Your own bands

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Seinfeld, Jul 9, 2006.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'm trying to learn guitar as well. Not faring as well as I would like to.

a life in ashes

a life in ashes mercury summer

I'm singer for a band. we haven't got a name although we're leaning towards Scripted Existance. we've got about songs and a cover done.

We just alt rock/metal with random funk breakdowns for good measure.

once we have a myspace and some stuff recorded i'll let people know.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I guess you just have to give up on it for some time than pick your guitar up again or something... or just be talented. :lol:

@a life in ashes: sounds cool! is kinda like RATM's style ?

Minus

So the deal is I'm going to play viola for Aubrey, but I don't have a quality instrument with me. Alls I got access to is my sister's high school viola... which is obviously not the right size and quality for performances. The guy in charge of the band (and, coincidentally, the one who owns the studio) is willing to rent a quality one in his name and cover the first two months of rent. So that's it. I just need to know when the first performance is.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I just recently put up a cover of Fort Minor's "Where'd You Go?" on my myspace.

EDIT: The reason why it's the clean version is because parents and younger kids go on there, and I don't usually swear in my music just to keep it clean for all ages.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
    Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm currently in 3 bands:

Junk Mail *points to sig* is a ska/punk band that a bunch of my friends and I threw together. We haven't really done anything so far, for a variety of reasons (work schedules, one of our members lives 20 minutes away from the rest of us, singer going to college, etc. etc.) I play guitar and sing backing vocals in this one.

I also sing and play guitar in a cover band with my dad (drums/backing vocals) and my little brother (bass). We're playing at my grad party Saturday, and basically we just jam on songs we like for the hell of it. We don't have a name...my dad suggested "Vibe Raider" :lol:

My 3rd band is still just in an idea phase. The drummer from Junk Mail and I wanna do a techno/experimental/punk (Cross between like NIN and newer AFI stuff I guess) side project. Since he and I both play drums and guitar, we might do some instrument switching on different songs, but right now we don't even know who all will be in the band.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

Unrelated, I'm forming a new band called Zwamba The Bug-Eyed Pickle on Saturday. And we're playing our first show. On Saturday. In front of about 40 people. We've never played music before together, so this should be interesting.
    I'm trying to get someone to tape it, so if I do, I'll YouTube it for you people.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

You better do a dance a la Cedric and Omar style.

Or do it At The Drive-In style and run and jump around.

Branden

Oh, you know it.
    We're playing three punk covers, Circle Jerks' Wild In The Streets, Black Flag's Rise Above, and either Angry Samoans' Steak Knife or something by Dead Kennedys.

Then we're going to play "Batteries", the first song I wrote, and probably "Fat" or one of my other Branden's Band songs, and then a new song I wrote for that full-length I was talking about called "Touching Myself".

But don't worry, Omar-Salsa-Dancing will be in full effect.

erasethepain

erasethepain Well-Known Member

Me and Derek are in a goth-rock/opra band called The Big Weiner Fusion. Derek sings, a dude Dave plays guitar, and I just stand there and throw my hands up. we did have a budget til derek spent it all on weed.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

My best-friend & I are musing about starting a band akin to the style of Cake or Beck, since we've been on a binge of those two artists for awhile now. The still will probably be heavily influenced by The Black Keys, too. Basically, anything so that I don't have to actually sing.

I want to name it something really fucking dumb, like the Camera Phones or something.

Minus

I just recieved the sheet music from the band. It looks like stuff I could play in my sleep.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

lolz....awesome to all of you ^^...

My band and I are gonna record a demo CD (like I've said be4) just....we changed the tracks and we're doing 2 own songs instead of one....and we're making bandshirts 'cause we have a little fanbase at school since our performance....lolz :p

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Well got a call from my bandleader today and for our show tomorrow we are recording the performance live! So hopefully I can get a few tracks to you guys to see what I'm up to.

Seinfeld

YAY! ^_^ looking forward to it!! ^^

Methybrea

Yeah just did the show...our first set didn't turn out well, but our 2nd and 3rd sets recorded well so once we get it mixed/mastered I'll post some tracks for y'all. Some of the highlights of our show would probably be "Midnight Hour/Mustang Sally" by Mitch Ryder, "Rocketman" by Elton John, "Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel, and "Riverboat Fantasy" by David Wilcox.

Seinfeld

Kewl ^_^... can't wait to see wat U did with those songs ^_^

Branden

Well, my first ever show went pretty well. I played for about 25 people. The drummer, guitarist, and 2nd vocalist that I was supposed to play with got too embarassed/forgot their drums, so it became a solo show for me. I play 3 songs, and then about a 4 minute spontaneous techno improv at the end. The girl I invited brought her camera, and I talked to her tonight, and apparently she actually did record video. I guess the first 20 seconds of my first song got cut off, and she ran out of memory before the techno jam, but as soon as she finds/buys a new USB cable/card reader, she's going to bring them over. And you people will be the first or maybe third person to see them. I tried super hard to make it overly-emotional, so I hope it turned out at least humorous, if the music isn't spot-on. I was kind of embarassed though, because the girl I had invited I truly truly love, and we were getting along really well that day, so I didn't want to embarass her, and there was some girl I'd never met that was sitting next to me that was absolutely gorgeous. So I was a tad more reserved than I would've liked to have been. But oh well. You people will see soon enough.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
    Methybrea

Sounds good, although that sucks about your band! What instrument do you play? Guitar? How did you do a techno jam then?

Post the vid when its ready :D

Edit: By the way....how do you FORGET drums?!?!

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

Sounds like that was an awesome day for you, Branden! I'd love to see that video too.