Your five favorite albums of all time

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Will, May 16, 2008.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I know we've had lots of threads like this one before but it never hurts to make a new one every so often because of the influx of new members (and by "influx" I really just mean "couple" -- so "because of the couple of new members"). List your five favorite albums of all time and no more than that. It defeats the purpose if you list twenty albums when this is a top five list.

1. Funeral for a Friend's Casually Dressed & Deep in Conversation
    This has been my all-time favorite album from the moment I first heard it. There isn't a single moment on this album that I don't enjoy. I can listen to it multiple times in one day and not get bored of this album. I think it's also an excellent driving record -- I can't even count the number of times I've just driven around listening to this album, sometimes multiple times in a row. It's just that good.

2. 30 Seconds to Mars' 30 Seconds to Mars
    Half the world hasn't even heard of this album and that's a shame because for as good as A Beautiful Lie was, 30 Seconds to Mars' debut album is one of the best I've ever heard. Jared Leto's craftsmanship he put into these songs is as respectable as any I can think of, and the composition is even better. The lyrics are amazing and really make you look at them a couple times to get the story out of them -- something their most recent album lacked.

3. Lostprophets' Start Something
    The first song I heard was "Last Train Home" but I didn't think much of it, thinking it was just another "stupid punk band" (this was during my "I hate punk" phase -- I'm sure some of you remember). But after giving this album its merit and listens, it's safely among my top five. I love all the songs and this is also a great, great driving record.

4. Underoath's (They're Only Chasing Safety)
    This was the first "hardcore" record I ever heard and it changed my life. From the opening moments of "Young and Aspiring" to the closing notes of "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape," I'm engulfed in the amazing atmosphere that they created with this album -- something I don't think they'll ever achieve again. It's a good driving album, too. This record got me through a lot and would be No. 1 if it weren't for the three before it.

5. Taylor Swift's Taylor Swift
    After hearing this album for the first time, I thought my ears were broken. I couldn't figure out why I was enjoying this album -- a country album. But I put all that aside (and I've since gotten into country a little bit) and listened more and more and more and more and fell more in love with it (and maybe Taylor herself, too). All the songs are perfect and I feel as though I'm on the verge of tears during half of them (I've got no idea why, really). It's a great album.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

1. The smashing pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinate Sadness
    This album has been my favorite album ever since I heard it for the first time. It's a rollercoaster of emotions and it's amazing. It gives me nostalgia feelings of my youth everytime I listen to it.

2. Live - Throwing Copper
    It's violent, it's angry, it's intense but it's also moving. This album is full of personal songs and you should give it a listen if you haven't already.

3. Coldplay - Parachutes
    This album is the best debut album ever in my opinion. It's like a good intense dream, I can't describe it differently.

4. The smashing pumpkins - Adore
    This is quite a heavy album to take, romantic and dramatic moods. I think this is the kind of album you love or you hate. I have nothing else to say actually.

5. Kylie Minogue - X
    Pure pop, mixed with electronica, disco and other happy tunes. Obviously, it's very girly though some guys might hop to it as well (Maxime :lol:). It's a fantastic come back album.

As you can see, I'm not good at describing things. :lol:

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Im not gonna decribe im just going to list
    1) Meteora By Linkin park
    2) Beautiful Lie by 30 Seconds to Mars
    3) Vol 3 (Subliminal Verses) by Slipknot
    4) Eminem Show by Eminem
    5) The Rising Tied by Fort Minor

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I would probably change this list every day, but here it goes.

1).Deftones - Around The Fur
    I kind of dance between this album and White Pony as my favorite ever, but I settled on Around The Fur as it was one of the first albums I fell in love with. The nostalgia, plus great songs does it for me.

2).Radiohead - OK Computer
    Another album I fell in love with when I first started getting into music (also released in 1997, oddly enough). Not really much to be said about it that hasn't already been said a million times.

3).Weezer - Pinkerton
    Another case where I'm not sure which of the bands albums I like more (this one, or the blue album). Pinkerton has the edge in being their sleeper hit. The album of songs that wasn't spoiled by constant radio rotation. It's short and doesn't overstay its welcome, which fits this type of music like a glove.

4).Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
    All of their albums are solid, but this is still their crowning achievement, imo.
    So many classic songs that I never get tired of listening to.

