Your Fav. 3 Guitarists!

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Methybrea, Jan 6, 2004.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

1. John Petrucci (DREAM THEATER) - Of course, this is the 'given' one on my list. Its just that its amazing not only that he can play fast; its that his solos aren't just your 'up and down the scale' type of chops! His riffs are awesome, take a look at 'In The Name of God' or 'Lie'! Acoustics are less abundant from him, but he has his fair share. His acoustic arpeggios on 'A Change of Seasons' are captivating! Just an all around great guitarist, and from what I've heard he's a great guy!

2. Michael Romeo (SYMPHONY X) - Of late he has been challenging Mr. Petrucci for top spot on my list, and I'll tell you why. While his more of a Malmsteen-type shredder as far as solos go, he makes up for this with his unique, energetic guitar work and making some of the greatest guitar riffs. He is also one of the most humble guitarists despite his talent. He has done some amazing acoustic parts, eg. The Odyssey, Candlelight Fantasia, and the Accolade. Getting back to his solos: most of his solos are really well done, only a few become pointless shred solos! LOL he probably the only 'overweight' guitarists I've heard of! I don't know how he can move those sausage fingers so fast! :lol:

3. Peter Lindgren[lead]/Mikael Akerfeldt (OPETH) - I can't really do one without the other. They are the best guitar duo since Hammet/Hetfield and they have produced some of the most aggressive (Blackwater Park, The Leper Affinity), evil (DEMON OF THE FALL, Master's Apprentices), and gloomy (A Fair Judgement) riffs of all time! Not to mention their slick acoustic guitar work. Check out their opus 'Black Rose Immortal' for some of the most beautiful acoustic moments ever. Peter's solos are restrained (not shredding) and really suit the song. Check out 'A Fair Judgement' for one of his best solos).

Honourable Mentions: Steve Wilson, Porcupine Tree; the dude from Pain of Salvation; John Frusciante, Red Hot Chilli Peppers; Steve Vai; David Gilmour, Pink Floyd; Daron Malakian, SOAD.

1. Kirk Hammet (Metallica) - Metallica has some of the most awesome guitar solos. Just listen to "Fade to Black" and "Welcome Home". The guitar work is outstanding in those tracks.

2. Truby (P.O.D.) - I pretty much fell in love with P.O.D.'s guitarist after "Eternal". That song is just sweet! :p

3. Jade Puget (AFI) - I love everything about AFI so this is a must. The guitars in "Sing the Sorrow", "Art of Drowning" and "Black Sails In The Sunset" is breath taking.

@ Odaton: Symphony X is amazing! 'Of Sins and Shadows' is such an awesome track. (w00t) *blown away*

Methybrea

:shifty: lol I knew you would like them. Download some more stuff! :D

Albums by them in order:
    1. The Odyssey
    2. The Divine Wings of Tragedy (album feat. 'Of Sins and Shadows')
    3. V: The Mythology Suite
    4. Twilight In Olympus
    5. The Damnation Game
    6. Symphony X

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

1.) Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
    2.) Jimmy Page (Led Zepplin)
    3.) Slash (Guns N Roses)

All 3 blow me away with their skillful guitar playing. Just AMAZING.

Methybrea

Good choices Rad. Dreamer and EastCoastPunk!

Yeah, Jimmy Page...shoulda put him on there!

Love Hammett too, some really neat solos I agree! Jade is great, he has a very unique style.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

what CD is, Of Sins and Shadows, on?

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Phil Keaggy was the guy on that track, I think. I'm not sure if it was Truby or not, but I think it was Keaggy.

01) James Black (Finger Eleven) - One of the more inventive guitarists that I listen to. It's all crazy, panicked and amazing!

02) Sean Anderson (Finger Eleven) - This guy is amazing on bass. Again, very inventive.

03) Mike Sarkisyan (Spineshank) - Mike plays all out and has very memorable riffs. Especially on S-DP.

Hybrid_Bunny

Hybrid_Bunny Super Member LPA Super Member

In no specific order, these are the good guitar players I like.

Billy Corgan (The Smashing Pumpkins)
    Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave)
    Wes Borland (limpbizkit..ehh..i still think he rocks)
    Adam Jones (Tool)
    Ben Moody (Evanescence)
    Billy Howerdel (A Perfect Circle)
    Jonny Greenwood and Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
    Jack White (The White Stripes)

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

01. Kirk Hammit - and I don't even like Metallica...
    02. Jade Puget - it was when he joined AFI that their music went from generic hardcore to the darker more melodic sound they have today...
    03. Jimmy Page - um, duh?...
    04. Tim Armstrong and Lars Fredrickson - I put them together because I can't tell who's playing what. They're both great...

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Phil Keaggy was the guy on that track, I think. I'm not sure if it was Truby or not, but I think it was Keaggy. [/b][/quote]
    I'm pretty sure that it was Jason the acoustic guitar and Phil on the electric. Nonetheless, they're both very good at what they play.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Indeed. Both of them play on "Eternal." Phil also plays the bridge on "Revolution," so the guitar on "Eternal" that sounds most like the guitar on "Revolution" is Phil. Truby and Phil are amazing.

01. Mike DeWolf/Stephen Richards (Taproot)... I think Taproot has one of the most original guitar sounds ever. I've never heard another guitar that sounds like it. It's amazing, and a lot of the riffs are just f*cking amazing, no matter how simple they might be.

02. Truby (P.O.D., Living Sacrifice)... I love Truby's guitar work on P.O.D.'s new album. A lot of people say it's softer than Satellite, but it's definitely heavier. It's just that the songs aren't as long and Sonny doesn't do any of his hardcore rapping from previous albums, so it makes it seem softer. Truby was also amazing in Living Sacrifice.

03. Chad Kroeger/Ryan Peake (Nickelback)... I love the guitar work on Nickelback's albums. It might not be the best, but I absolutely love it. They can go from playing nice, slow, softer songs ("How You Remind Me," "Someday") to really fast songs ("Flat On The Floor") to really heavy songs ("Never Again," "Because Of You"). I think they're amazing.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

I agree with that...whenever I hear Nickelback I always think, "Hey, the guitar sounds good..." Even if I don't like the song.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

1. Wes Borland - His musical style is so different, and he has created some awesome guitar tracks, you try and get someone who can play boiler ;) take a look around is also the coolest song ever

i cant really think of a 2nd and 3rd right now, i`ll edit this

Methybrea

Symphony X - 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy'

Tony

Tony war in your bedroom.

lol, I think it is James Black, not Jack Black...

withnoapologies

withnoapologies Well-Known Member

how shocking! :angry: its JAMES Black. and yes, he is amazing.... i love how he plays.... it looks so cool!! :teehee: .... not to mention that hes good at it too :D when i see finger eleven in concert.... im gonna jump on the stage, kid nap him and force him to teach me to play!

Jon Mooring

Jon Mooring New Member

1. Jimi Hendrix
    2. Billy Howerdel of A Perfect Circle
    3. Adam Jones of Tool

Jimi Hendrix... I don't even need to explain why he is #1.

Billy Howerdel is simply genius with a guitar. Just listen to the A Perfect Circle CDs and you will see what I mean.

Adam Jones is an insane guitar player when it comes to thinking up good riffs and solos. Tool is an awesome band and is built around Adam.

Trish

Trish Y2K LPA VIP

1.Yngwie Maalmstein
    2.John Le Compt
    3.Gary Moore

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

that guy from Queen
    Wes Borland
    James Hetfield

no explenations :p

Methybrea