Your favorite Nine Inch Nails studio album?

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by mcpancakes, Jun 15, 2007.

?

Favorite NiN album?

1. Pretty Hate Machine

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Broken

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Downward Spiral

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. The Fragile

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. With Teeth

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Year Zero

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
    $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

For a 'Nails record, it doesn't deliver. If it was by any other band, it would have been solid. Just like PHM, it doesn't feel like a NIN album. Just...radio rock with Reznor singing.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I agree, With Teeth is just not at the same standard as previous NIN work. But perhaps that's the combination of releasing albums 6 years apart and Trent becoming sober. Tough to recuperate from that. I still feel there's bright spots on the album ("Right Where It Belongs", "All The Love In The World", "Beside You In Time"), though.

Of course Hellflame, for some there is the typical getting-used-to stage of works like The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, so listen with an open mind and give it more than one chance. It goes from noisy to quiet all over the board, then gets downright out-of-the-ordinary at some points, but power through it.

Still is a masterpiece album. And it is a studio album. It's new songs plus new takes on older songs that were recorded in studio. "Something I Can Never Have (Still)" is my favorite song of all time, and songs like "Leaving Hope" are just haunting as hell.

Pretty Hate Machine is probably their least complete album, but it does have some gems like "Terrible Lie", "Head Like A Hole", "Something I Can Never Have" and "Sin". But Casey is right: it is dated.

The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, and Year Zero are all works of art in their own rights. Definite can't-misses.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

There's definately some gems on With Teeth, but there's gems on Pretty Hate Machine too. Doesn't change the fact that one is dated and the other isn't in the NIN style of things. :p But yeah, Mark basically hit the nail on the head. "Year Zero", for me atleast, is the perfect combination of the classic NIN style and something new thrown in.

If you're looking for companion albums that are good, I highly suggest Further Down The Spiral. Depending on my mood, sometimes it ranks higher than the album that all of the songs originated on (The Downward Spiral).

mcpancakes

mcpancakes Well-Known Member

this is the Still you're talking about, right? kind of odd I think to include a disc with new music in a package with a live album.

Mark

Nonetheless, it's still a studio album that was packaged with the DVD because of its length (9 tracks). Don't think of it as a bonus disc, but rather a companion cd.

NIN fans consider it a studio album, so that's how we see it.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

It was packed with the CD deluxe edition of And All That Could Have Been too, if I'm not mistaken.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

The Fragile. Easily.
    As great as Year Zero may be, it hasn't got anything on The Fragile. Its nothing short of a perfect work of art.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Plus, the greatest NIN song ever is on it - And All That Could Have Been.

So yeah, get Still if you can people. :)

Harlz

True. I love that song. Trents masterpiece.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

People have got to stop saying "Pretty Hate Machine/With Teeth sound different from most of NIN's work, so they are bad!". Bands should be able to experiment and such. If a CD is good, it shouldn't matter that it is different.

Mark

Certain albums lose their relevance after time. PHM was made 17 years ago. It sounds dated, and when compared to it's next two major follow-ups, it doesn't measure up to them.

With Teeth was the most watered down NIN album by far. Very radio friendly and not up to par with Trent's previous work. Trent has said before he was really cautious when making this album, and it suffered as a result.

You're taking what we're saying the wrong way.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Well Pretty Hate Machine is better than Year Zero in my opinion

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

To me, PHM doesn't really sound dated and has some of my favourite NIN songs on it. People just seemed to say "It's good, but it isn't NIN", which seemed to be kind of preventing NIN from growing and expanding, that's all.

Harlz

I don't find PHM dated at all.
    But yea, With Teeth is definately their worst album (not that its bad)

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

I'd say it's a three way tie between The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, and Still.

Simply because all three albums evoke such emotion, the composition of the pieces are magnificent, not to mention the sheer diversity these three sequential releases demonstrate.

The Downward Spiral for the obvious; his magnus opus. His documentation of his degression into dependency and despair.

The Fragile; the subsequent accounts of his struggle with the dependency mentioned in TDS, and how he comes to terms with himself.

Still; the continuation and final moments of his depression and addiction before the 5 year hiatus for recovery prior to W_T

I think people don't like PHM or YZ because it doesn't exactly show the talent and emotional impact that TDS,TF, and Still show. W_T just finished off with his reentry into the world as a sober being, which probably led to more people not liking him sober ("zomfgzz he liek, writs beterr when hez on t3h smackzzz")

Harlz

I hate people who say they preferred him before he went sober. Its really inconsiderate of Trent, and shows a real lack of respect for his talents.

As if getting over your problems is a bad thing.

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

My vote would go with 'Broken', except it's just too short. They are all great tracks, except their are only like 6 out of the 8 tracks which I could call songs, the other 2 are just kinda filler.

If 'Broken' lasted a little longer, it'd have my vote. But as it doesn't I'll have to say my vote lies with either 'The Downward Spiral' and 'The Fragile' I'm tied to call either one my favorite of the two, though.

mcpancakes

mcpancakes Well-Known Member

yeah so I got The Downward Spiral DVD-A yesterday and its pretty interesting. the beginning to "Mr. Self Destruct" was kind of a shocker, lol. oh and I finally realized where I've heard the repeated notes played on the guitar in "The Downward Spiral", they're also at the end of "Closer". I'm sure all of you noticed that too, now I feel stupid. the weirdest line of a song would probably be "I want to fuck everyone in the world." Forgot which song that is. its one of the tracks from 6-9. anyways, my favorite tracks so far are Mr. Self Destruct, Piggy, Closer, The Downward Spiral, and Hurt.

edit: oh and the "Closer" music video has got to be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

The Downward Spiral FTW! :p

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

Thus my sarcasm in the part you quoted.

What was shocking about the intro to Mr. Self Destruct is that LP ripped it off for the intro into Don't Stay on Meteora.

the keyboard solo is the hook to "the only time" off of that "dated" pretty hate machine.

i'm getting a headache with all of these quotes.