying the PS4 controller is a VAST improvement from the PS3.

They don't need "good ideas" for a console. The Wii U has so much potential for amazing games (D&D. The touchscreen controller is for the DM) and aside from that, the only purpose of the Nintendo console is to be a platform for the amazing first-party games. People will by Nintendo because they KNOW that Zelda will only be on Nintendo. Or Mario. Or Donkey Kong. Et cetera.

EDIT: As someone (forgot who) very wisely put it, Nintendo gets around the "used games" issue by making games you would never sell.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I'll probably end up getting both eventually, but I'll definitely get the PS4 first. It's all about the games for me, and Sony's first party and second party games are usually top notch and more appealing to me. Plus it's cheaper. I couldn't care less about any of the other bullshit, ancillary features Microsoft and Sony try to peddle to consumers. I don't want an all-in-one media hub. I just want to play some games.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

The "restrictions" most people say are deal breakers for the One aren't really a huge deal for me. I like the exclusives better, and if I were to get a console my first choice would be the One.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

That'd be Reggie and I think Shigeru Miyamoto said something along those lines also.

I forgot to mention design. The PS4 is one sexy beast. Also it can be displayed vertically or horizontally, smaller, lighter, and has an internal PSU.

[thumb]http://uncrate.com/p/2013/06/sony-playstation-4-xl.jpg[/thumb]
    [thumb]http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/playstation-4-controller-sensor.jpg[/thumb]
    [thumb]http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ps4-back.jpg[/thumb]

Bonus video
    [video=youtube;Csr6ahk5RMg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Csr6ahk5RMg[/video]

And a Xbox One - All in One. video to be fair

[video=youtube;jNX576Dg07Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNX576Dg07Q[/video]

Minus

Multiple colorways for the PS4 needs to be a thing, by the way.

[thumb]http://i.imgur.com/0rzyA9H.jpg[/thumb]

Hybrid

So, I'm going to agree with you guys in saying that things like the internet check in thing sucks. They should increase the check in time to like once a week or month. The sharing games thing I could honsetly give not one fuck about. I've been a paying member for XBL for something like 8 or 9 years now and that is something I don't mind paying for. I didn't have a kinect before, but I don't mind having one. The whole idea of it or someone spying on you seems absurd to me. Also, with the price difference, the PSEYE or whatever the fuck they are calling the Playstation version of the Kinect is going to retail at or around $100$60. I am going to be a hard sell on the Playstation. Like I said before with the controller, if I don't like the way it feels in my hands, I won't like the console. That's why the Wii and I never got along. How the systems themselves look, it really doesn't matter to me how they look. As far as I'm concerned, the PS4 looks like a PS3 or a PS2, much like the Xbox One looks similar to the original Xbox.

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Holy crap. Someone start a PS4 modding community/company!