5).Faith No More - Angel Dust
    Despite being released in 1992, Angel Dust still sounds fresh to this day. One of the most unique bands I've ever come across, but their quirkiness never got in the way of good songwriting. Plus the special addition has a perfect cover of The Commodores "Easy". How fucking cool is that? :lol:

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

01. Muse - Origin of Symmetry
    This album cemented Muse as my favourite band ever. It's a ridiculously energetic, brilliantly crafted album which shows off the immense talent of all of the band's members.

02. Nine Inch Nails - Still

Raw, emotional. "And All That Could Have Been", along with the versions of "Something I Can Never Have" and "The Day The World Went Away", and the rest of the album (including the fantastic instrumental "Leaving Hope") make this a classic.

03. Cold - Year of the Spider

I've always loved this album. It's fantastic start-to-finish and has some of the best lyrics of any album I've heard.

04. Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace

My favourite from last year: ESPG is filled with memorable climaxes in songs like "Come Alive", "But Honestly", "The Pretender", and "Let It Die" and all-in-all is one of the more solid albums I've heard.

05. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
    Well, this album has classic written all over it, doesn't it? I can't believe this band made this album at such a young age. Not much needs to be said about this album that hasn't already been said.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

01. Saosin - Translating The Name EP
    This may just be Their First EP but Every song on it is amazing to me. the lyrics are my favorite, and the guitar and drums are excellent.

02. Circa Survive - On Letting Go

Anthony Green is my favorite vocalist/lyricist and this album blows me away every listen. Brendan and Collin;s guitars are phenomenal, Nick's bass soothes the mood and the drums flow nicely. Each song helpsme feel better no matter how I am feeling, I can also listen to it in any mood.

03. Saosin - Saosin
    The guitars have had a big improvement since TTN and Cove's vocals are amazing on this album. With songs like Bury Your Head, Let Go Control, Voices ETC. Each song stuck with me After I bought the album. And it was well worth it, As these guys are my favorite band as a group.

04. Zolof The Rock & Roll Destroyer - Self titled EP
    I love how fun this EP is. Each song is just a blast to listen to, Anthony Green's vocals are definitely a step back in time. And each song is "spunky"

05. My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
    I had always liked MCR when I started listening to Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge, But I didn't like all their stuff, but THIS album I absolutely loved; every song on it, and many songs lyrically had an impact on me that I loved.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
    Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

The Prodigy - Fat Of The Land
    Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill
    Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
    Muse - Origin Of Symmetry
    Gazette - NIL

Only a list, because I fail at describing :lol: But yes, all those albums kick ass.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

These are definitely subject to change, in a day, a minute or an hour, or a year.

1. Green Day - Dookie
    This album is definitely very important to me, it helped me open my eyes up to other styles of music, it helped me when I was feeling down, and it's just really fucking good.

2. DEMON HUNTER bring The Tryptic
    Heavy Metal band, that writes very good songs, doesn't matter that they're Christian band. The music is awesome.

3. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory -
    First thought when I heard this band was WOW! They were totally unique and sounded like nothing else out there.

4. Asian Kung Fu Generation - Kimi Tsunagi 5 M
    Really awesome album, very energetic, raw emotion, and just the sense of tearing everything you can out, being who you are, and not caring what others think, with stories of love and pain and sadness

5. As I Lay Dying - Frail Words Collaspe
    Just, I dunno. These album brings back memories.. when my life was falling apart and I needed something to hold onto.. this album was there. Was the first Christian band that didn't expect me to be perfect, and didn't pretend that they were.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm sorry but there isn't a cat's chance in hell that I can keep it to five.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

1. Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory
    This album is the reason we're here, discussing music. Trends in hard rock shifted with HT. This album conquered the rap-metal genre and was the harbinger of the screamo era to come. An intuitive rapper and the best singer/screamer of our generation come together, and somehow write some of the catchiest and well-crafted songs we had heard in a long time. It had energy. It showed promise. For me, it brings together the genres that I love and creates the perfect amalgamation. HT takes you on a journey from the first beats of "Papercut". From there, it brings you some of the greats: "One Step Closer", "Points of Authority", "Crawling", "In the End", along with songs that keep your heart pumping. It ends with the ominous synthetic DJ creation, "Cure for the Itch", and finally the dramatic and powerful, "Pushing Me Away". Get some.

