Your stance on guns, depression?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by sickcycle, Oct 5, 2005.

Anthony

Anthony Active Member

very very impressive arguement. the best thing being the fact that you actually back up your theories with statistics. just make sure that they have been cross referenced with other sources - from experience i find that actually showing 2/3 sources makes it seem to be a solid statement.
    but yes, very intelligent. a rarity on here but certainly well worth the wait

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

i actually thought about getting a gun for protection but i am worried about hurting myself(as opposed to someone else)...
    it is very hard to go back from your decision to kill yourself after you pull the trigger and that scares me.
    i think that is a good thing...for the moment.

my father was shot to death...as a result we weren't allowed to have guns in like a 10 mile radius of our house. guns scare me. seriously. i even see a cop with a gun and it freaks me out. like oh my god a real live GUN!!! i don't know what it is but they are scary.

and when you get a gun and you live with someone else, you have to trust them enough to know they won't do something they shouldn't. that is hard to find someone like that these days.

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

Family Guy +1

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Well just take a look at two neighbouring nations, the US (little gun control) and Canada (lots of gun control), from www.guncontrol.ca...which has gotten its info from Government sources. If guns were distributed equally among the population, 1 in 4 (25%) Canadians would own a gun, compared with 4 in 5 Americans (80%). Now, if you take the homicide rate of each country per 100,000 as of 1998:

Canada: 1.83
    US: 6.62

Then the percentage of homicides commited using firearms:

Canada: 27%
    US: 66% (and 75% of those with handguns, which in Canada are illegal for the general public to have)

These statistics alone justify the need to control the sale of guns. I think guns are suitable for recreational purposes like hunting, and shooting at the firing range for a hobby, but not to carry around for "safety". My uncle recently got charged because in an emergency he was found with a gun in the back of his truck that wasn't his and wasn't put away properly. However unfair, I think strict action should be taken against guns and gun violence.

If someone is in depression or is extremely angry and they have a gun at their disposal...don't you think that in their irrational state they will be more likely to use it? Of COURSE people shoot the guns but sometimes people's actions cannot be accounted for so their needs to be control on what can...the guns themselves. Another huge factor is disparity and gun violence. The increase in Toronto's homicides (71 this year, which is a lot for that city) is majorly due to gang wars in the poorest parts of the city where people have no opportunity, so they resort to violence to survive.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

That was only written into the constitution in the event that Britian reinvaded the United States. It never happened. If you ask me, your 'right as Americans to own and bare arms' has been abused.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Indeed, a Constitution that is over 200 years old that contains ideas from that period in time....back then women were also not considered "people" as well. SO you AMEND the constitution, Neil, for that reason!

rosanna

the majority of murderers don't have a mental disability.

saunderitos

saunderitos Banned

Like the British do, We can not carry guns and we do fine. Good ol cricket bat/golfclub to the back of the head if need be.

(or something like that :p) They arnt evil, but they are a disgusting invention. What need should we have to hurl small pieces of lead at each other at 3000 m/s? What need should we have to kill each other?

Ban guns, less school shootings, less street murders, less successful muggings, less armed robberies. No more trigger happy police.

Intergalactic Christ

Intergalactic Christ Blood On Ice LPA VIP

If the criminals have guns, it makes sense to give the cops guns too. If I was a policewoman, I wouldn't like to go out to a situation where the criminals were possibly armed, whilst unarmed myself.

Remind you of anything?

saunderitos

saunderitos Banned

or vise versa, criminals now carry guns more often because the police carry

Intergalactic Christ

The police in this country don't carry guns. Personally, I would feel safer knowing police were armed.

When the incident with the policewoman getting shot was in the news, I saw a bloke on TV saying that cops carrying guns would intimidate the citizens, which they didn't want. Honestly, in this day and age, I don't think you can have the whole "friendly neighbourhood bobby" thing anymore, they have to have some clout behind them.

arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

I'm against guns in homes, military and police are the only people that should have guns

rosanna

if they are the only people with guns, other people would be able to get ahold of them. kinda like drugs. that was a good point that my mother made to me once.

i think no one should have guns. they need to be banned. sayonara, adios.

i know that isn't going to happen, but honestly i think people are too irresponsible to handle that big of a responsibility.

LProx4life

LProx4life Well-Known Member

You know if we didnt have guns in the first place we wouldn't of had this, we would be gun free but since wars started they made guns as a defending method so we couldnt blame them for that. But we can blame them for making it legal for people to be able to carry a gun if you have a permit because think about it if no one on the street had guns people wouldnt need guns as a protection sort of way.

saunderitos

saunderitos Banned

Sorry, I thought you were American ^^ I am British aswell :p. I still disagree with you though, police should not carry guns. If someone shoots them,how is a gun going to help them? It is NOT. They should buff up on kevlar.

Intergalactic Christ

If a citizen gets shot in a crowded place, how are the police supposed to protect the public with... a stick?

saunderitos

saunderitos Banned

We have done well enough so far,but I am no police expert so I really couldn't say.

Intergalactic Christ

I'll go research that in a bit (after school) ;)

Anyway, I noticed something in your post

"If someone shoots them,how is a gun going to help them? It is NOT. They should buff up on kevlar."

What about the citizens? Should we all go around wearing kevlar too?

saunderitos

saunderitos Banned

If you are worried about getting shot then yes. I couldn't care in the least really, I don't think i am gonna get shot.

DIJ Metal

DIJ Metal Banned

if you ask me guns are stupid and they should all be destroyed. Unless you're using one in war they aren't necissary.