[AUDIO] "Rebellion" Premieres on Zane Lowe - BBC Radio 1

Discussion in 'News' started by Louis, Jun 3, 2014.

1. unity7985

unity7985 Well-Known Member

Like all the songs so far im so happy to hear the band back to a more instrumental approach but I cant help feeling the songs are just alright. Not great. One thing that I think LP really progressed on the last few albums were melody's and choruses. So far that seems to really be lacking on this album so far. Also the production except for until its gone which sounded a lot more polished than the others. I'm just not getting that holy shit feeling that I get with LP usually. Funny because I totally prefer the first 2 albums over the new stuff but when I think back I remember absolutely loving burn it down when it came out. Having the chorus stuck in my head. With this album so far its more like YES guitars and drums!! Than that kind of wears off and the songs just seem to be missing something. It is still early and im sure they will grow on me over time. I really hope there is at least one song with slow,heavy riffs and guitars like don't stay or lying from you.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. MarcusArelius

MarcusArelius Well-Known Member

I don't really follow what you are trying to say. This song is not a throwback to previous LP in any way, shape, or form. They completely ditched their formula on this song....did it work? Not in my opinion.

3. whattheblink

whattheblink Kyles To The Kingdom

Three....more....hours!!!!!!!!! Time is going by so slowly!!! Ughhhhhhhhhhh for all I know Blake was wrong!

4. linkinloch

linkinloch Well-Known Member

It's funny cause Linkin Park is the only "Nu-Metal" band that I like. I don't like Korn, Limp Bizkit and shit, and Hybrid Theory and Meteora are still my favorite LP albums.

5. Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

Faint, Wretches and Kings, Lost In The Echo and Wastelands, Bleed it out etc. ultimately sound more or less the same. There's less room to play with a structure that's *Mike rapping -> Chester singing chorus -> (x2) -> bridge -> last chorus*.

Now for example Castle Of Glass, Burning In the Skies both have similiar song structures but there's much moore room to make the songs sound vastly different from one another.

6. Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

I think Mike should cut it out with the rapping and sing more. He can rap on FM stuff or Steve Aoki one offs. I am much more interested in his singing these days.

7. linkinloch

Do you really think Lost In The Echo and Bleed it Out sound the same? :dafuq:

8. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

LP could cure cancer and the lot of you would still whine about something.

9. Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

I get your point and agree. But they broke already with that "tradition" - couple times: "Valentines Day", "The Little Things Give You Away", "Blackout", "The Catalyst", "Until It Breaks", even "Forgotten". Of course they can break with that more often, no problem with that. But every song-structure - traditional or more experimental - can have the same quality and can generate excitement (or boredom).

EDIT:
    No they don't sound the same, because they are placed in different genres, have different instruments and a different atmosphere.

That's what i meant, with my previous post. But even when there isn't more room in some songs, they still can be different from each other.

10. Jason

I think he was just referring to the "Mike raps, chester sings x2, then bridge then end chorus" pattern. All of those songs share that pattern.

11. thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

LP grew some fucking balls for this album. Loving everything so far except Until its Gone but starting to see how that song fits into the album to slow it down.

So stoked to see them in august

12. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I think a good mix, which from reviews this album has, is the best way to go.

13. linkinloch

Yeah, I got that but even having the same structure one song has a Punk-Rock "raw" vibe while the other is a robotic multi layered electro-driven Metal song. Just my opinion ;)

14. Jason

Only time will tell - a well placed Mike rap verse is always appreciated, don't get me wrong.

15. Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

I said "more or less". Sounds still more the same than Castle of Glass compared to Burning In The Skies does. And my point was that there's much less room to work with even if you manage to get couple songs sound a bit different.

16. merrillmind

merrillmind Well-Known Member

I'm talking about "Wastelands" not "Rebellion". Clearly "Rebellion" isn't like "Wastelands". "Rebellion" is a great song for sure as well.

17. Rebel Traj

Rebel Traj Well-Known Member

Listening Rebellion on Spotify now with nice sound quality and I gotta say; WOW, this song gets better with each listen. I mean, The Catalyst I hated and then it became my favourite LP song, but Rebellion I love at first listen and it just gets better, what a great song! It is really at the level of ATS. Can't wait for this album! I so hope it will defeat ATS even though ATS is a flippin' masterpiece. Apples and oranges.
    Rebellion > Guilty All The Same > Wastelands > Until It's Gone, till now.

18. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

No I understand. I also agree that MIke singing more would be a great thing. But I also feel a good balance would be great.

I think Derek said Mike raps on 4 songs and sings on 3-4? (not sure if correct). Thats a good balance if you ask me. Although I would like Mike to sing more than that, on paper it seems like a good balance.

19. Rezanator

Rezanator Well-Known Member

OK I finally got to listen to the song and I'm surprised by how catchy it is. I'm liking it so far. The official lyric video sounds very fuzzy. I don't know if it's me or if it's supposed to sound like that.

20. Jason

I really enjoy when they almost blend Mike's and Chester's voices together, on the same note (not harmonization). Some parts of ATS I wasn't sure who was singing what, and I thought that was really cool. Like at the end of Blackout.