2. AFI- Sing the Sorrow
    This album is musical artistry at its greatest. The intensity and power of AFI is finally harnessed on a well-produced album. "Miseria Cantare-The Beginning" perfectly begins the dark and angry journey into the soul of Davy Havok. He sings, "Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all. Radiate, recognize one silent call as we all form one dark flame." The lyrics are fantasic, and the album tells the story of Davy, who cannot reincarnate because he was born in the Year of the Rabbit. Thus, his journey is over. His misery is exemplified by some of the final lines of the album: "There are no flowers, no, not this time. There will be no angels walking the aisles, just these stark words I find." Simply beautiful.

3. Brand New- Deja Entendu
    I have rediscovered the true greatness of this album just in the last few days. The lyrics are poetic and smart, the songs are terribly catchy, and the energy level takes you from high to low over and over again. "Sic Transit Gloria- Glory Fades" has so much meaning behind it and is a great song. "Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't" is one of the greatest songs of all time, and is the best diss song in the Brand New-Taking Back Sunday ongoing feud.

4. The Used- The Used
    Bert McCracken screams the pain of his addiction and poverty. This is real emotion. Real anger, real pain, real agony. I doubt The Used will ever feel as used as they did when they wrote these gems, which makes this album a legend.

5. Linkin Park- Minutes to Midnight
    Many great albums came out last year. Lovehatehero's White Lies screamed and growled and soloed sweet nothings through my eardrums. My buddies in National Product wrote some powerful and catchy tunes for Luna. Yet these two young bands couldn 't match the legend, Linkin Park. Although Linkin Park didn't bring the constant influx of single-capable energy, but brought an emotional and dramatic album that I can't stop singing along to. They perfected their old sound with "Given Up" and "Bleed It Out", but then brought us some classics that we didn't think were capable of LP. Hopefully they go up from here.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

No order, since I'm lazy. I tend to chop and change a lot, but this is pretty much a definitive list for me.

Avenged Sevenfold - Waking The Fallen
    Probably my favourite metal album of all time. I Won't See You Tonight (Parts 1 & 2), Second Heartbeat, Chapter Four and of course, Unholy Confessions. Amazing album.

My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
    Alright, I know it's a hell of a lot more cliched and far easier to rip on than The Black Parade, but it's still easily my favourite My Chem album. I'm Not Okay, while admittedly a little divisive, is a pop gem. And Thank You For The Venom is just plain awesome. Love it.

Killswitch Engage - Alive Or Just Breathing
    Jesse Leach. 'Nuff said.

Protest The Hero - Kezia
    I honestly can't think of any major label debut as good as this. Great individual songs, not to mention the fact it's a sprawling multi part concept. Fantastic drumming, and Tim and Luke are two of the best guitarists in any 'new' band, period (bar maybe AJ from The Human Abstract).

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree/Take This To Your Grave
    Alright, a bit of a cop out, but I honestly can't pick between the two. Both are absolute pop-punk gems. I won't bother to list all the songs I love, but these probably are the catchiest albums I own.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The Offspring - Ignition
    Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
    Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
    Billy Talent - II
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

heshboy

heshboy Well-Known Member

5. Rebelution - Courage to Grow

4. Deftones - Around The Fur

3. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

2. Rage Against The Machine - S/t

1. Deftones - White Pony

Songs to check out if 1st listen on White Pony are "Digital Bath" "Street Carp" "Elite" "Knife Prty" "Korea" "Change" and "Pink Maggit"

There is no other vocalist on earth who can do what Chino does.

If I did a top ten all of Deftones albums would be on it :)

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

Saw them twice in the last three months... I'm pumped someone on here recognizes their bombness!

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

1. Hysteria - Def Leppard
    I was 6 or 7 when I first heard this album, and it was pretty much unlike anything I'd ever heard. I think this is the main reason I listen to what I listen to at the moment. It's also the first hard copy of an album I've gotten in about 3 years.

2. American Idiot - Green Day
    Green Day has been one of my favorite bands for years, since I was young, and American Idiot is just another reason for me to love them. This album is pretty much the main reason I picked up a guitar to start learning in the first place. Believe it or not, most of the songs actually kinda applied to my life, or my views.

