Bands That Sound the Same

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Methybrea, Feb 4, 2004.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Today I guess record labels are capitalizing on market trends and signing bands that sound very similar to each other. There are many bands that have this fairly grungy sound mixed (sometimes) with softer songs. But all these bands stick to the same formula and other than the singers voice there are no 'distinguishing' traits to the band as far as the music goes.

Adema (a bit heavier perhaps)
    Taproot
    Nickelback
    Three Days Grace
    Saliva
    Creed (give some respect as they were one of the first)
    Our Lady Peace
    Theory of A Deadman
    Three Doors Down
    Forty Foot Echo
    Staind
    Doubledriver
    Seether
    Cold
    Etc.
    Etc.

The list goes on and on...most of these bands basically share the SAME sound, its pretty ridiculous I think. Why does everyone think that this is happening to mainstream alt-rock?

Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Well-Known Member

Nirvana and Puddle Of Mudd sound alike in my opinion.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

I think they sign bands based on their talent and their potential appeal to the audiences rather than the type of music they play. And besides, the other bands are succeding so why shouldnt they. I agree the sameness is ridiculous.

coley8605

coley8605 Guest

It sells, so they're gonna keep on

whenthisbegan

whenthisbegan Well-Known Member

Theory of a Deadman sound EXACTLY like Nickelback and I cannot stand either of them.

And how does Our Lady Peace sound like all those bands? I don't think they do. I think Raine has a very unique voice and sound that isn't even like the other bands you've listed.

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

I know what you mean Odaton, especially guys like you with heavier tastes can understand which are all those bands that sound totally alike. I know when a band is a cheap rip-off when they sound too fake or too boring. IMO, Adema are not in this category, Saliva are much more nu metal than the othera, Our Lady Peace is unique, and Cold is DEFINATELY in this category.

Numb Girl

Numb Girl Well-Known Member

Blink 182:One song like another.... :wth:

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

but there isnt a band who has the same sound as them ;)

i guess

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

I know most people here like Lifehouse maybe and Nickelback. But to me, I dunno for some reason the just sound the same to me. :mellow:

But oh well my opinion. Most of you will disagree, most of you will not but I never was one of those people who grew to like them...

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

I think that Creed started something and Nickelback kinda copied it and then Theory of a Deadman just said "Hey look! We can make some cash off this ####. Let's do it!"

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Nickeback and Theary Of A Deadman is the only stuff i can think off

im glad theres no limpbizkit rip-offs B)

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

Yeah I agree same with Creed too. It does sound like they copied them.

Even though I don't like Creed either.. :mellow: :lol:

Hybrid_Bunny

Hybrid_Bunny Super Member LPA Super Member

I just think that Scott Stapp of Creed tries to sound too much like Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam when he sings. Puddle of Mudd's "She Hates Me" sounds a bit like Nirvana especially at the beginning, but that's about it.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Adema is pretty unique. I've yet to find another band whose guitar sounds like theirs. And, the reason his voice is a lot like Jonathon Davis' voice is because they are half brothers. Marky doesn't try to sound like Jon, but he can't help the fact he does.

I've also been listening to Creed and Nickelback for years now, and I don't see how either of those bands sound anything alike. I've been listening to Creed since 1998 and Nickelback since 2000, and neither bands sound similar at all. I also don't see how Lifehouse sounds like Nickelback just the same. I've been listening to Lifehouse since early 2001, and I can't find one of their songs that sounds like a Nickelback song. The vocals, the instruments... none of them sound the same. Lifehouse isn't nearly as heavy and they actually have pretty meaningful lyrics, where as Nickelback does not.

I also can't find a band that sounds anything like Taproot. The vocals are the most unique thing about Taproot, and so are the guitars. Like with Adema, I can't find another band whose guitar sounds like Taproot's.

Three Days Grace also doesn't sound like anyone else I listen to. They might sound a bit like Finger Eleven, but Finger Eleven are one of their influences. I don't see how you figure TDG sounds like anyone else.

As for Staind: Face it, they sold out. Each record got softer and more heartfelt than the record before, and their next record is just going to get softer and even more heartfelt than 14 Shades of Grey. The only other band that sounds like them is Cold, and that's only by way of vocals. The music itself is a lot different. Cold also doesn't sound like anyone else I listen to.

Default is pretty unique as well. They aren't even mainstream, though, so I have no idea why you included them on here. Chances are, if you mention Default to someone, they'll look at you funny. Their vocals set them apart from alot of bands. The same goes for Our Lady Peace.

Seether and Saliva sound alike, but I don't know any other bands that sound like them, except maybe Nickelback, but that's simply because it's the style of the genre. Theory of a Deadman sounds like Nickelback because Nickelback crafted that band to get the sound they wanted. (Theory of a Deadman is on Nickelback's label.)

3 Doors Down are just another mainstream act, but I think they're more Southern Rock than Alternative Rock. 3DD's main influence is Lynyrd Skynyrd, and I can't find any other bands that sound like 3DD or LS.

As for the others, I haven't heard of them before.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Cold and Staind are somewhat alike. Cold are the far more superior band in my eyes and Scooter and Aaron just coincidentally sound alike. I don't think they craft their vocals to sound like one another. Cold's guitars are much more complexed and highger pitched than Staind's grungy songs. They both have acoustic songs, but it's hard to have acoustic songs which don't sound somewhat similar.

T.O.A.D and Nickelback sound alike too. Nickelback are way heavier though. I think Nickelback signed them so that people who went to their shows wouldn't be alienated by a completely different opening band.

The only thing about TDG that I find similar to anyone is Finger Eleven. Adam and Scott sound kinda alike but that's it. Their guitars are different too.

Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

creed sounds to much like pearl jam

Steph

Steph Ambient

Staind sounds too much like Pearl Jam....

Will

Well that's new.. :mellow: :wth:

The only reason that Creed sounds a lot like Pearl Jam is because Pearl Jam is Creed's biggest influence.

The same goes for Puddle of Mudd.

Puddle of Mudd's biggest influence is Nirvana, and that's why Puddle of Mudd sounds a lot like Nirvana.

Steph

Steph Ambient

Well that's new.. :mellow: :wth:
    [/b][/quote]
    don't ask me, I'm ####ed up...they just sounds alike to me....

Will

don't ask me, I'm ####ed up...they just sounds alike to me.... [/b][/quote]
    You're not ####ed up. I've just never heard anyone say Staind sounded like Pearl Jam, that's all. Most people say they try to copy Alice in Chains. lol.