Your own bands

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Seinfeld, Jul 9, 2006.

androidkaita

androidkaita Well-Known Member

Hi, I just wanted to ask your advice on something, as you all seem very talented. Me and my friends want to possibly start a band. But we dont have a singer. We were thinking that this year we cold play at the talent show to see if we are any good (we'll know if we even get to perform lol). And we were just going to do a cover, probably something by System of a Down or Linkin Park, especially with their new album coming up. Do you think this is a good idea? and also, what should we do about not having a singer? I dont know how to get vocals off of an MP3 but if I could then that would be great. Also, I am a guitarist and we dont have a bass player either, do oyu think any guitar player could play bass?

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

Bass shouldn't be a problem in finding...but...Without a singer...how are you gonna cover sumthing that has 2 vocalists with no vocalists?...sry buit it's the truth :ermm: well anyway I hope you get to perform and also hope that it works out ^_^

androidkaita

Thanks for the encouragement. But didnt I say that I wanted to find a way to rip vocals off of a song? If I didnt than that was my bad.

Seinfeld

Oh...maybe you did...I might have misunderstood sumthing ^_^...but still...ripping the voice?...

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I think you'd be better off just singing the parts yourself while playing or having the drummer sing. Sure, you could just rip the vocals from an MP3, but that's really weird, in my opinion, and it'll be a hassle if you decide to play live. I think if I were you guys and you're really serious about this, try really hard to hook up with a vocalist, don't be afraid to talk to new people. Finding people to play System/Linkin Park-esque music and covers shouldn't be a problem, as a lot of people would be like-minded to that kind of music. Until you find someone, sing the stuff yourself, get your parts right so all a vocalist has to do is come right into an already polished band. And it'd be a better idea to write original music, at least to me. Unless you cover a really obscure band or songwriter, or you do it in a brand new way. By brand new way, I don't mean as though Korn covered Linkin Park, I mean more like Dillinger Escape Plan covering Justin Timberlake. Something completely different. But do whatever dude, it's your shit.

Also, I think he was just saying he forgot his drums, because he was a little embarrassed to play these songs. But oh well. I think he and I are going to do some actual recording this weekend, so we'll see what comes out of this. I'd like to try and move into some more serious musical experiments, rather than doing humorous stuff all the time. I have some ideas floating around, I just need to get some more tools to help me. Acoustic guitar, new microphone, bass guitar, ProTools, etc. Also, Odaton, I play keyboards/piano, not guitar. I can't play guitar for the life of me. I did the techno jam by playing a drum beat I had recorded onto the memory card earlier, and just improvising some stuff with an analog synth voice through the keyboard. Haha. I was planning on doing the punk covers by playing a bass guitar synth through the guitar. That would've been great.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
    Seinfeld

Uhm...I agree on singing yourself but wouldn't it be like really hard to do chesters parts?...not just hitting the right tone...but screaming to...I've tried a place for my head so many times and I still strain my voice (and that doesn't happen to me that often 'cause I'm already used to a lot of screaming) so...if you do cover LP wth singing and all maybe it really is a better idea to cover it in a different way like Branden said or you luck out and really get some guy with vocals who can really tear that shit up...then you'd be able to cover it easily...I guess...^_^ (just my opinion)

Branden

Yeah, I'm assuming that since they didn't say anything about singing themselves, they're probably not the best of vocalists, so maybe going after Bennington themselves isn't a good thing to try. I mean, Chester is a good vocalist. I don't really care for him anymore, or his band, but you still have to show some respect. Maybe they could tone it down or something. Who knows.

Seinfeld

Whoa...not...caring for chester?...well that's you're "on your own" (lol) (you mean his side project right) anyway...maybe KoRn would be easier...I mean...jonathan davis is kick-ass when it comes to singin too but chester so beats him when it comes to really chalenging the voice...(I'm only saying KoRn might be easier 'cause me and my band are trying to pull off did my time and vocals are like the easiest thing to do on that song ^_^)

Branden

I meant Linkin Park, I didn't know he had a side project. What's it called? I might have to check it out. And I don't really want to get into a "You don't like Linkin Park?! Oh My Goodness!" debate here, so I'll just say their music doesn't really give me any feeling anymore.

But maybe Korn is the way to go. It does seem simpler. Oh well. I'm going to back off this thread and let androidkaita reply.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

I have run into the vocals issue many times, also in terms of mics and amplifiers so that you can hear the vocalists if you have them...many a time singers we've had played with either shitty amplification or no amplification so that we couldn't hear them!

What our band did when we didn't have a vocalist was did some instrumental work, although I don't know if that's the route you want to take. We did some metal, Opeth/Metallica/Tool-inspired instrumentals to perform, and for the other song we played we usually did a cover (our guitarist sang Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" decently) and one time we jammed on a blues which is really fun (for me anyways) and the whole concept is simple enough so that most of the crowd likes it.

If not you could also take the Linkin Park/SOAD versions and play the vocal melody on guitar or another instrument. Well Serj would probably be pretty hard but it is an idea!

androidkaita

Ok, thank you everyone for the great ideas. I didnt say anything about singing ourselves, because well, we never really tried, and I dont think any of us are that great, but I guess we could always just like make everyone sing and see if any of us sound good lol. h and By the way, would'nt KoRn be hard o sing? I mean like trying to sound like Jonathon Davis and all, his voice is really unique. And my one of my friends who is going to be in the band can probably right a good song, hes like one of the best poetry writers I've ever seen.

And last, so no Bass Player is not a problem?

Branden

I don't think for the music you'll be playing apparently, bass is a very prominent up-front-type instrument. I personally love bass, and think it's a wonderful instrument that if I had music my way, it would overshadow guitar. So try and find a bass player. It'll definitely balance the sound. But at this point, with the music you seem to want to play, it's not an absolute necessity. The bass parts to those songs should be relatively easy, except some System songs. It depends which you're doing.

And if sounding like Davis is a problem, don't try to sound like him. This is a cover, your interpretation -- it doesn't need to sound exactly like the recorded version of it. Do what you want with it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
    Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

If you can play guitar, you can pretty much play bass. At least metal bass anyways. So if you have two gutiarists and have a bass guitar handy, you could switch pretty easily I'd say.

androidkaita

Ok thank you so much everyone, The talent show is still almost a year from now, but I thought I should get all the information now so I would know when school started again.

Thanks a bunch to everyone.

Seinfeld

Uhm...just about KoRn...that'd be hard to do without bass but even with jon's voice being unique it's easy to hit the notes he does and it actually comes off pretty well if you cover it 'cause it just shows that your band's capable of playing something that unique in your own style....get what I mean? ^_^

to branden: I didn't mean it like that I just wanted to get what you meant...I couldn't care less if you liked LP or not I just wanted to know where you're at with that so I don't go on babbling about them and piss you off with something you're no longer interested in ^_^

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

guys, just bypass all the Korn and Linkin Park stuff, and grow up. And cover Ashlee Simpson.

;)

Seinfeld

Uhm...yaaah....sure....I'll just cover ashlee simpson with the voice of a 15 year old boy.... :p lol

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I don't know, I think a metal translation of "L.O.V.E" could be pretty interesting. It's obvious what you have to do...

Change the lyrics around and make it "H.A.T.E."

Seinfeld

LOL...okay...I do believe you've convinced me ^_^

androidkaita

lol, Ashlee Simpson :p .
    I just thought of another problem with doing KoRn, they use seven string guitars, and you are very right that without bass it would sound bad.