3. Purple Rain - Prince and The Revolution
    It wasn't till last year that I heard this, but seriously, this album's been the one thing that I can listen to non-stop no matter what mood I'm in. There's not much to say about it other than that it's great.

4. With Teeth - Nine Inch Nails
    The instant I turned this album on, I was hooked. I don't think there's been one album I've ever heard that I've loved each song on the first time I heard it. The only reason it's not at the top of my list is because the others have had time to gain my favor. It's still an amazing album though.

5. Guero - Beck
    I can't say much about this album other than that it's kickass, and deserves much praise. It's perfect for getting yourself into a better mood. Part of why I love it is because whenever I turn it on, there's no way I'm not going to smile.

heshboy

heshboy Well-Known Member

I'm going on the 31st of this month to see them in San Diego. They are ill as fuck.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

1. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
    I still think that HT is the best album to be released in this century. 8 years on there have been many strong album releases but even still it just seems that none of them can compare to HT. To be honest I think that unless LP somehow do the unthinkable and manage to top Hybrid Theory, this album will always be my favourite album.

2. Trivium - Ascendancy
    I've said it time and time again that this is probably the best metal album in existance (atleast from my personal perspective). Every song just seems to have an amazing energy to it and the instrumental work is second to none. I remember back when I was 14 and I saw the Like Light To The Flies video and heard the band for the first time and was amazed. This album actually opened the door to screaming bands for me as I hadn't been much of a fan before.

3. Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish And The Hotdog Flavoured Water
    I don't care if I'm ripped for having this in my list. I think this is one of the greatest albums ever made simply because it's so diverse. Like Linkin Park there's just so many elements of music thrown into this album but what’s more there's a mixture of so many emotions to identify. It's probably the most popish rock album you'll find but this was my first ever favourite album and Limp Bizkit were my first ever favourite band and just because the band are in slight turmoil, what with Fred Durst being an utter pillock and Wes Borland having left, I'm not gonna forget that this is the band that got me into Rock music back when I was 11.

4. Falling Up - Captiva
    This album is full of simply amazing songs. I could listen to it over and over again and it would keep it's lasting appeal. Some of the songs are so powerful and beautiful that they are actually capable of making one feel emotional. I think that this band should be a hell of a lot more well known than they are. It's insulting to think that others gain more success for possessing a fraction of the talent that bands such as Falling Up have.

5. Green Day - American Idiot

Green Day seem to have lost alot of creadibility among music fans after releasing this album however I'm at odds as to why that is. The band might not be as punk-rock as they were on previous albums but in all honesty this album is an ideal demonstration of the evolution of music - the band have taken the punk themes and ethics and blended it with alternative pop rock and have succeeded in creating an amazing album. It's so weird to think that had the demos of the songs that were originally meant to be on this album not been stolen then it probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the success it got when it was released.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Hybrid Theory was not released in this century :p

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

2000. Technically not, but it still begins with a "200", so for the sake of 2 months I guess we can let it slide.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

#01 of all time (for me anyways).. Linkin Park // Hybrid Theory

[​IMG]

all twelve tracks are flawess IMO

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lostprophets // thefakesoundofprogress

[​IMG]

this album had me hooked on the very first listen (+ they are British!!)

Lupe Fiasco // Food and Liquor

[​IMG]

the guy is a god. he is something special.. just like this album

MuteMath // MuteMath

[​IMG]

the best live show i have ever seen.. by far, their cd is top knotch too!

Dizzee Rascal // Maths and English

[​IMG]

Mr Dizzee Rascal is a lyrical genius, similar to Lupe, but this guy is at the top of the UK 'grime' scene

Incubus // Morning View

[​IMG]

again.. after my first listen i was hooked. amazing, if you ask my honest opinion​

honorable mentions:

Nelly Furtardo // Loose
    Jay-Z // The Black Album
    Linkin Park // Minutes To Midnight
    Paramore // Riot
    Pendulum // Hold Your Colour
    Story Of The Year // Page Avenue
    The Streets // Original Pirate Material
    Abandon Pools // Humanistics
    Biffy Clyro // Puzzle
    Bloc Party // Silent Alarm

Last edited: May 18, 2008