Do you believe in God/are you religious?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Dean, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Yes everything has a beginning, and God had a beginning as well. So what created God is like asking what created carbon in being the one fundamental element that has scientifically created everything in the universe. If you believe in science and not in religion, answer me this, if carbon is the basis of life and has created everything, what created carbon?

Yeah you scientific hotshots aren't so pretty now. :lol:

2. Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

You could even ask this.

Why is there something, rather than nothing?

3. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Carbon comes from lighter elements during fusion and supernovae, I believe. Same with the other elements heavier than Hydrogen.

Then you can ask where Hydrogen came from. There's always going to be unknowns in science. We don't claim to know everything. We just use logic from the things we observe and piece things together. That doesn't mean that filling the voids with religion and saying everything unknown is made from God is the right answer. Not knowing stuff is ok. Which is why not knowing what came before the Big Bang isn't a huge deal. Yeah, we really want to know, but we're not going to try to figure it out until we start getting some evidence. We're not going to make things up to ease our conscience. As it is, we have no idea why the universe is. And that's fucking fascinating to me.

4. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

First, carbon was formed by nuclear fusion in stars.

Second, if you're a believer in science over faith you don't pretend to know everything. That's the whole point of science. Trying to find out, instead of settling for explanations that don't actually make logical sense like how there must be a God because everything in the universe is too complex to have just happened, only God himself wasn't created despite how being omnipotent basically makes him as complex as it gets, because IT'S GOD LOL.

http://www.csicop.org/sb/show/why_is_there_something_rather_than_nothing

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  5. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I find it weird people ask "why is there something rather than nothing?" in defence of God. That something seems to very much include God anyway.

6. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

So I take it the Christians in here believe dinosaurs never existed?

7. travz21

Scientists planted that evidence there. And we all know carbon dating isn't reliable and can be altered.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Ah, yes. And let's not forget what our good ole friend Bill O'Reilly said a few months back about how tides work:
    [video=youtube;--es4FGwKQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--es4FGwKQg[/video]
    Such perfect logic, right?

BTW, so much win on Colbert's part, LOL

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  9. Minus

Which is why Uranium-lead dating is the way to go.

10. ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

I believe in Dinosaurs? And yes, carbon dating gets very inaccurate the older the object is.

11. Minus

I need your opinion about women teaching men again.

And believing in dinosaurs means the Bible is wrong.

12. Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

I believe that dinosuars existed. There's lots of proof to this.

I was adding to Sarah's question at the end of her post. Instead of just asking what created carbon, posting the question of why there is existence is a question she could've also asked.

I've already stated my belief, and I don't intend on staying in this thread too long.

Esual: Yeah, I noticed that the question seems to be used quite often as well. It does seem to assumed the answer, but then again, everyone does happen to ask the question once or twice in their life time.

Dean: Thanks. So why do Bosons and Fermions have the properties as such? Why aren't they something else but similar? I don't have an answer to these, nor am I looking for one (Since.. well, lets just say that I'm not only not very well-read in quantum theory and mathematics, and that it's also way over my head :lol:. I study people, not math. )

13. Trumtram

Trumtram Well-Known Member

i'm a big fan of believing in fairytales and god and stuff, you know, the kind of thing that watches over me when i feel bad and fail at life.

on a serious note, feel offended or not, religion is one of the worst things of mankind. while it helps a good portion of people by having a friend in tough times it caused so many victims because of different believes. i like to imagine a world with just, well, people? but then again i love to live after a book which guides me through life...
    it is a relict of evolution and i really hope that science will kick its ass one day.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  14. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I can see how the negative attributes of religion can be exaggerated. But when was the last time that science brought people together in the time of despair? That's the great thing about religion is that it has this power to bring people together in the saddest of times.

Both science and religion have their questionable timelines and information, but religion holds so much more over science any day given. Science has even proven that Jesus existed.

15. travz21

Are the negative attributes really exaggerated though?

People who aren't religious help people in need because they know it's the right thing to do. They don't need other reasons.

Religion is for people who do need another reason to put them into action. Do you think religion is better than science and logic because it helps people band together who wouldn't have done so on their own? That seems almost backwards to me. It makes those people look worse for needing to rely on something to make them a better person.

16. Mitch

Mitch YTB

In what context do you mean religion holds so much more over science? I fail to see how it does.

17. Trumtram

Trumtram Well-Known Member

religion was used as a desperate attempt to describe the stuff that no one could understand, too. yet it still is. since then science did way more to help us understanding our world and gave us explanations instead of "hey, god did this, what else is there to say?". there weren't any valid proofs for creationism but more and more against it. just be patient :).

18. Minus

Yeah, religion brought us such great things as the Crusades.

Science has had way more of an enlightenment period than any religion ever will.

And according to I Timothy, you shouldn't be 'teaching' us that religion is better. You're supposed to be silent and submissive.

Also, Jesus isn't white. Just thought you should know.

19. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Well, the link I posted is probably the best answer we'll get from science haha. I just think things are the way they are because this is just how things have happened to turn out, and that there's no probably no spiritual purpose. But I think you can still find a meaning of life even if you believe that.

20. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Not even the most extreme Atheist is going to argue that Jesus didn't exist. He did exist, it's actually one of the only few factual things in the bible. But Jesus wasn't born to a virgin mother, he didn't have magical healing powers, he couldn't walk on water or turn water into wine, and he didn't come back from the dead.

I have no problem with Jesus, in fact, I think he was a good guy. He taught to care about the poor and the sick and all that. It's not Jesus who I don't like, it's his followers who scare the shit out of me. If people were more Christlike and less Christian I might not have such a big problem with religion.