Your album of the day [CLOSED]

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by lime treacle, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Behemoth-TheSatanist.jpg

I hate to be repetitive but it's just so fucking good! In fact, I'm gonna call this the best metal record of the past 14 years. Talk about a magnum opus.

3. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

The Satanist is a great record, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.....
    [​IMG]
    I present you with this refutation.

4. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Opeth is okay. But Mikael Akerfeldt is the most overrated artist in all of heavy metal. There are better writers and artists better at infusing different genres into their music. Take Enslaved, Devin Townsend, and Septicflesh are examples of bands that do what Opeth does but at the next level. Their (IMO) better writers and have a wider range (well, septicflesh may not have a wider range but they still do a better job of mixing genre).

5. Gibs

[​IMG]

First listen. Damn.

6. Gibs

I personally (somewhat) disagree. Though those artists might blend different genres better, Opeth songs (especially their older material) really hits me down in my core. A great example is from Still Life, The Moor, the opening track, is an absolutely shattering song. It's so damn angy, evil, and demented, while being dark, gloomy and really depressing. The song gives me the chills every time I listen to it. It's such a superbly written song, as is the rest of Still Life.

Opeth is great, and so isMikael Akerfeldt. I completely disagree on the point that he's overrated. Opinions are opinions though.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  7. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Those words have never been uttered on the internet before. This is a moment in history.

I'm just one to connect with something more like The Satanist than Opeth-esque folk metal.

8. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

^What'd you think of Year Zero? My favorite personally.

[​IMG]

10. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I will never understand the love for Year Zero on this site. The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, and With Teeth are so much graceful. Whenever I listen to them they commanx my full attention start to end. Year Zero does not.

11. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Code:

^ I dunno. Personnaly, Year Zero has a particular soundscape that I enjoy a lot. The more electronic/noisy-centered approach makes it stand out from older NIN releases, while at the same time, it's still as dark and agressive and haunting. The conceptual thing is pretty cool too.

The Slip is the only NIN release that doesn't click with me. Well, I enjoy it, but not as much a the rest.

12. Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

@Filip, it took me a while to get used to, but I eventually did. I can only listen to it as an album though, except maybe 3-4 tracks!
    It's a pretty good record, great concept. Certainly not his best though. I totally love all the Industrial/Noise elements on the album, especially the last half of "The Great Destroyer"
    Overall, I'd rate it as my 2nd least favorite from NIN, behind Pretty Hate Machine. (Always hated the last 3 tracks of Pretty Hate Machine, up until there, it's perfect.)

@Pidgeon, I guess it's more directed towards the Noise music fans, because all the noise sections in the tracks that have them are pretty darn interesting, to me at least.

@Qwerty21, I love The Slip. In fact, quite a few of the tracks on it are my favorites. Only track I don't enjoy is Demon Seed. Too good to be a free album. :D

Anyway, today's album :

[​IMG]

Pretty awesome! :D I swear, at times I think Burial is Thom Yorke.

@Gibleson, how'd you like Kid A?

13. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Cannibal_Corpse_-_The_Wretched_Spawn_Censored_Front.jpg

Thought I would keep it nice and easy today.

14. Gibs

I really, really enjoyed it. I like it, but not to the extent of the critical acclaim it garners. Tracks like Everything In Its Right Place, How To Disappear Completely and , Treefingers are just brilliant, while tracks like Kid A and The National Anthem, while good, are a little too abstract for me. I still enjoy them though, especially Kid A.

Like I said, I'll need to let this one sink in.

This was my first Radiohead album. I'm probably going for Ok Computer next.

15. Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

Kid A was my first Radiohead album too. :lol:
    And I found it weird at first listen, but something kept making me go back to it. And every time I listened to it after that, I kept discovering new elements, as it finally completely sank in after about 3-4 listens.

16. RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

The Fragile just doesn't hold up for me. There's a really good album in there after you trudge through all the filler. It definitely could have used some trimming. Year Zero, on the other hand, works so much more for me because it's sharper and more focused. The beats are just so abrasive and nasty. You can definitely hear the Bomb Squad influence that Trent talked about when the album came out. Plus, Trent's lyrics have always been his weak point, and hearing him repeatedly go back to the same tropes got old years ago. So much so that it even made lyrics based on a pretty trite dystopian-future concept sound refreshing.

Aaaaaanyway:

[​IMG]

18. Gibs

[​IMG]

Rage's first release, their demo album. Almost prefer it to the first LP.

19. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I disagree about the filler. The only thing I dislike about Fragile is how "No You Don't" and "Starfucker" throw off the flow, otherwise its probably my favorite album, period. Its such an experience. With Year Zero, Its not the story. I think the story is great. I guess I just don't like the way its presented. I don't like the attitude of it.

Anways, just another chill night...

Exuding+Anal+Pustule+of+Society+Cover.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  20. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I agree about the fillers. The Fragile really has some of my favorite NIN tracks, even probably my favorite, ''Somewhat Damaged''. I feel like if you kicked out a few songs that don't really pick up, you could get a 60 minute album that's fast, heavy, merciless from the beginning to the end. And that's what I feel NIN never made. An album that never goes calm, atmospheric. ''Year Zero'', ''The Slip'', ''The Downward Spiral'', while I love them all, I'll admit they all drag a bit through the second half. Especially ''The Slip''. It could have went without ''Corona Radiata'' and ''The Four of Us are Dying''. With that said, one last comment about ''The Fragile'' - Left > Right.

EDIT: Forgot about ''Survivalism''. That's my favorite NIN track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.